Video Review In need of some good sound advice and feedback

Junior and Patricia

Newbie Member
Member of the Month
Subscriber Goal
The most important part of your video is the title and thumbnail. Neither of these are appealing. Why you didn't have the image of the mountain at sunrise as your thumbnail baffles me because that image is stunning. And your title doesn't SAY anything. It doesn't compel me to click on the video. A compelling title could be something like: amazing hike in the Philippine at sunrise, or stunning sunrise over Philippine mountains, or 2am hike to catch sunrise at the peak|| HIKE UP ____ MOUNTAIN, Philippines.

The blank in the previous title brings me to my next point: your video doesn't give any sort of value or insight. Where are you? How can others get this amazing view? People search for "amazing hikes in Philippines" and want to know about these amazing hikes, so align your title and tags to fit that.

Last point is on the content itself. Now the footage and music from about 3 minutes in is amazing. it was nearly worth the lead up. Everything afterwards was not worth it. I would massively shorten the footage of going up the mountain, get to the point of all the beautiful footage, have more of that, then have some information about how to get there and recommendations about what you would do when you're there. Think about the audience when you're editing. What value does a stranger get from your videos? All the footage after the peak just seemed like a home holiday video - "here's some meandering video of us on holiday". Nobody on YouTube wants to see that. Keep that sort of footage for yourself and for your memories. If there's something interesting or worth sharing then package that better and get that online.

Anyway my critique maybe sounds harsh but I actually enjoyed the first 3 minutes of your video. And the footage from the top was incredible. Almost incredible enough to start again and re-upload in a different format (which would be my recommendation)

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
To The Top We Go | HIKING MOUNTAIN IN THE DARK |PHILIPPINES

Is the title the searchable part is where you are hiking. If you want to get people in focus on WHERE you are. People are more likely to search for what mountain you are going to. The compelling element would be absent as @Science with Steph pointed out. I'd maybe focus it more on Hiking Ausmania peak - Hiking in the dark!? That way it focuses on the search and the compelling element.

I think what Steph said is interesting, and I'd check your audience retention on how this performed. I enjoyed the video, but keep in mind YouTube is a search engine so you want to find users in the search :D

OP
OP
Junior and Patricia

Junior and Patricia

Newbie Member
Member of the Month
Subscriber Goal
The most important part of your video is the title and thumbnail. Neither of these are appealing. Why you didn't have the image of the mountain at sunrise as your thumbnail baffles me because that image is stunning. And your title doesn't SAY anything. It doesn't compel me to click on the video. A compelling title could be something like: amazing hike in the Philippine at sunrise, or stunning sunrise over Philippine mountains, or 2am hike to catch sunrise at the peak|| HIKE UP ____ MOUNTAIN, Philippines.

The blank in the previous title brings me to my next point: your video doesn't give any sort of value or insight. Where are you? How can others get this amazing view? People search for "amazing hikes in Philippines" and want to know about these amazing hikes, so align your title and tags to fit that.

Last point is on the content itself. Now the footage and music from about 3 minutes in is amazing. it was nearly worth the lead up. Everything afterwards was not worth it. I would massively shorten the footage of going up the mountain, get to the point of all the beautiful footage, have more of that, then have some information about how to get there and recommendations about what you would do when you're there. Think about the audience when you're editing. What value does a stranger get from your videos? All the footage after the peak just seemed like a home holiday video - "here's some meandering video of us on holiday". Nobody on YouTube wants to see that. Keep that sort of footage for yourself and for your memories. If there's something interesting or worth sharing then package that better and get that online.

Anyway my critique maybe sounds harsh but I actually enjoyed the first 3 minutes of your video. And the footage from the top was incredible. Almost incredible enough to start again and re-upload in a different format (which would be my recommendation)

First of all Thank you for being brutal and honest. Critique is a crappy feeling to digest but it definitely will help me out. I read all your points and have to say they are spot on and got me thinking about improvement. Definitely will change the thumbnail and title. I just never made thumbnails before but its time to learn now. I am working on engaging the audience more it just seems like some people want more engagement others just want you to shutup and show the environment your in to tell the story. I tried to give both by vlogging the whole experience but like you said it could be cut down or be engaged with the audience more to keep them watching. Thank you for watching the video and giving me feedback which I am taking into consideration as I type.

To The Top We Go | HIKING MOUNTAIN IN THE DARK |PHILIPPINES

Is the title the searchable part is where you are hiking. If you want to get people in focus on WHERE you are. People are more likely to search for what mountain you are going to. The compelling element would be absent as @Science with Steph pointed out. I'd maybe focus it more on Hiking Ausmania peak - Hiking in the dark!? That way it focuses on the search and the compelling element.

