Video Research How do you plan/script/storyboard your “hero” videos

Beanie Draws

This question is more for @Andrew but anyone can chime in, or watch and read other’s responses :)

I’m working on 2 “bigger” projects. One for vidsummit competition, one for my channel. The idea is for it to be a bit “the odd ones out”/game theory in style. I’m visualising how the video will pan out before i’ve Marked anything down.

Now i’m Typing out a script, then I get an idea of how I want to frame it so i’m Writing down how the shot will look, but then I’d rather just draw how I want the shot to look (storyboarding) and I’m wondering if there’s any mobile apps or such that others use to plan out their videos.

@Andrew i’m unsure if you edit for the TubeBuddy videos, but I’m sure there’s a lot of planning that goes into how the diagrams will work “when I meantion this feature, we should show a screenshot or screen capture of me using it” or when you do your vlogs, I imagine you’re thinking “when I describe my trip, I should include this b roll”
how do you actually plan it down. Do you storyboard it at all or is it in the script and you plan it out after in editing?

I’ve never made videos like this before, but I think it could be a cool way to play and experiment with animation, but it does require a lot of pre-planning to know what scenes I want to animate for each point I’m trying to explain. If it works well though, this is a new avenue I see myself taking for some of my content.

so if anyone has experience and hints they can give me I’m all ears :)

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
This question is more for @Andrew but anyone can chime in, or watch and read other’s responses :)

I’m working on 2 “bigger” projects. One for vidsummit competition, one for my channel. The idea is for it to be a bit “the odd ones out”/game theory in style. I’m visualising how the video will pan out before i’ve Marked anything down.

Now i’m Typing out a script, then I get an idea of how I want to frame it so i’m Writing down how the shot will look, but then I’d rather just draw how I want the shot to look (storyboarding) and I’m wondering if there’s any mobile apps or such that others use to plan out their videos.

@Andrew i’m unsure if you edit for the TubeBuddy videos, but I’m sure there’s a lot of planning that goes into how the diagrams will work “when I meantion this feature, we should show a screenshot or screen capture of me using it” or when you do your vlogs, I imagine you’re thinking “when I describe my trip, I should include this b roll”
how do you actually plan it down. Do you storyboard it at all or is it in the script and you plan it out after in editing?

I’ve never made videos like this before, but I think it could be a cool way to play and experiment with animation, but it does require a lot of pre-planning to know what scenes I want to animate for each point I’m trying to explain. If it works well though, this is a new avenue I see myself taking for some of my content.

so if anyone has experience and hints they can give me I’m all ears :)
Great question @Beanie Draws first, I do edit the TubeBuddy Videos! :D Second, I usually write it down in the script for those videos, since they are approved by a team, but otherwise. I write down a shot list, and describe how I want each shot to look. If I'm with a large team I'll use toys and mini sets, to help show my vision, because I can't draw to save my life haha. However, I always think about what would be the most interesting shot, that furthers the story, but also keeps the viewer engaged. That's IMPORTANT. Pretty B-roll is great, but if it doesn't expand the world, story, etc. It doesn't really matter.

I think that you could do a style like this, and you are very personable. Keep it with who you are, but also keep in mind. Would this get boring? Who is my ideal audience for this piece?