• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Audio Gear What microphone do you use?

EV Nick

TubeBuddy Pro
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
DEPENDS!
I got a R├│de Micro Pro for my camera and reference audio
but 95% of the time i use a wireless saramonic lapel mic to a zoom h6.
I also sometimes use Comica cvm-v02o lapel if am interviewing and need to mic someone else up.

I've also played with using the mic that comes with the h6 for voiceovers and thats LOVELY and crisp

• Love
Reactions: Damon and TubeBuddy
OP
OP
TubeBuddy

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
DEPENDS!
I got a R├│de Micro Pro for my camera and reference audio
but 95% of the time i use a wireless saramonic lapel mic to a zoom h6.
I also sometimes use Comica cvm-v02o lapel if am interviewing and need to mic someone else up.

I've also played with using the mic that comes with the h6 for voiceovers and thats LOVELY and crisp

I use my on camera for ABSOLUTE redundancy, but I have switched out my rode for the new diety. The thing I love is active standby mode. That has saved my butt so many times already.

• Love
Reactions: Damon

EV Nick

TubeBuddy Pro
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
active standby mode? The Rode Mic is connected to the arm on my DJI camera which has the WORST inbuilt mic so rode gives good reference and also amazing backup plus its light and uses camera's power. I prefer to use the lapel mic system with the zoom as i get super crisp audio files i can mess around with in post. I did a Q&A with 8 other youtubers on my channel all with mics and thanks to audio files on zoom i almost eliminated ALL the background noise in the exhibition halls.

However I've had silly times i forgot to hit record on zoom or the battery pack failed and then the in built mic is a LIFE saver it happens rare but it does happen

Just Lennart

TubeBuddy User
Just recently bought a R├╕de Smartlav. And I just find it so awesome. Before this I had some cheap lav, dont even know the name, but the price was under 1$.
I can only recommend getting proper sound recording gear. :D

• Love
Reactions: Damon

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
I'm about to press my TASCAM DR-40 into service. It's an audio recorder like the Zoom H6 or H4n. I hardly but now that I'm on the Z-cam E2C, and I have an XLR Audio Technica 875R shotgun mic, this will be my new audio system.

OP
OP
TubeBuddy

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I'm about to press my TASCAM DR-40 into service. It's an audio recorder like the Zoom H6 or H4n. I hardly but now that I'm on the Z-cam E2C, and I have an XLR Audio Technica 875R shotgun mic, this will be my new audio system.

I miss camera's with built in GOOD preamps. I like panasonic's add on, but not the price XD.

Is anyone using the Rode Wireless Go? Been thinking about getting a set.

I've seen and used them on one production, was REALLY surprised with the sound quality inside, out doors was a bit of a mess.

Reactions: Ikerot and Damon

GearVlogz

TubeBuddy Pro
www.gearvlogz.com
Subscriber Goal
I miss camera's with built in GOOD preamps. I like panasonic's add on, but not the price XD.

I've seen and used them on one production, was REALLY surprised with the sound quality inside, out doors was a bit of a mess.
So maybe for outdoor uses the Lavier plugin option for it then?

Lil Piffy

TubeBuddy User
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
im using a blue snowball and i hate it i find i have to talk really loud for it to pick me up but it is a very good quality mic but i want an upgrade would you recommend anything?

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
im using a blue snowball and i hate it i find i have to talk really loud for it to pick me up but it is a very good quality mic but i want an upgrade would you recommend anything?
That's odd. It should pick up your voice easily.

Did you check the gain on the mic? Do you do anything with the audio after you record?

I think the Snowball is a great mic for the price, but if you're looking to upgrade, you should check out the Rode NT-USB.

Lil Piffy

TubeBuddy User
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
That's odd. It should pick up your voice easily.

Did you check the gain on the mic? Do you do anything with the audio after you record?

I think the Snowball is a great mic for the price, but if you're looking to upgrade, you should check out the Rode NT-USB.
no i didnt check the gain see i record in open broadcast studio obs so i can record face cam my game and the audio from the mic

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
no i didnt check the gain see i record in open broadcast studio obs so i can record face cam my game and the audio from the mic
Do you put the audio through audacity or audition?

You should check your mic's gain on your computer, cause it might've been set down at a low volume.

OP
OP
TubeBuddy

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Do you put the audio through audacity or audition?

You should check your mic's gain on your computer, cause it might've been set down at a low volume.

Correct! Then it's SUPER important to edit that audio because it records in a flat profile, so you can bring out your voice in post.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
El Jefe Reviews was chatting the other day with Dee Nimmin and mentioned he was using a
Samson Q2U USB/XLR Dynamic Microphone

It sounded good and was only $50ish on amazon so I'm looking into grabbing one. All the audio reviews I've heard sound good and it reduces a lot of the background noise that the NT USB still picks up, and it's smaller so stays out of the way :)

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Correct! Then it's SUPER important to edit that audio because it records in a flat profile, so you can bring out your voice in post.

I'm still new (lol nearly 6 years in) to audio... but I've been recording at about 85-90% on my computer, so I can come right up to the mic and not have to speak terribly loud.

My last video has some very questionable levels, but after applying adaptive noise reduction (to get rid of the sound of my computer fan)
And applying Tube-modeled Compressor (threshold: -13db output gain: 6.2db ratio 6x:1 attack: 1ms release: 279ms) it sounds really nice, my loudest sounds that previously were peaking and listenable, and the parts where I was quietly mumbling when I was thinking about what i was drawing, are now as clear as the louder parts :)

Yay for quick YouTube searches :p