• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

What camera do you use for your videos?

Kaos71

Ah, cool. The Davinci training on the blackmagic web site is quite good as well. Comes with the project stubs so you can work through with the training.
I will look at that too... I was using LinkedIn Learning back when it was Lynda.com.

I need to have a wide range of things available because I really have a hard time focusing on one thing and I have managed to forget how to use Dreamweaver over the last couple of years and need to re-learn that too, just to keep on top of my game. But I will check out the Blackmagic site too because you can't have enough resources.

My biggest fear with the camera itself is just coming over at this from the television production side of things and that it might take a couple of minutes (and I use that term tongue-in-cheek) to use that versus the cameras that I have been used to shooting on. Plus, always been self-taught when it comes to shooting and I know I have a ton of bad habits.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
I will look at that too... I was using LinkedIn Learning back when it was Lynda.com.

I need to have a wide range of things available because I really have a hard time focusing on one thing and I have managed to forget how to use Dreamweaver over the last couple of years and need to re-learn that too, just to keep on top of my game. But I will check out the Blackmagic site too because you can't have enough resources.

My biggest fear with the camera itself is just coming over at this from the television production side of things and that it might take a couple of minutes (and I use that term tongue-in-cheek) to use that versus the cameras that I have been used to shooting on. Plus, always been self-taught when it comes to shooting and I know I have a ton of bad habits.
You will be amazed with the camera. Without a cage it is really different feeling from a normal studio camera. With a cage it has a more studio/production feel.

Kaos71

You will be amazed with the camera. Without a cage it is really different feeling from a normal studio camera. With a cage it has a more studio/production feel.
And that is my hope with the cage and all of the other pieces that I will have on it. I am looking forward to getting out and using it but there is always that level concern about learning yet another new piece of equipment... I am not getting any younger (49 next month) and this old dog is having a hard time learning new tricks.

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I still use my rather outdated iPhone 6plus, but it still performs like itΓÇÖs fresh from the box, but I do need to upgrade some tech, especially my coal burning steam powered laptop :blush: :laughing:

Randomlifestylevlog

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
www.linktr.ee
Subscriber Goal
We are using a Samsung s10+ but for some reason, we have been having major issues with lighting. We have a great lighting setup with lamps and a or ring light but I think since the update the lighting keeps changing in our videos.So we are looking to upgrade. There are some great suggestions in here!

MyBlocksStrongestMan

Recognized Member
I use an older Nikon D3100 that apparently isn't made anymore. The main drawback of this camera is that it does not accept a microphone input so I've had to record my audio separately on Audacity and then blend the audio and video during editing. One improvement I've tried to make with this camera lately is to use a telephoto lense that i happen to have also purchased years ago. I recently read an article saying that using a focal length between 85mm and 115mm reduces the "camera adds 10 pounds" effect and makes us appear closer to how we actually are, so I've been fiddling with my tripod setup to get the camera far enough away from me to use a foal length in that range.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
I use an older Nikon D3100 that apparently isn't made anymore. The main drawback of this camera is that it does not accept a microphone input so I've had to record my audio separately on Audacity and then blend the audio and video during editing. One improvement I've tried to make with this camera lately is to use a telephoto lense that i happen to have also purchased years ago. I recently read an article saying that using a focal length between 85mm and 115mm reduces the "camera adds 10 pounds" effect and makes us appear closer to how we actually are, so I've been fiddling with my tripod setup to get the camera far enough away from me to use a foal length in that range.
An old trick if it's useful to you.

Part of the reason for the old "slate" in movies and video was so that you could sync the sound of the clapper with the video of the clapper.

The modern-day fast trick is to clap your hands in front of you and then sync the clap sound with the clap visual. That usually gets you within a frame or two of where you need to be.

itstom

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I am using Samsung Galaxy s8 with ivcam app.
It's not ideal and if you can go for newer phone definitely go for it :)
But it does the job and I wouldn't go ahead and spend money on buying new gear.

MyBlocksStrongestMan

Recognized Member
I'm working with a GH4 now. Hate it!

I do run an Atomos Ninja 2 to record in ProReZ HQ for better color grading via 10-bit, 4:2:2 color depth and subsampling. I use old Canon FD lenses because I want the old school look.

If I had a bunch of cash, I'd probably buy a Panasonic EVA-1 and an S1H as an A/B camera setup. Probably going to buy the V-log L upgrade for my GH4 to get closer to the Varicams colors since I already use the Varicam's LUTs for grading.

I'm generally pleased with the footage, but it's mostly because of bypassing most everything in the GH4. Audio I use a preamp. Colors I shoot flat and grade in post. Basically have it rigged like a cinema camera, but I don't get the cinematic images, lol!
OK, so I've now found who to ask when I have anything beyond a basic camera question. You are super knowledgeable!

Reactions: Damon

MyBlocksStrongestMan

Recognized Member
I use an older Nikkon D3100 simply because that's what I already owned when I started my channel. I don't recommend it though, as it doesn't have an audio input so I need to record audio to my laptop while recording video with the camera.

Relentluss Gaming

I use a GoPro Hero 8 Black for hiking or cemetery tours, if I want to put the camera down I have the DJI Osmo Mobile 3 and I use my Iphone XR so it follows me I if want to walk back and forth and talk.