Need Advice Standing out in the Gaming Niche...

mcnakahr

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Hello, at a glance it appears there are not many gaming channels here but I still would like this advice as it does pertain to anyone who is trying to cover the same topic as others.
Anyway, as a small channel just starting out I'm finding it difficult to find topics within my niche that are not already been covered to death. Since my niche is gaming the topics are usually games, everywhere I look it seems like every game in existence has been covered to death. I know my take on things is unique just like anyone else's but how could I stand out better? Is this a common issue among creators trying to discuss or cover the same issue many, many others are covering or is this just effecting the gaming niche? Thoughts?

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Hello, at a glance it appears there are not many gaming channels here but I still would like this advice as it does pertain to anyone who is trying to cover the same topic as others.
Anyway, as a small channel just starting out I'm finding it difficult to find topics within my niche that are not already been covered to death. Since my niche is gaming the topics are usually games, everywhere I look it seems like every game in existence has been covered to death. I know my take on things is unique just like anyone else's but how could I stand out better? Is this a common issue among creators trying to discuss or cover the same issue many, many others are covering or is this just effecting the gaming niche? Thoughts?
So I actually have a gaming channel. The best thing you can do is focus on the things that the larger people aren't covering. Since you play games their are BOUND to be things they aren't. It's easier for starting for you to focus on one game an audience can know you for, so when you DO branch out you can then have the support of an audience. It's a balance. How many pieces of content have you created? :)

Ater

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy Pro
The gaming niche may not be small enough, you might need to find a niche within a niche within a nice.

That's kind of the route I'm taking for my small gaming channel. I started out doing content for a huge and very popular game. Clearly I had no chance in competing against thousands of other much larger channels. After a while I decided to try making content for a much smaller game, so small that the biggest channels focusing on it had less then 80k subs. But even with a smaller niche I couldn't compete with all the established channels. So I did some research about the niche and found that a lot of people where doing let's plays but almost nobody was doing tutorials so I tried to do a few tutorials for the game and finally my channel started to get traffic and subscribers.

Earlier this year I decided to branch out to another pretty small game that just got released and I used what I had learned and decided to focus on tutorials from day one. I expected that since the game where about to get released there would be a bit of hype for the game and bigger channels would definitely do tutorials for the game. So instead of just doing a broad "learn to play the game" tutorials which I expected most bigger channels would do I decided to make it even more niche, smaller tutorials for specific things, like how do you do X in the game and how do you fix Y in the game. A niche (small specific tutorials) within a niche (tutorials) within a nice (strategy game) within a niche (gaming). And I was correct most other channels did the beginners guide but very few did the more specific tutorials and I got a bunch of views and new subs from them.

I still do let's plays for the games just for fun since I enjoying playing them but my let's plays often get less than 100 views/episodes while most of my tutorials reach 5k+ views with the most popular once get 20k+.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mcnakahr

mcnakahr

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Okay, so your saying is don't ever play anything popular even if I like it and have been getting subs because people are coming for my personality, not the game and I need to stop doing let's plays because I'll never grow? Also, why are you calling yourself small? I'm not striving to be big or small, just a content creator. I don't get why it seems to be cultural norm now to divide content creators by audience size. Please note to all reading this, I am a blunt person. Yes, this sounds like I'm complaining yet I am not. I am only speaking my mind.

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
You know I'm blunt as well, but you bring a totally valid point/question. This is something I've experimented with on my fishing channel. The internet is filled up now. It all comes down to your goals. I've observed on my own channel, whenever I go off topic, they don't watch. Often the tutorial content doesn't get a lot of views up front, but often produces over time. The higher quality content often produces well over the whole spectrum.

So to answer your questions, let's go through them one at a time. Caveat: I answer based on my own education, experience and training. Other people may have different answers based on their education, experience and training.

1. Okay, so your saying is don't ever play anything popular even if I like it and have been getting subs because people are coming for my personality, not the game and I need to stop doing let's plays because I'll never grow?

You need to experiment, just for your own sanity. Play something popular but find out there the big boys are not talking about. Maybe you've found a new way to beat a level that they don't. Maybe your thing is different skins or something.

2. Also, why are you calling yourself small? I don't get why it seems to be cultural norm now to divide content creators by audience size.

Because I am. The universe is way bigger than any of us no matter the quantity, but I agree that the cultural divide mentioned is just totally worthless and means nothing.

3. I know my take on things is unique just like anyone else's but how could I stand out better? Is this a common issue among creators trying to discuss or cover the same issue many, many others are covering or is this just effecting the gaming niche? Thoughts?

