YouTube Opinion “‘video Starts At” comments

Beanie Draws

unpopular opinion time.

So I’ve seen this a few times on twitter, people complaining about the “video starts at” tweet. Granted, it is very disrespectful to tell people to skip intros and sponsored spots, but I have to admit I’ve done this a few times myself. Why?

there are creators who really disrespect the audience’s time. I have No issue with sponsored videos, but you also have to remember to respect your audiences time, the sponsor may pay for the video, but without your audience, you would have no sponsor.

if it takes 5 minute to get to the point of the video, waffling on (like I used to do all the time in my old videos) and you promised something in the video’s title and thumbnail, if it’s obvious you’re disrespecting your audience’s time to drag out a video intentionally for the watch time, or your video has a 2-3 minute sponsored spot at the start before the content even begins, I feel you’re disrespecting your audience and they’re well within their right to complain about this in the form of a “video starts at” comment.

Once you hit plubish, yes, you control what others Say in your comments, it’s your community, but if you haven’t placed your filters, you’ve published a video for public exhibition, and thus, public opinion. Life isn’t all about praise, if something needs improving, you generally want to hear that honesty rather than being surrounded by “yes people” so in my personal opinion, I have no issues with “video starts at” if your video is taking way too long to get to the point and is intentionally being dragged out for watch time,

what are your thoughts on this controversial topic?

Tito Tim

TubeBuddy User
I did not know there was a controversy about this. I have seen the 'video starts at' comments, and generally appreciate it. Too often (Kevin Smith I am looking at you) people will go one for 6 or 8 minutes talking about some amazing underwear... Other creators just tend to ramble on their intro. Those I may or may not skip, depending on if I enjoy their rambling.

My entire channel is me just rambling ha ha

Ikerot

Not a mod
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
Hah, I've actually seen one of those complaints about the "video starts at" comments on twitter.

I personally don't mind it because as a viewer, I'd just want you to get to the point of your video. If you make a vlog video and you have a clickbait title, but you don't show it until maybe 10 minutes into the vlog, of course, I don't want to see the first 10 minutes. I just want to see the clickbait :joy:

As a creator, I haven't had anyone comment that on my videos, so I feel a bit happy on that, though I know I do tend to ramble on and not get to the point (or I get distracted and veer away from the topic). So I usually cut it down in edit, and in my newer videos, I'm trying to just... get to the topic faster xD

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Yeah. it comes down to a lack of understand how motion picture works. If you look at the history of television, they used to do the same thing. They used to say,

"Beverly Hillbillies brought to you by Kellogg Corn Flakes and a tag line, then another product and tag line, and another and another, yadda, yadda, yadda."

They'd just rat off a bunch of companies and waste the viewer's time.

But look at T.V. shows today. They just jump straight into the show. even the show's own ad/introduction comes after the main plot is established. Products are simply placed within the T.V. show as product placement.

Think of how movies advertise. James Bond doesn't stop the whole movie just to sell BMWs, lol. He just does all these super human thing with his BMW. The result is people go out and buy BMWs. The product becomes part of the story.

I had a fish scent and bait company I've been working with this past year. They sent me a bunch of stuff. About a week later the guy e-mailed me saying he didn't see any videos that I had promised in exchanged for the produces he had sent me. He obviously did watch the video.

Each video was a carefully crafted story that integrated the products he sent to me. Once he saw the videos he realized what I had done and how I had woven his product in to the story that the natural outcome would be people going to their Web site and buy the product. That's exactly what happened.

My audience doesn't tolerate blatant out and out selling. So many Saturday morning fishing/hunting T.V. show have pushed products that people don't watch them anymore. They watch youtube fishing videos instead. Yet these people buy fishing products all the time. They just don't like the shill approach.

YouTubers are going to have to learn to the history of motion picture because all these things have been done before.

A lot of education channels craft SkillShare into their lessons and such because there is a natural lead in. After they've taught whatever lesson, it's usually something like,

"Now algebra was super hard for me in high school, and wish there was something like skill share to help me, but I flunked and failed until aunt Jeana sat down and taught me how numbers worked. She was an accountant you know. I found a guy on SkillShare that teaches the same way auntee did . . . etc."

It directly relates to the subject at hand and is woven into the lesson.

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Yeah I started doing that too but kinda slipped my mind :p thanks for reminding me to add those timestamps into my description :)
Problem I do have with the timestamps though they do effect overall watch time. I learned that from someone at YouTube search. That's one of the double edge sword. You can help the user, but at the cost of your metrics.

OP
OP
Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

Problem I do have with the timestamps though they do effect overall watch time. I learned that from someone at YouTube search. That's one of the double edge sword. You can help the user, but at the cost of your metrics.
I wonder if it has different effects on different niches. Like, for certain videos, if you don’t get to a certain point in the video soon enough you could lose viewers, but if they know where the part they want to watch is at, they’re less likely to leave early, and skip ahead rather than close. More a curiosity.