YouTube Opinion Gaming culture on YouTube is changing... not for the Better.

mcnakahr

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
When I restarted my channel, I didn't expect much. I expected as much as anyone starting out would, slow progress. That's what I got at first. The traffic I got was slow. I do proper SEO and I always take my time creating my thumbnails. A half a week into things something started happening, I was gaining subs. Now ordinarily this isn't bad but the way I was gaining them was. I only got maybe 4 subs from video watch pages. The rest of the growth seemed to be on my channel page. I gained 20 subs in the frame of three weeks. The traffic to the videos did not increase to match the subs. Interaction didn't grow either. I had to delete a few comments regarding requests to sub4sub even though I have it on my bio that I don't participate and will block if asked. I don't understand what's happening here. Was I only getting sub growth because people thought they could get a sub out of me? Is this the direction new Gaming channels on YouTube are headed? Say it isn't so. I'm trying to do things professionally, I do my best with each video. They are not just games being played on screen, I provide commentary. I hadn't played them yet but I had planned to make video walkthroughs of games I know well. I'm trying to be different and it seems that's hurting me. I can't get rid of the ghost subs, I'm aware of that. I have not changed my content or the format. Yet how do I proceed from here? (Before anyone complains, no I don't expect or think I can be successful overnight. In fact, I thought I was going to get 20 subs in the next couple months, not three weeks, which is why I'm suspecting the sub growth isn't from people who wanted to support me in the first place)

Poulpc

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
great channel introduction :)

getting subscribers that don't watch your content has always been a thing on YouTube

SBG GAMING

New User
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
First of all block linked comments you will get a comment with a YouTube link every few hours or so trying to steel your subs and secondly that ghost subs has been on YouTube for years a lot of old timers mention it to me and some Sat without them they would not have gain true loyal subs I as a gamer are having the same problem.

OP
OP
mcnakahr

mcnakahr

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Well, I indicated I would block people if I got sib4sub requests because they were coming in like that, killing the average watch time for most of my videos. Also, some view having more subs then views as a sign of bad content or botting and/or sub4sub was used. I'd like trying to stand out if getting me the wrong type of attention. Yet I feel I must stand out otherwise people will see my channel as "just another gaming channel." I'm sure you can agree with me that standing out and not with the crowd is important for channel growth.

SBG GAMING

New User
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Yes especially for gaming channel like us because YouTube gaming g community is big and everyone's taste change that's why we have to keep them entertain and keep them playing the game also

OP
OP
mcnakahr

mcnakahr

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Poulpc said:
great channel introduction :)

getting subscribers that don't watch your content has always been a thing on YouTube
It wasn't a channel introduction, it's apparent you didn't read the whole thing. Also, I really don't see getting subs who don't watch as a good thing at all. It makes me feel as if I'm doing something wrong with my content. Plus things have changed, yes they reward you for certain amounts of subs. Yes, it's one of the things needed for a monetization review BUT it isn't as important as watch time and average view duration are. In my opinion, having 100 inactive subs with only 5-10 views per video makes it look like the content creator is sub4subbing even if they are not and will eventually detract from anyone subbing at all. Another thing to consider that I've noticed is some will subscribe without looking at your content with a promise of watching but then only deliberately watch for a few seconds, my traffic is so low I was able to catch that a few times.

SBG GAMING

New User
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I am also having a traffic and discovery problem since yesterday when I woke up YouTube decided to -18 subs from me because they haven't watched my latest 2 videos and is fake apperantly which is a few of my friend and they can't sub back to me so I was kinda frustrated about that

Poulpc

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I am also having a traffic and discovery problem since yesterday when I woke up YouTube decided to -18 subs from me because they haven't watched my latest 2 videos and is fake apperantly which is a few of my friend and they can't sub back to me so I was kinda frustrated about that
wow from what I know the only way you can lose subscribers is if youtube deletes fake accounts, or people unsubscribe
if YouTube deleted subscribers for not watching someone's videos, I would practically have no subscribers, since over 99% of all My Views are from non-subscribers

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
All I see is 13 videos on your channel. That is not enough content for anyone to commit to your brand. Get 130 videos up first, then ask this question. Your goal should not be more subscribers but more content, like an order of magnitude more content. 13 videos is not enough for you to determine the state of gaming channels on YouTube.

