Need Advice “ethics” with deleting some channel comments

Beanie Draws

So I’m going though some of my old comments, from 3-4 years ago... some of the comments are just “great” or “good video” or “cool” and I’m thinking “do I give them a reply explaining why it took 4 years to respond?”

...... ooooor.... do you just delete the comment, and hope they don’t notice considering they commented 3-4 years ago..
Do you consider such actions to be unethical? A lot of people (myself included until now) don’t even respond to old comments and those comments sit in cobwebs for years.

Wondering your opinions of this. Some delete comments that aren’t in English, I prefer to just translate them and respond, but if the response is just “hi” “hello” “cool” etc, I tend to think it’s just better to remove..

what are your thoughts? :)

Ikerot

Not a mod
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
I don't really see it as "unethical." It's your comment section. You choose what you want to see. Although, I do have a problem if you decide to censor a whole group or you end up deleting all negative feedbacks (even if they're being logical and polite). But again, if that's what you wanna do, you can do it lol.

On the other hand, I do have a problem of not deleting comments sometimes xP. I've been getting better at it and deleting comments that don't pertain to my video.

Tito Tim

TubeBuddy User
If it is a very old comment I would probably not reply... but I try to reply to most of the new comments. Old ones probably got ignored for a reason. Is there any reason you would delete them, though? If there is nothing wrong with the comment, but no reply needed, I just leave it.

As for ethical, it is your comment section, do what you want. Generally I only delete offensive/rude comments. Some channels enjoy the drama, I do not.

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
It's your comment section. End of the day you set the tone. If you allow negativity it's going to set the tone for what's ok in your community. I remove personal attacks on me personally, but allow fair criticism to stand. I also remove things that blatantly break TOS, or are inappropriate in any regard. Remember kids channels lost their comments due to failure of moderation.

OP
OP
Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

I don't really see it as "unethical." It's your comment section. You choose what you want to see. Although, I do have a problem if you decide to censor a whole group or you end up deleting all negative feedbacks (even if they're being logical and polite). But again, if that's what you wanna do, you can do it lol.

On the other hand, I do have a problem of not deleting comments sometimes xP. I've been getting better at it and deleting comments that don't pertain to my video.
I’ve deleted a couple the]at were 3-4 years old that simply translated to 1 word, nothing offensive, but I figured after 3 years they may have forgotten about me.

If it’s more than a few words I’ll still respond because they put the effort to comment, even if the comment is years old, and that applies to other languagea. I’m always curious what someone is saying in another language. If the translation makes no sense, I’ll let them know there may have been something lost in translation, or I simply don’t respond, or Simply respond with a “thank you” in their language.

It’s mostly single word replies that are many years old, but I might just leave those alone now, or wait til later.

my bad words filter is strong, so people have to be pretty crafty to even get through to my published comment section if it’s an insult, and those are easy to delete. Otherwise all negetive feedback is welcome as long as it’s super aggressive, and even then I tend to fight anger with calmness and love and they generally apologies for getting hot headed.