YouTube Help How can I tell if I've been shadowbanned?

Sami Moa

New User
- I have a feeling I’ve been shadow banned because my old videos used to get anywhere between 2k-12k average views.

- Stopped posting as much January - August of 2018, however

- I've been consistent for the past 10 months 3-5 videos a week including lives however the views have lowered down to only a few hundred.

- Still show up on first page for certain keywords (Foreplay for example)

- Percentage viewed is between 40-50% typically.

Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong?

Feedback much appreciated ! :)

youtube.com/ministryofattraction

McNaquar

New User
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
You are not shadow-banned. That really only refers to comments made that a content create chooses to hide from public view. The fact your watch duration has gone down has to do with the content and you as a creator. Watch a current video of your yourself and a past one, before you stopped uploading as much, then ask yourself this: Have I changed the way I present my content? Am I doing things that are now more saturated then they were before? Was how I created my videos better before the break? Also it would help if we knew what your channel was about. Btw, if one of your keywords is "foreplay" then that may be your issue. YouTube is working towards changing somethings and I'm thinking one of those things is separating Adult content from say Teen content to prevent any backlash from parents of children and/or advertisers.

Edit: Looking at your channel I can see it's a relationship help type. That may be the issue, maybe some of your topics with low watch time has unintentionally repeated information that is making a viewer click away because you end up teaching them something they know... again look at your content quality from now verses when it was doing well as well as the keywords you are using. That may be the key.. well part of it. I'm sure someone else here has more knowledge and can help better.

OP
OP
S

Sami Moa

New User
You are not shadow-banned. That really only refers to comments made that a content create chooses to hide from public view. The fact your watch duration has gone down has to do with the content and you as a creator. Watch a current video of your yourself and a past one, before you stopped uploading as much, then ask yourself this: Have I changed the way I present my content? Am I doing things that are now more saturated then they were before? Was how I created my videos better before the break? Also it would help if we knew what your channel was about. Btw, if one of your keywords is "foreplay" then that may be your issue. YouTube is working towards changing somethings and I'm thinking one of those things is separating Adult content from say Teen content to prevent any backlash from parents of children and/or advertisers.

Edit: Looking at your channel I can see it's a relationship help type. That may be the issue, maybe some of your topics with low watch time has unintentionally repeated information that is making a viewer click away because you end up teaching them something they know... again look at your content quality from now verses when it was doing well as well as the keywords you are using. That may be the key.. well part of it. I'm sure someone else here has more knowledge and can help better.

Thank you! Yea the channel is dating advice for men, and other creators in this space (not all but a good handfull) have noticed similar trends.

I've done the sit down analysis about the content from before and now and I can't put my finger on it

McNaquar

New User
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Well, what I would do in that situation is try to figure out what is in common with the other creators in that niche with your channel's content. Are you possibly repeating the same information? Same strategies? Try to think outside of the box and come up with something new, or a new approach to a common thing, that the other channels may not have covered or may have covered but not in the same way you are doing so. Good Luck, I know how frustrating it is to be in a niche that is either difficult to stand out in or hard to convince people you are not another clone channel.