The real test: Are you willing to keep going even though you aren't seeing "success"?

Last edited:

SBG GAMING

New User
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I'm not doing it for success I'm doing it cuz I love it and I found out why I was losing subs and they can't resubscribe it's something about Google crime slot of people was also complaining about it on fb

Ater

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy Pro
I tought subs for subs was a thing of the past. I have a gaming channel and I belive I gotten lessen then 5 subs for subs comments during the last two years combined.

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Then you're doing for more than just the love of doing it. That alone puts you into a higher category of YouTuber. as such requires a completely different mindset to achieve the goal you want.

OP
OP
mcnakahr

mcnakahr

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
All I see is 13 videos on your channel. That is not enough content for anyone to commit to your brand. Get 130 videos up first, then ask this question. Your goal should not be more subscribers but more content, like an order of magnitude more content. 13 videos is not enough for you to determine the state of gaming channels on YouTube.

The real test: Are you willing to keep going even though you aren't seeing "success"?
Dude, please stop this crap! I am tired of you trying to compare me to every person who thinks running a channel is easy just because my niche is gaming. I know all the stuff you keep saying, I do not need to be bullied about it because even though I am running a gaming channel it does not mean I am trying to take an easy way out at all. I was speaking about recently new gaming channels that seem to only care about subs NOT specifically mine. I would appreciate it if you would stop assuming I'm "trying to get quick success" because I am not. We already discussed this before and yet you don't get it. I know I have only a few videos... I know my channel is fairly new again I wasn't talking about specifically my channel. You obviously didn't read my first post. You just wanted to come here and act like I'm one of dozens of "get rich scheme" minded gaming channel owners and that is not fair, dude. I get it, you have seen dozens of people running gaming channels just for quick fame. Several people joined recently with that as a dream goal, I read it in introductions. Just because a lot of gaming channel owners expect that doesn't mean all gaming channel owners do. You are being biased. You don't know me, how hard I work on each video (I don't just record then upload them) and I doubt you have watched a single video of mine to see that I am trying to bring something different to the table when it comes to gaming content. Also thanks for rudely invalidating my opinion too. It doesn't matter how many videos I have, I was writing that opinion from the perspective of a viewer as well as asking for advice for newer gaming channel owners like myself.

Last edited:

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Okay, then I apologize.

The reality is I could ask the same question(s) about fishing channels on YouTube, but I don't because there just no need. Once you have everything up an running like you do--and you still have work to do as well as I have just as much work to do, then time and data are the only things that can answer these questions. That was, has been and always will be my whole point. Most people find that painful and swear I'm trying to bully them, and all I'm doing is stating facts.

If stating facts in the modern definition of bullying, then you're going to have a difficult time on YouTube. You say that you were asking in general about gaming channel in general, yet the word I shows up something like 27 times in your original post. When you refer to your channel to often how is one to know that you're talking in general?

The reality is everyone's niche is changing. Change is the one constant in this world. The state of ever single channel niche on YouTube is changing. Some for the best and some for the worse. The only thing I've seen that works is everything mentioned by Andrew and others and things that you've hear me comment on ad nauseum. Because that's the only real answer that has stood the test over the past 10+ years of YouTube.

Again, I apologize, but I have no intention of bullying anyone. I did look at your channel and watched a video from the first time you posted, and like my channel there's a lot of work to be done. You've made assumptions about me as well. Did you watch any of my vidoes? A swinging door moves both ways.

I say all that to encourage you to keep going, to never say die, to get out that 1,000 videos, and da** what anyone else thinks. Just keep clawing and scraping. Keep hammering. Keep producing. What I think doesn't matter. I don't pay your rent or pack your lunch. Neither does anyone else.

Maybe you will achieve whatever you've set out to achieve, maybe not. It doesn't matter. It's the journey. Never be satisfied with where you are. Content yes, satisfied, no.

