• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

TubeBuddy Suggestion Bulk / Easy Thumbnail Uploads

Danny C

I create my own thumbnails, and I would like an easy way to upload them and assign them to my videos.

I have video series' on YouTube, with 10 or more videos to a series - and these will have basically the same thumbnail (with only a different number) such as these:

Screenshot 2019-09-24 at 14.49.43.png

I often need to make a small change to all of the thumbnails in a series. And currently, I have to do the following:

- Click onto the video edit page
- Click Thumbnail
- Click Change
- Choose Thumbnail to upload

For every video in the series (10 to 15 videos).

It would be great if TubeBuddy offered an easy way to do this. I can think of 3 ways of implementing this:

Option 1 - Bulk Upload Thumbnail images and assign to videos
  1. User clicks on a new "Upload Thumbnails" option at the top of the videos page:
    Screenshot 2019-09-24 at 14.58.32.png

2. User can drag and drop any number of thumbnail images onto the page to upload them (or click an "Upload" button to browse their computer)
  3. The uploaded thumbnails appear on the page, with a dropdown / search box under each one
  4. User can use the dropdown / search boxes to assign each thumbnail to a video
Option 2 - Drag Thumbnail Straight onto the videos page
  1. User drags an image straight from their computer to the thumbnail area on the videos page:
    Screenshot 2019-09-24 at 15.04.40.png

2. Thumbnail is uploaded and replaces the original thumbnail
Option 3 - Add a "Replace Thumbnail" option to the little TubeBuddy menu next to each video on the Videos page
  1. User clicks on the little TubeBuddy menu next to a video:
    Screenshot 2019-09-24 at 15.09.29.png

2. User clicks on a new "Replace Thumbnail" option
  3. User can browse and choose a thumbnail image to replace the old one
I really hope this gets implemented, it would save a ton of time!

Huge thanks to the team for an AMAZING product!

Cheers,

Danny

Reactions: Beanie Draws

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I create my own thumbnails, and I would like an easy way to upload them and assign them to my videos.

I have video series' on YouTube, with 10 or more videos to a series - and these will have basically the same thumbnail (with only a different number) such as these:

View attachment 3520

I often need to make a small change to all of the thumbnails in a series. And currently, I have to do the following:

- Click onto the video edit page
- Click Thumbnail
- Click Change
- Choose Thumbnail to upload

For every video in the series (10 to 15 videos).

It would be great if TubeBuddy offered an easy way to do this. I can think of 3 ways of implementing this:

Option 1 - Bulk Upload Thumbnail images and assign to videos
  1. User clicks on a new "Upload Thumbnails" option at the top of the videos page:
    View attachment 3521

2. User can drag and drop any number of thumbnail images onto the page to upload them (or click an "Upload" button to browse their computer)
  3. The uploaded thumbnails appear on the page, with a dropdown / search box under each one
  4. User can use the dropdown / search boxes to assign each thumbnail to a video
Option 2 - Drag Thumbnail Straight onto the videos page
  1. User drags an image straight from their computer to the thumbnail area on the videos page:
    View attachment 3522

2. Thumbnail is uploaded and replaces the original thumbnail
Option 3 - Add a "Replace Thumbnail" option to the little TubeBuddy menu next to each video on the Videos page
  1. User clicks on the little TubeBuddy menu next to a video:
    View attachment 3523

2. User clicks on a new "Replace Thumbnail" option
  3. User can browse and choose a thumbnail image to replace the old one
I really hope this gets implemented, it would save a ton of time!

Huge thanks to the team for an AMAZING product!

Cheers,

Danny

We do allow you to save Thumbnail templates in our thumbnail in the pro or higher version, so my question would be, would it not just make sense to update the number there?

My other main problem is that it's hard to distinguish the thumbnails you are using currently, and it kind of goes against YT's own thumbnail recommendations, which is to make each video clearly unique and distinct with it's own thumbnail style.

I DO like the idea of bulk thumbnail replacing. I'll send this to the team, and await feedback from our community on the idea :D

OP
OP
Danny C

Danny C

Thanks for your reply Andrew! Glad you like the idea and cheers for sending it to the team!

It's actually very quick for me to produce a bunch of the same thumbnail (with different numbers / text on top) using Sketch. It's the getting them on YouTube part which is a bit painful.

I know what you mean about unique thumbnails, however it seems like all of the coding channels do the same thing for their tutorial series (one thumbnail for all videos in the series, with a different number and maybe slightly different text on each one) - even the biggest channels.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
however it seems like all of the coding channels do the same thing for their tutorial series (one thumbnail for all videos in the series, with a different number and maybe slightly different text on each one) - even the biggest channels.

It maybe done frequently, but it doesn't mean it's the best thing TO do! haha

That's just my opinion though, and I don't have the data on the thumbnails for it, so until then. Very fair point :)

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I know nothing about coding, so it sounds like it would be a tricky undertaking, but if tubebuddy programmers can figure out how to do it, IΓÇÖm sure they will. IΓÇÖd love to be able to do mass changes, or even just handfuls of thumbnail updates when IΓÇÖm going through an overhaul :)