Need Advice is 4K video necessary new channels

Calif Coder

New User
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Hi
I am trying to make the education content i.e. how to crack the coding interviews at the top it companies

I got a question regarding the Video Quality

is 4k is good >
Does it gets more views and subscribers
Does the viewers really care the video quality
Does 4k makes good impact on channel and can drive new subscriber

please free add your comment, views, suggestions, do's and dont's

McNaquar

New User
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
If the device the viewer is using isn't designed for 4k, then no... because it looks just the same as 1080p on non 4k devices. On 4k devices you do get more detail with 4k videos but if it's a vlog people can see more details in your face then you may want. If you are able to do 4k I'd give it a shot.

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
If you have work lined up and the client asks for 4k, then yes, but if not, it's up to you.

Still even if you don't deliver in 4k, it's good to capture 4k then downsample to 1080p. That's what I do. Whatever the final delivery, you want it to be the best possible quality.

I think of 4k and above as acquisition resolution only. They do this in cinema all the time. I'd much rather have a 4k resolution downsample to 1080p than gave a 1080p resolution blown up to 4k.

If I was delivering in 4k, I'd want to capture in 5k, 6k or 8k. These modern cameras they give you all this awesome resolution then chops out half the color data like 8-bit, 4:2:0 footage.

The basic principle is capture at a higher quality than your final distribution. Not everyone's workflow can accommodate that, but do what you can.

Last edited:

Beanie Draws

Hi
I am trying to make the education content i.e. how to crack the coding interviews at the top it companies

I got a question regarding the Video Quality

is 4k is good >
Does it gets more views and subscribers
Does the viewers really care the video quality
Does 4k makes good impact on channel and can drive new subscriber

please free add your comment, views, suggestions, do's and dont's
I upload to 4k when I can (generally with my art timelapses as they export in 4k) but it isn’t a necessity. Pewdiepie still uploads in 720p a lot of the time.

I would say to be taken more seriously from a production standpoint i’d Aim for at least 1080p. If you CAN upload in 4k, i’d Recommend it to future proof yourself, but it’s only bells and whistles. I watch 1080p content all the time on my 64inch 4k tv and it looks perfectly fine. If you advertise your videos as 4k and you do landscape videos, then 4k is necessity, but right now it’s just a bonus if you have the bandwidth to afford it.

Also, it’s up to the viewers internet connection. I live in Australia so I watch everything in 1080p at home even if the video is available in 4k.

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
4K is nice, but compelling story is more important. 4K in the scheme of YouTube gets a tiny boost, so it's better than not having it, but I wouldn't focus on it.