• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Gear News Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera 6k!

OP
OP
Damon

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Considering Panasonic's new S1H, Z-cam's 6k S35 and full-frame offerings and Sigma's new fp, Blackmagic had to anwer. I wish they had made this in an L mount.

My guess is that they made that super big body to eventually house a 6k super35 sensor. That body is way too big for just a little M43 chip. Looks like they were planning ahead. I doubt it's a vlogging camera.

I've been saying for the longest time someone needed to make a camera that was between, say a GH5S and the Panasonic EVA-1. This one comes the closest as I figured take the GH5S sensor and pair it with the processing power of an EVA-1

Man, this is getting exiting!

1. Panasonic S1H
2. Sigma fp
3. Z-cam E2 S6
4. Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6k S35

It has gotten to a point where there essentially is no difference between a cinema camera and an slr aside from form factor.

OP
OP
Damon

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Looking at their Web site, it looks like they're totally replacing the old M43 P4k with the new 6k S35. This makes total sense. That GH5S sensor is so close to an APC-35mm-super35mm chip that it doesn't make much sense to stick with M43.

Think about it Nikon APC-S is, what, 1.5 crop? Canon APC-S is 1.6 crop. GH5S is 1.8 crop. What's the point of sticking with M43?

Panasonic just as well put a super 35 chip in the GH6, but they're kind of married at the hip to Olympus. You just don't see M43 growing.

The reality is super 35mm, 35mm and APS-C is an industry standard in terms of motion picture. They essentially all the same size chip--minor differences of course. Full-frame is a long time standard for stills, but many are using it in motion picture as well.

OP
OP
Damon

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Oh yeah, I saw that while looking through their product (because I found out that they did not only make DaVinci Resolve XD)! It looks nice, but I wouldn't know too much on how to actually use it to its full intent. Would like to get @Andrew or @Aaron's input on this camera :)

I was also looking at this one: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicmicrocinemacamera.

Yeah, it's a total movie camera for filmmakers really, but that's perfect for me since I was my fishing adventures to be true documentary films.

Yeah, the second one, Z-cam has a camera much like that. That Micro cinema camera has that nice little super 16mm sensor. That ad old movie standard that most TV, news and independent filmmakers used back in the 60s and 70s.

Reactions: Ikerot
OP
OP
Damon

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Dude, I'm convinced that Blackmagic has some kind of black hole reactor down under. You know one of those small black hole about the size of an aircraft carrier that can power the entire GDP of the world for like a trillion years. But they can't put out the tech too fast so they bide their time making little leaks. That's how we get 6k cameras i na S35 chip at only $2499.

• Haha
Reactions: TubeBuddy

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Dude, I'm convinced that Blackmagic has some kind of black hole reactor down under. You know one of those small black hole about the size of an aircraft carrier that can power the entire GDP of the world for like a trillion years. But they can't put out the tech too fast so they bide their time making little leaks. That's how we get 6k cameras i na S35 chip at only $2499.

That is true! Also Damon we made changes to this section to be more useful! I hope you like them :D

Reactions: Damon

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
6k at 60fps is absolutely unheard of... Will be interesting to see footage, data rates, more info on windowed slow-mo etc... I am skeptical (and also not a big fan of the only 13 stops of dynamic range) but I will be keeping my eyes on this and possibly will pick one up to use as a B-Cam instead of my 5D4.

OP
OP
Damon

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
As far as the 13 stop of dynamic range remember that that 13 stops comes from the 12 bit RAW, the Blackmagic RAW. Any company can sell 15 stops of dynamic range then bury that last three or four stops down in the shadows where you can't see it anyway. So when Blackmagic saws 13 stops, they mean 13 stops that you can actually see with the naked eye.

Instead most companies say "15 stops," "15 stop of dynamic range!!!!!1!!!1!!!." You naturally think oh, I get it 15 stops really means 11 or 12 stopsof practical range. Na, it's 13 stops of plan jane range that you can actually use in the film.

Given that BRAW can be shot in different bit rates like 12:1, 8:1, 5:1, 3:1 is very impressive. So when shooting 12-bit raw, that 13 steps of dynamic range is totally usable real estate from what I understand.

• Love
Reactions: Aaron

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
As far as the 13 stop of dynamic range remember that that 13 stops comes from the 12 bit RAW, the Blackmagic RAW. Any company can sell 15 stops of dynamic range then bury that last three or four stops down in the shadows where you can't see it anyway. So when Blackmagic saws 13 stops, they mean 13 stops that you can actually see with the naked eye.

Instead most companies say "15 stops," "15 stop of dynamic range!!!!!1!!!1!!!." You naturally think oh, I get it 15 stops really means 11 or 12 stopsof practical range. Na, it's 13 stops of plan jane range that you can actually use in the film.

Given that BRAW can be shot in different bit rates like 12:1, 8:1, 5:1, 3:1 is very impressive. So when shooting 12-bit raw, that 13 steps of dynamic range is totally usable real estate from what I understand.

I'm spoiled by the 15 on the URSA. That and Canon's 5D4 Claims 12 @ ISO 400 from what I've read and from what I can see if I shoot C-Log it does look like I'm getting pretty much that (although as you say I feel like it only helps in the shadows on that camera).

I'm curious to see some footage samples from this camera in real-life use but if I like what I see I'll heavily consider picking one up.

OP
OP
Damon

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
On the URSA of course you have like a Saturn V rocket power house to process everything. Have you experimented with BRAW much? The P6k is like an F110 engine on an F-16. Yeah, only an F110, lol.

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
On the URSA of course you have like a Saturn V rocket power house to process everything. Have you experimented with BRAW much? The P6k is like an F110 engine on an F-16. Yeah, only an F110, lol.

Yes! I have been working with BRAW a bit (very satisfied)... working up my confidence with it grading wise before I bring it on a bigger shoot.

RazzBarlow

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Whew! $2,500 is a bit out of my price range right now. I'd love to be at this level, but I'd have to upgrade my skills at the same time to do a camera of this quality real justice. #lifegoals.

• Love
Reactions: Damon and Aaron
OP
OP
Damon

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Razz, yeah, I remember when I first laid eyes on a Panasonic at $1,400. Totally blown away at the price! That was only a few years ago. Now I look at this thing with totaly disdain. Got it all rigged out and still wanting more color data.

Once you start cranking out tons of videos and sort pledge to aspire to a higher technical and "artistic" standard, you see a camera like Blackmagic at $2499 and think "Whoah, that's a $25k cine camera at $2.5k!"

OP
OP
Damon

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Been thinking about this camera a lot over the past few days. Since I use old Canon FD glass, adapting them for EF doesn't work well. For adapting glass M43 is king. So I'd rather buy a pair of P4ks for the price of a single P6k for me.

Where I see the P6k shining is for people who have the URSA and need a b-camera but don't want to go the adapted glass route.

clay_9

I've worked hands on with the URSA mini and URSA broadcast and they are excellent cameras so I have no doubt a 6k version would be even more epic-er! (I know that is not a word but it really should be).

That said, they are geared more towards short films and / or static locations. They are not strong in run and gun situations where you need quick access to all camera functions on the body of the camera (case in point, the Sony FS5).

But it all depends on what the camera is going to be used for.

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
Heavily considering picking one of these up to actually be a B-Cam for my URSA however I want to see footage and reviewer experience first before I even think about it. BMD is notorious for QC issues and if I decide to get one I want to jump after the first few hundred are out there.

OP
OP
Damon

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Yeah, that's my big concern, you can't produce a $25k cinema camera for $2.5k without making compromises somewhere. At some point you don't believe in the product because the price is too cheap for what they're charging.

Reactions: Aaron