YouTube Help Name change

Senior Notions

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy User
So we've decided to change our YouTube channel name to one more in line with our content.

We want to change our channel name and also change the Gmail address linked to the account. Is this possible?

Checking in here first so we don't screw it up o_O

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

McNaquar

New User
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Well that's good to see your changing your name to something that will identify your channel better with your content. Changing the name part is easy, the email thing you mentioned is possible with a workaround.
1. Click on your Avatar in the top left.
2. Click Settings
3. Next to the Avatar picture in the middle of the screen should be a link your channel name followed by another link called "edit on google"
4. Click "edit on google" and a new tab will open with a dialog box which will allow you to change your name.
5. Change the name field and click OK.
Note: This may take up to 24 hours to take effect everywhere; it's a slow process the first place you will see the name change at is the Google Account you just went to.

Next is the email, while you can't really change the email account you used to set up your channel/brand account (You can move your brand account, I forgot how though. I'm not sure if you can tranfer a channel over to another gmail account. As a workaround, you can specify a separate email address to use for business contact.
1. Go back to https://studio.youtube.com
2. Click other features on the left hand pane.
3. Click on Customize Channel.
4. After the new tab with your channel is customization mode loads, click on About.
5. Move your cursor over the words "For business inquires:"
6. Click the pencil icon to the far right that appears when you hover over the text from step 5.
7. Type the email address you wish to use. (You can use any type, I like to use another gmail account although that can be tricky to setup a way to switch between accounts.)
8 After filling out the field in step 7 click Done.

There you have it, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Things to consider: While you are able to change your name a finite number of times, it is best to switch to a name that properly identifies your channel and brand then stick with it. Changing too often can confuse your audience and jeopardize your credibility.

OP
OP
Senior Notions

Senior Notions

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy User
Well that's good to see your changing your name to something that will identify your channel better with your content. Changing the name part is easy, the email thing you mentioned is possible with a workaround.
2. Click Settings
3. Next to the Avatar picture in the middle of the screen should be a link your channel name followed by another link called "edit on google"
4. Click "edit on google" and a new tab will open with a dialog box which will allow you to change your name.
Note: This may take up to 24 hours to take effect everywhere; it's a slow process the first place you will see the name change at is the Google Account you just went to.

Next is the email, while you can't really change the email account you used to set up your channel/brand account (You can move your brand account, I forgot how though. I'm not sure if you can tranfer a channel over to another gmail account. As a workaround, you can specify a separate email address to use for business contact.
4. After the new tab with your channel is customization mode loads, click on About.
6. Click the pencil icon to the far right that appears when you hover over the text from step 5.
7. Type the email address you wish to use. (You can use any type, I like to use another gmail account although that can be tricky to setup a way to switch between accounts.)

Things to consider: While you are able to change your name a finite number of times, it is best to switch to a name that properly identifies your channel and brand then stick with it. Changing too often can confuse your audience and jeopardize your credibility.

Thanks for the step-by-step reply! I appreciate the time you took to do that.:)

The business email sounds like a good option. But I worry like you said about switching accounts. There is also something called creating a "delegate"? Are you familiar with that?

There is a link that says create a Brand in the gmail account, but I haven't clicked on it. I'll have to read up on what that is and how it works.

I guess we could also just create a new channel? We only have about 1,100 or so views.

I may be over complicating this o_O

Thanks again for your thoughtful reply. :)

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
2. Click Settings

Great guide :)

OP
OP
Senior Notions

Senior Notions

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy User
Just curious, why do you wanna change the email?
Good question! :grinning: You are right though and got me thinking, we can add the business address advised by McNaquar and then forward the old address to the new one.I think I was overthinking this process. o_O Thanks for your input, Brave :)

OP
OP
Senior Notions

Senior Notions

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy User
Yes, thank you Andrew. You read my mind :) Can you change our user name to Senior Notions. That would be great :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Senior Notions

Senior Notions

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy User
Also, our current videos contain the old channel branding in the intro, outro and thumbnails.

Do we leave the old videos as is and just let them get pushed further down as we add new videos, or is there a best practices for this type of scenario?

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

OP
OP
Senior Notions

Senior Notions

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy User
The last thing to do is add our channel banner to our Tube Buddy forum signature and cannot seem to get it to work.

We've tried three different browsers and cannot insert the image from URL from the Promo page or from a link from our website. Is there a trick to this I'm not remembering?