I think what Steph said is interesting, and I'd check your audience retention on how this performed. I enjoyed the video, but keep in mind YouTube is a search engine so you want to find users in the search :D
Thanks for the feedback and thanks for watching our video. Yeah I'm changing the title today definitely it could have been a vlot better to be eye-catching and bring more viewers from a search engine. Also I wanted to ask you, do you feel like the video was long and drawn out? What didn't keep your attention all the way through?

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Sounds like you are on your way. you have some excellent advice here. It's looks like you have a travel and lifestyle channel. Get on Travel Channel's Web site and watch every stinking show they have. Don't watch for entertainment purposes, watch for education and training. Watch analytically. This is how you really get better at making your show.

Mindset: You are no longer making videos, you are now a T.V. show producer. Go straight to the source.
Assignment: Compare & Contrast
Taken from "Documentary Storytelling" by Sheila Curran Bernard.

Another exercise that's useful is a "compare and contrast" between two or more films on the same general subject . . . seeing how these films are constructed . . . Does one version talk at you and the other engage you, and if so, why? Does one leave the audience with parts of the puzzle to solve? . . . In thinking about the answers, consider also the experience of the filmmakers, the purpose for which the film was made, and the audience the film eventually reached.
All these can be applied to YouTube travel vlogs. Yes, in other words sit down and watch the pros, analyze what they're doing, try to figure out why they're doing it, then try to understand if it was it effective or not. From there you begin the process of deciding what you want to include or exclude from your show. Then the process of learning the techniques to include them into your content.

Who ever thought watching T.V. could be made into homework?

Seriously if you get the thumbnail and titles tags right, then incorporate the stuff you see the pros doing, you will build a audience over time. This is a process that never stops.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback and thanks for watching our video. Yeah I'm changing the title today definitely it could have been a vlot better to be eye-catching and bring more viewers from a search engine. Also I wanted to ask you, do you feel like the video was long and drawn out? What didn't keep your attention all the way through?
I don't think the first part of the video was too long and drawn out. The build up and the hike was all pretty okay. It was after the footage from the top that felt like it changed tone and meandered in feel and in the narrative. I would have either marketed the video differently - eg vlog, holiday vlog etc, OR cut the video down and made it about just the hike and the view. My personal preference would be the second option but I am not the biggest fan of long-form vlog type videos.

worldadventures

New User
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I am only new to YouTube and Tubebuddy so just wanted to give a little feedback. I picked this type of vlog to do my first feedback on because it is similar to our niche. Firstly thank you. I get to learn from your feedback you are receiving first. Loved the concept and your footage. I did notice a lot of wind was in the footage which is natural on a mountain but I am also having the same issue.

Your cinematic style shots were very good and I like your style. The footage at the top of the mountain was my favourite.

OP
OP
Junior and Patricia

Junior and Patricia

Newbie Member
Member of the Month
Subscriber Goal
I am only new to YouTube and Tubebuddy so just wanted to give a little feedback. I picked this type of vlog to do my first feedback on because it is similar to our niche. Firstly thank you. I get to learn from your feedback you are receiving first. Loved the concept and your footage. I did notice a lot of wind was in the footage which is natural on a mountain but I am also having the same issue.

Your cinematic style shots were very good and I like your style. The footage at the top of the mountain was my favourite.
Awesome I'm always interested in meeting people especially if we have the same common niche. Thank you for watching the video first and foremost. Yeah I tried to EQ the wind noise out but couldn't but the reason why the wind noise was so strong was because I didn't have a cat on my microphone so it picked up everything. So I would recommend having one as I learned. One came with my RodeMic I think its on Amazon for about 30.00. If you have any other questions feel free to contact me and hopefully I can do the same with you. Going to give your channel a look today. Much to your success and journey. Hopefully we can help each other with tips and feedback on our channels

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Awesome I'm always interested in meeting people especially if we have the same common niche. Thank you for watching the video first and foremost. Yeah I tried to EQ the wind noise out but couldn't but the reason why the wind noise was so strong was because I didn't have a cat on my microphone so it picked up everything. So I would recommend having one as I learned. One came with my RodeMic I think its on Amazon for about 30.00. If you have any other questions feel free to contact me and hopefully I can do the same with you. Going to give your channel a look today. Much to your success and journey. Hopefully we can help each other with tips and feedback on our channels
Keep sharing that feedback here too! It can really help others! :D