Again: keep producing. Again: keep making videos. Five years of producing high quality high quantity of videos, and you see everything I'm mentioning, and you'll be the one here being accused of bullying.

OP
OP
mcnakahr

mcnakahr

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Thank you for the encouragement. If I may honestly say you sound like life/sports coach. I did see a video of yours, if what you mean by step up as in improve content quality as well as quantity then I partially agree with you. Yes, I can produce more and I'm working as hard as I can at it. As for the quality, I can't do what you do currently. I can't afford a 4k camera. The USB HD headset, a lightly dated pc, and a 5-year-old webcam are all I have right now to use for video production. As for the content that is the focal point of my channel, I can't afford the latest and greatest games at the moment. I'm trying to build a brand and can't focus on the top of the line. So yes I know I have a lot of work to do but I'm doing what I can with what I got. I do not appreciate you calling me a bully though at the end of your rather long explanation. I've seen that before, plenty of times. We are both adults and shouldn't use role reversal tactics like that, it's wrong. With that being said I am formally stating you are now on my ignore list.

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
When I restarted my channel, I didn't expect much. I expected as much as anyone starting out would, slow progress. That's what I got at first. The traffic I got was slow. I do proper SEO and I always take my time creating my thumbnails. A half a week into things something started happening, I was gaining subs. Now ordinarily this isn't bad but the way I was gaining them was. I only got maybe 4 subs from video watch pages. The rest of the growth seemed to be on my channel page. I gained 20 subs in the frame of three weeks. The traffic to the videos did not increase to match the subs. Interaction didn't grow either. I had to delete a few comments regarding requests to sub4sub even though I have it on my bio that I don't participate and will block if asked. I don't understand what's happening here. Was I only getting sub growth because people thought they could get a sub out of me? Is this the direction new Gaming channels on YouTube are headed? Say it isn't so. I'm trying to do things professionally, I do my best with each video. They are not just games being played on screen, I provide commentary. I hadn't played them yet but I had planned to make video walkthroughs of games I know well. I'm trying to be different and it seems that's hurting me. I can't get rid of the ghost subs, I'm aware of that. I have not changed my content or the format. Yet how do I proceed from here? (Before anyone complains, no I don't expect or think I can be successful overnight. In fact, I thought I was going to get 20 subs in the next couple months, not three weeks, which is why I'm suspecting the sub growth isn't from people who wanted to support me in the first place)
I'll add my own experience. People want to do what they think works. IF you don't know where to start, then you do what would make sense to work, even if it ends up hurting you or is against TOS. I've learned through my gaming channel, it takes MUCH longer to grow if doing some types of content (Let's plays) are what I did. That's completely searchable, but the success comes from liking YOU! The creator the only episode that is searchable is episode one really ,so you have to HOPE you sell them on that titular episode.

I'd say gaming has changed, but all of YouTube has, but that's why there are people like us here at TubeBuddy to help guide. You don't always have to agree, but different opinions and such can help broaden a horizon. I would say I don't see much more that can be said, passed what's said here.

ALways down for what others think. Let me know.

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Agreed Andrew. Just close the thread.

For the record, @mcnakahr, I did not call you a bully. I simply stated a fact, and you took what I said, manipulated it, changed it, put words in my mouth, and totally misrepresented what I said--which is not the first time you've done that here on this forum. That is completely wrong on your part, sir.

I said, "

Again: keep producing. Again: keep making videos. Five years of producing high quality high quantity of videos, and you see everything I'm mentioning, and you'll be the one here being accused of bullying."
Meaning that when you pay the price that all of us that are growing have paid and are paying, we have things to say that people don't want to hear in terms of growth on YouTube.

I'll quote @Andrew here as he put it better:

People want to do what they think works. IF you don't know where to start, then you do what would make sense to work, even if it ends up hurting you or is against TOS . . . You don't always have to agree, but different opinions and such can help broaden a horizon. I would say I don't see much more that can be said, passed what's said here.

Last edited: