• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Gear Advice What's the best gear advice you've ever got?

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
For me it was to marry the lenses and date the camera. Meaning that you should invest in your lenses and rent the cameras, because the lenses will last longer than the camera!

What about you? What has been your best gear advice?

• Love
Reactions: Damon

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
My old school Canon FD lenses. 24mm, 50mm, 50mm macro, 135 mm, 300mm. That's a good set. They can be adapted to any mirrorless cameras. Vintage glass works. I just don't like the uber sharpness of modern lenses. I'd like to get the 17mm Fd next, but the wide lenses of that era are more expensive.

My second favorite piece of gear is the Ninja2 recorder. Finally getting into ProRez and 10-bit, 4:2:2 has changed everything for me. That the main reason I want a pair Blackmagic P4k cameras. Get all that internal to the camera.

• Wow
Reactions: AllisHarp

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
To focus more on lighting than the camera itself. You can only do so much with poor light, but you can do a lot even on cheap phones with plenty of lights,

OP
OP
TubeBuddy

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
To focus more on lighting than the camera itself. You can only do so much with poor light, but you can do a lot even on cheap phones with plenty of lights,

So many creators buy expensive cameras when their lighting is the problem. It's important to realistically look at what's holding you back. For me it's lack of space to film haha!

Reactions: Beanie Draws

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
... I should buy myself another light XD I've been having it in the back of my mind, but I keep pushing it off because I think that I'll need it later. Then I record a video and complain about my lighting.

Reactions: Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
... I should buy myself another light XD I've been having it in the back of my mind, but I keep pushing it off because I think that I'll need it later. Then I record a video and complain about my lighting.
One of the really amazing talks at vidcon Australia was all about lighting. So many great things you can do with lighting and foam core card :)

• Love
Reactions: Ikerot

RonZena

TubeBuddy User
I recently graduated from college with a degree in Digital Media Production. During my time in school, the gear piece of advice that stuck with me was "good audio makes the video" which I learned to be very true. Regardless of the setting or visuals its the audio that needs to be crisp in order for viewers to stay engaged. Additionally, sometimes less is more. Over the past few months, I have ran into peers who are starting their professional careers in different avenues of broadcasting and some have splurged thousands of dollars on cameras, lenses, mics., green screens etc. but aren't using any of it. Starting out, all the latest gear may be appealing but honestly it's not a necessity. Sometimes its a matter of a few quality pieces rather than quantity of pieces.