Suggested Upload Default - add First comment.

Doug

TubeBuddy Pro
youtube.com
Hi folks!
Dropping a first comment yourself often kick starts the conversation and encourages commenting so...
I would love to see an addition to the upload defaults for "First Comment" where - at the risk of stating the absurdly obvious - the content creator could write a comment to post to the video at time of publish.

(note:I dunno how it would work by default - but Ideally the timestamp of that first comment would be the initial publish date/time ... not the upload date/time. As some of us stack up content a week or two out)

Thanks!
Doug

DragoNate

TubeBuddy Star
www.youtube.com
I don't know why I never thought of this, but I love the idea! It would make it easier to do this than to remember to go to your video at the time it goes live. I wish that YouTube would allow me to comment on my privated (scheduled) videos though, cuz it would make it easier, but for some reason, it doesn't work. Hopefully there'd be a way TubeBuddy could work around that limitation though.

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
I don't know why I never thought of this, but I love the idea! It would make it easier to do this than to remember to go to your video at the time it goes live. I wish that YouTube would allow me to comment on my privated (scheduled) videos though, cuz it would make it easier, but for some reason, it doesn't work. Hopefully there'd be a way TubeBuddy could work around that limitation though.
It does with the "Google+ and Twitter section here"

https://gyazo.com/bfe7bb98807bcd36b8d135e3baca7814

However, I do like this idea!

OP
OP
Doug

Doug

TubeBuddy Pro
youtube.com
That doesn't actually create a comment on the video though - it just shares the message on the other platforms.
Right?
Because I use that ALL the time and it's never created a comment on the video for me.

OP
OP
Doug

Doug

TubeBuddy Pro
youtube.com
It puts messages on twitter and g+ but it's never actually made a comment on the video for me.
(And I wouldn't expect it to as that's not called as one of the channels that message is using)

So - It puts a comment on the video's YouTube watch page for you??

If so...
1) It's NOT doing that for me - what do I have setup wrong/differently?
2) I'm not sure that social sharing messages SHOULD be the same thing as a watch page comment.
The text for a tweet (an announcement) is likely going to be different than a watch page comment.
--- Post updated ---
Yeah Andrew - that message you provided a screenshot for...
It's on your G+ and twitter ... but not the actual video comment section.
It's that LAST bit I'm suggested we need a tool for.

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
It puts messages on twitter and g+ but it's never actually made a comment on the video for me.
(And I wouldn't expect it to as that's not called as one of the channels that message is using)

So - It puts a comment on the video's YouTube watch page for you??

If so...
1) It's NOT doing that for me - what do I have setup wrong/differently?
2) I'm not sure that social sharing messages SHOULD be the same thing as a watch page comment.
The text for a tweet (an announcement) is likely going to be different than a watch page comment.
--- Post updated ---
Yeah Andrew - that message you provided a screenshot for...
It's on your G+ and twitter ... but not the actual video comment section.
It's that LAST bit I'm suggested we need a tool for.
Looking more into it, they stopped doing that when G+ and YouTube split.

EposVox

Newbie Member
eposvox.com
Yeah the G+ commenting stopped when they announced the split.
I would actually LOVE this.
Pro tip - many viewers, especially on mobile (where it doesn't even show it at first) skip over the video description. So if you copy the important bits from the description into the comments section and pin it to the top, there's never an excuse for dumb questions that you've already answered! And more clicks on links.

So this would be a pretty awesome time-saver if it could be done. Might be tricky since it has to wait until the video is done uploading and processing, and then go comment.

DragoNate

TubeBuddy Star
www.youtube.com
Pro tip - many viewers, especially on mobile (where it doesn't even show it at first) skip over the video description. So if you copy the important bits from the description into the comments section and pin it to the top, there's never an excuse for dumb questions that you've already answered! And more clicks on links.

So this would be a pretty awesome time-saver if it could be done. Might be tricky since it has to wait until the video is done uploading and processing, and then go comment.
You know, I never thought of basically adding the description in a comment... Would that be a good idea? What if your description is 1000+ characters? Should I just put the important bits and then my social media links?

EposVox

Newbie Member
eposvox.com
You know, I never thought of basically adding the description in a comment... Would that be a good idea? What if your description is 1000+ characters? Should I just put the important bits and then my social media links?
I personally wouldn't recommend doing social media links and such unless it's the subject of the video. Leave that for your channel page and description template. I just copy over the actual description paragraph and directly relevant links.

(The full template just ends up looking spammy in a comment)

DragoNate

TubeBuddy Star
www.youtube.com
I personally wouldn't recommend doing social media links and such unless it's the subject of the video. Leave that for your channel page and description template. I just copy over the actual description paragraph and directly relevant links.

(The full template just ends up looking spammy in a comment)
Yeah, I was worried about it looking spammy, lol
Okay, so directly relevant links and important info. Thanks!

Ninja614

TubeBuddy Star

Interesting. I like this idea. However, what I've found so far, I seem to get more engagement when I write a comment about the video that's humorous or invites a response... perhaps I'll do both by adding the video description with the relevant links and info but AFTER I do my initial comment for the video.

And I'll echo sentiment here: Having this feature for TubeBuddy would be amazeballs! Make it so!

Jay

TubeBuddy User
youtube.com

Also on top of this, having segments of your description can certainly help your SEO rank. Of course, the effect is minimal but it still helps to have more engagement (yourself) and some more descriptive words matching towards the targeted keywords...

DOUBLE WHAMMY!

OP
OP
Doug

Doug

TubeBuddy Pro
youtube.com
Interesting. I like this idea. However, what I've found so far, I seem to get more engagement when I write a comment about the video that's humorous or invites a response.../QUOTE]

^^^ Same here.
--- Post updated ---
And I'll echo sentiment here: Having this feature for TubeBuddy would be amazeballs! Make it so!
Dude... just had to say that I really dig your channel!
(I'm a biker too)

I just sub'd!
(on my non-youtuber account as the "DigDugPlays" one is pretty focused on gaming and has a younger audience)