Need Advice Need help debunking some concepts...

McNaquar

New User
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Okay before I begin I want to make some things clear, I realize that views and subs don't matter and I should focus on quality content first and foremost. I also am not doing this for fame or for money. Those two things are nice but I am not shooting towards them. With that out of the way, I need clarification a few possible false concepts I've been told about the platform for years. Currently I am producing videos with barely any views, no like/dislike interaction, and also no comments. Now I understand that all that will come in time as I work to improve myself as a creator. My question stems from the concept I was told regarding interaction and how it can positively or negatively influence how a video performs on YouTube as a whole. The concept I'm questioning is that if I get interaction with (like/dislike) and comments on the video then it will increase its exposure, and if a video gets no interaction beyond viewing for any length then the video doesn't perform well or at all. This is of course ignoring the obvious fact that watch duration does influence this too. So is it true that if a video just gets watched but has no comments of any likes/dislikes regardless of the watch duration, is it considered "dead in the water" in a way?
The next question I have regarding another potentially false concept is, if despite all efforts to properly self promote (which means no spamming links) is a video considered not eligible for proper suggestion/recommendation (beyond correct SEO usage) making it nearly impossible for anyone to watch it via YouTube without being told about the video by the creator or word of mouth? I'm asking about this because if these two concepts which I asked about are true, no new channels will get anywhere.. even in decades of hard work... are those concepts true or false?

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
False. Everyone starts from zero.

1. Spend three to five years cranking out three to five pieces of searchable, clickable content per week.
2. Start with content that has not so much competition. It will probably take you a couple years to learn to find those keywords consistently.
3. If no new channels will get anywhere, then why are so many new channel getting somewhere?

To answer your question directly you have to produce content worth commenting on. You have to produce content worth viewing in the first place. It comes down to two thing. Either the content is not worth watching or commenting on or the body of work is too sparse or small for people to invest any time with you.

People don't seem to understand the shear volume of work necessary to get a YouTube channel going. Your channel doesn't have enough volume of content to be worth anything. Even @Andrew's gaming channel is new, and he's amassed like 3.5k subs or something.

People won't watch you simply because you only have 9 videos on your channel. You have to build a body of work. Get to 90 videos and you will see something more than what you see now. In other words your sample size is non-existent, let alone too small. 900 videos would get you a totally body of work that will get you somewhere. Are you committed for that long of a haul?

When you produce a body of work, the marketplace will let you know if what you're doing is viable.

While I have my opinions about gaming channels in general--not be harsh but i can't think of a more competitive and non-worthwhile kind of video to make--just how committed are you to the craft of making videos? Are you willing to crank out 500 videos just to find your voice? I took me 650 videos to find my voice. Most people won't make it past their first 65 videos before tapping out.

Also point #2 Looking at your latest video, you have someone comment on your video six days ago, yet you have not replied to them at all. I don't even see a thumb up. The heart is there, but that isn't enough: it isn't enough. Someone reached out to you to comment, and you failed to start and engage in a conversation with them. That also communicates something: that you're not committed to your audience.

If you have fewer than 10k subs, you should be replying to every single comment. I mean actually hit the reply button and start a conversation with that person. If not then you're telling them that you're not committed to your audience. That you don't really care what they think.

So let's add up:
  • nine videos over the past three months
  • not replying to every comment
  • extremely competitive market with no voice of your own
If YouTube were a class in school, what grade do you think you should make? Wait punch in your channel over on social blade and they will give you a grade unless there isn't enough data for them to give you one . . .

OP
OP
McNaquar

McNaquar

New User
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Okay I don't think i need this topic open also some of that stung, basically telling me no one is commenting because I'm doing a poor job. I'm out.

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
That isn't what I said. Someone did comment, and you didn't reply. Treat 1 comment as if it were 100. Treat that one comment as pure gold. That alone will attract more comments.

What I think doesn't matter. It's only matters what your audience thinks, and whatever morale values you have leading your quest.

Of course it stings, most people can't handle the truth of what it takes to build a YouTube channel. Because when the truth hits they quit as evidenced by your last sentence. I think every one of my videos suck, but my goal is to make each video better than the previous. Yet 691 videos later, each video does get better that the previous. It's just a matter of how much are you willing to claw and scrape to get it done. Sadly most people aren't interested in that, and I'm not interested in coddling people.

OP
OP
McNaquar

McNaquar

New User
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I am fully aware of what it takes, I'm not getting into why the about section of my channel is incorrect but I've been trying this for 3 years. I think the last part of what you said is what is causing a lot of trouble for not just me but any new channels that actually are trying hard... only a large portion of people think that success doesn't take hard-work and think just because they were born the world owes them something. So people like me get treated as such because of a blanket generalization. I'm a gaming channel owner and a majority of my peers, Andrew and GraveStarTG seems to be exceptions, like sub4sub non sense and think over night success is for them with no effort. I was asking for myths that I had a suspicion were myths to be debunked, which you did but also seemed to want to be treat me just like all the other channel owners who think just because they have equipment means they can make big bucks with the platform without actually trying. Thank you for your blunt advice, I did appreciate it though it seemed you thought I was another "I'll get rich over night" wonder boy and I'm not. I do think my videos suck and I do try what you do, to make the next one better then my last... I'm aware this will be a long, hard journey for me. I just wanted my questions answered so I could figure out what was going on.. that's the whole reason I joined.. well half the reason... 50% of it is to help others where I can and the other 50% is to improve myself. Find out what's not working and either adapt or drop something. I'm not like "most" people.

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I see what you're saying: Despite the advice/help, I overgeneralized as to the reasons why you asked. I stand corrected and apologize.

The best book I've read that pushed my videos up a couple of notches was How to Shoot Video That Doesn't Suck by Steve Stockman. In the book he mentions, and I paraphrase that if you learn the principles, language of motion picture and master how to communicate with it, you will build an audience over the long haul. Put another way if you learn how to make videos that will capture and hold people's attention, you will build an audience over time.

OP
OP
McNaquar

McNaquar

New User
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I forgive you, and I'll take a look at that as well as work harder I think you hit the nail on the head as to my problems. Thank again.