Yes, this is a common issue among all creators at this point. Fishing channel are just as common if not more common than gaming channels. Most everyone is sport competition-style bass fishing--at least in the US. I focus on catfish and bluegill. I don't even use rod and reel, just traditional folk methods like jug lines, handline and cane poles.

For me it came down to storytelling. There are a ton of watch-me-go-fishing videos, but hardly anyone telling realistic fishing stories like National Geographic or films like A River Runs Through It. What made me stand out was applying film and TV production techniques to my fishing videos.

That may work for you, it may not. Between Ater, Andrew and what I've said, try these things and test for yourself.

4. Please note to all reading this, I am a blunt person. Yes, this sounds like I'm complaining yet I am not. I am only speaking my mind.

And, yes, you do sound like you're complaining. If that is what your mind is like, then you don't seem to have a peaceful, restful mind. That alone can translate into your YouTube channel. People can pick up on those sorts of things. Blessings to you. Take the advice from Andrew and Ater because it's solid, proven advice. Above all and ultimately consider testing these things for yourself. Data and time are the only things that can answer these questions.

Lastly, understand that if you are blunt with others, but you can't handle others being blunt with you, then what does that say about you?

Last edited:

Ater

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Okay, so your saying is don't ever play anything popular even if I like it and have been getting subs because people are coming for my personality, not the game and I need to stop doing let's plays because I'll never grow?
No I'm not saying don't ever play anything popular, now you are just putting words in my mouth. It's you channel you should do whatever you love.

This was a pure answer to the question about the gaming niche and how to find topics that haven't been covered to death. The more popular the game is the more people will be making videos for it and the harder it will be to find topics that aren't already crowded and even if you have the best personality in the world it will be very hard for it to shine if you are a new channel or a very tiny channel since your videos most likely will drown among bigger creators so people never find them. That's what I did, I had to find a niche within a niche within a niche to be able to find topics that haven't been covered to death.

I'm not saying it's impossible, new people make it every day so you should follow your hart and you passion. What I'm saying is that if you are a gamer there are probably dozens of games that you love and have a passion for, maybe one of them will have more topics that haven't been covered to death by other content creators (most likely one of the smaller games you love) which means that if you create content for that game there will be a bigger chance for people to find your content and get to know your personality.

Example:
You love to make video game news and you create a video game news channel and start uploading videos.
You do it with a passion, you love it and your videos are really really good.
But since you are a new channel your videos, even with decent seo, ends up on page 12 on the YouTube search and nobody finds them.
Of course you could get lucky, maybe one of your news videos may go viral or get shared by the right people and your channel will explode, but you cant count on it.

Instead you could start by focusing on news for that smaller strategy game that you love.
You do it with passion, you love it and your videos are really good.
Not many channels posts news about your game and you can easily find topics no one lease have covered and your videos finds it's way into top 10 and people start finding your channel.
People love the quality of your videos and your personality and start subscribing to not miss your next video.
As your channel grows you start broaden your gaming news to other strategy games within the same niche of strategy games.
Then you start making gaming news for all types of strategy games.
Then you start making gaming news for all types of games, with your now larger channel where all new videos get a lot of vies your gaming news videos show up in the top 10 no matter what game or gaming niche you make.

Both ways are okay, you should follow your hart and both ways can lead to success. The later way will make it easier for you to find topics that haven't been covered a houndred times by others and when you finally start covering more competitive topics you are big enough to actually have your videos watched.

Also, why are you calling yourself small? I'm not striving to be big or small, just a content creator. I don't get why it seems to be cultural norm now to divide content creators by audience size. Please note to all reading this, I am a blunt person. Yes, this sounds like I'm complaining yet I am not. I am only speaking my mind.
Because I am small? To me that is not a bad thing, it's just a fact. Actually to see other channels grow and succeed is inspiring to me. And going from a super tiny channel to a small one myself has been motivating, interesting and rewarding journey and I look forward to the next part. I love to set milestones, targets and dreams both in my personal life and for my channel. To me seeing my channel growing is a sign that I'm doing something right and that other people enjoy the hard work I put into it.

You don't divide content creators just by audience size, you divide them by a lot of different things. By the type of content they create, by their personality, by the genre of their videos, by the number of views they get, by the number of subscribers, by the community they build, by the language they speak in their videos, by their style and so on. That's not a bad thing it's just different niches, personalities and stages in the channels lifespan.

This is a forum with the goal of helping people to have their videos watched on YouTube, simple things as experience, statistics, analytics etc is used for that. It's nothing strange that a smaller channel and a bigger channel will have different possibilities, opportunity and limitations to do that. That's not saying a smaller channel is bad or a bigger channel is good just that they have different prerequisites and that different strategies and plans will probably be a smart thing based on where you channel's at currently and what goals you have for it.

Last edited: