• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Gear Opinion Canon is finally catching up!

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I think for a while canon cameras were kind of fumbling with innovations. Look at their drastic drop in sales last year, while competition rose. I think seeing more information from them, they're on an upswing and working to re-establish themselves. I think one thing that held them back was a marketing demanding 4K, and them being slow to give users what they asked for. I know 4K isn't the end all be all, but when I have clients who want 4K content, I have to go another brand, which lead me to Panasonic. I haven't looked back since.

What are your thoughts?

Bob the Canadian

TubeBuddy Pro
My son felt the same way. He moved to Sony. It all worked out though because I bought his Canon SL2 used and I'm quite happy with it. I'm not planning on moving to 4k anytime soon. I'll wait until my next computer purchase so I have the horsepower to render it in a reasonable amount of time. I could edit with proxies in Premiere I guess. Either way, my next camera will probably be a Canon again because I do like them.

Reactions: TubeBuddy
OP
OP
TubeBuddy

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
My son felt the same way. He moved to Sony. It all worked out though because I bought his Canon SL2 used and I'm quite happy with it. I'm not planning on moving to 4k anytime soon. I'll wait until my next computer purchase so I have the horsepower to render it in a reasonable amount of time. I could edit with proxies in Premiere I guess. Either way, my next camera will probably be a Canon again because I do like them.

That's super fair! I love canon's class, and I think they have some of the best autofocus on the market. I just want them to get better, because when they do all the others are forced to meet a new standard.

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
I don't know about Canon catching up... I have always really liked their cameras although for video Blackmagic has won me over. For photo I don't think there is any better company out there for the price.

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
I'm talking purely video wise

I got a bit mad when Canon was trying to sell me on the EOS R at VidCon... Mostly because of how much I wanted it for video features. 60fps 4k and 120fps 1080p both in C-Log.... cheaper than my 5D4 was what angered me the most on that.

OP
OP
TubeBuddy

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I got a bit mad when Canon was trying to sell me on the EOS R at VidCon... Mostly because of how much I wanted it for video features. 60fps 4k and 120fps 1080p both in C-Log.... cheaper than my 5D4 was what angered me the most on that.

Well they are their sales reps hahaha!

• Haha
Reactions: Aaron

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
I don't see them catching up at all. Only when they put the C200/300 mojo, mojo a.k.a. color science and other meaningless terms used these days, into a body the size and form factor of a 5D will I say their catching up. Panasonic's S1H is a dslr Varicam. Blackmagic's new P6k is a dslr URSA. Even Sigma is bustin' out with the fp cine cam in slr form factor. Of course Canon started all this is 5D mkii, but they certainly haven't kept up, and I think they have lost too much ground to leapfrog anyone.

If they're smart they'd chop the C300 down in price to something like $4,500. Then get to work on cramming that tech down into a camera the size of a 5d or even an 80D.

Even Panasonic dropped the cost of the EVA-1. they pretty much cramping that tech into a the new S1H.

I love my Canon glass, but man their cameras are old, high prices, and lack much in the likes of Blackmagic or even Panasonic.

• Love
Reactions: TubeBuddy
OP
OP
TubeBuddy

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I don't see them catching up at all. Only when they put the C200/300 mojo, mojo a.k.a. color science and other meaningless terms used these days, into a body the size and form factor of a 5D will I say their catching up. Panasonic's S1H is a dslr Varicam. Blackmagic's new P6k is a dslr URSA. Even Sigma is bustin' out with the fp cine cam in slr form factor. Of course Canon started all this is 5D mkii, but they certainly haven't kept up, and I think they have lost too much ground to leapfrog anyone.

If they're smart they'd chop the C300 down in price to something like $4,500. Then get to work on cramming that tech down into a camera the size of a 5d or even an 80D.

Even Panasonic dropped the cost of the EVA-1. they pretty much cramping that tech into a the new S1H.

I love my Canon glass, but man their cameras are old, high prices, and lack much in the likes of Blackmagic or even Panasonic.

Fair points. I think for entering consumers they are looking attractive again. I believe in dating the camera. Marry the lenses.

Reactions: Damon