Channel Review Channel Review needed!

McNaquar

New User
Subscriber Goal
User name: McNaquar
Title of thread: Channel Review needed!
Self review: Thumbnails seem decent and relevant, content is unfortunately over games that not many play, something about overall presentation in each video by content creator seems to be lacking which may be causing audience to leave. SEO seems to be used efficiently. It is unclear what else is not working for the channel. The video link is to a video that is getting decent views but poor retention,1:43/9:05 (19%). It's a decent sampling of my performance and it's not good. It appears barely anyone has watched to the end and recently no one has watch even half of it with no comments. And that's seems to be a trend with my channel, unfortunately. Across the board no video of any game is getting that much when viewed. It's almost as if some common thing is running off any audience I get. I welcome any critique.
Link to video:
View: https://youtu.be/2hiow56jc-8

Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/19115/post-59192

Last edited:

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
User name: McNaquar
Title of thread: Channel Review needed!
Self review: Thumbnails seem decent and relevant, content is unfortunately over games that not many play, something about overall presentation in each video by content creator seems to be lacking which may be causing audience to leave. SEO seems to be used efficiently. It is unclear what else is not working for the channel. The video link is to a video that is getting decent views but poor retention,1:43/9:05 (19%). It's a decent sampling of my performance and it's not good. It appears barely anyone has watched to the end and recently no one has watch even half of it with no comments. And that's seems to be a trend with my channel, unfortunately. Across the board no video of any game is getting that much when viewed. It's almost as if some common thing is running off any audience I get. I welcome any critique.
Link to video:
View: https://youtu.be/2hiow56jc-8

Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/19115/post-59192
I don't know the game that well, so it's hard for me to talk about this on that level. I would say you have the compelling element first, which YouTube says you should have the searchable part which is let's play Castlevania SotN Randomizer then the compelling part is No Cube of Zoe!? Oh heck no. Are you using TB incognito mode results, because for me you're only ranking for yourself and then the phrase "Cube of Zoe." For retention I'd say my thing was I wasn't too sure what you were doing, but I'm sure the people who play will know exactly what you're doing. I also had no real reason to comment, you didn't ask any questions specifically to me that I could tell. Is a bunch of bats a school? Kind of, but that's not really engaging. I have no clear goal objective, or reason really. I feel by saying what you want to get done, or the plans in the start let's me know. I know you want to beat the level, but why should I stay invested in YOU? what are YOU doing for ME the viewer? That's the question I'd ask. What will make YOU different? Also you're not asking me to do anything, so I get kind of bored as a viewer. Challenge me, engage with ME the viewer. That's what I'd say :) I hope that helps!

OP
OP
McNaquar

McNaquar

New User
Subscriber Goal
I think your review was a little harsh, I've never seen a single video on YouTube with the compelling element after the searchable term. Also your opinion on engagement seemed like you expected me to be an expert at engaging an audience. I'm not a Hollywood actor. Plus I've seen people put comments on videos without questions in them, it isn't required. As for the questions involving me giving a viewer a reason to watch... I feel as if you are giving an unrealistic expectation. I understand you are a professional and your niche is different but I feel like you reviewed that video and not my channel as if to tell me I shouldn't even run a channel and I don't see what the use in that was. Also FYI: I looked shortly after receiving notification that you replied and you didn't watch that video which is fine I was only showing it in hopes that maybe another Gaming Channel owner could give me advice, but you claimed you did. Shortly after you posted I got one view on my channel intro... you didn't mention that. Maybe be a little more honest?

Last edited:

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I think your review was a little harsh, I've never seen a single video on YouTube with the compelling element after the searchable term. Also your opinion on engagement seemed like you expected me to be an expert at engaging an audience. I'm not a Hollywood actor. Plus I've seen people put comments on videos without questions in them, it isn't required. As for the questions involving me giving a viewer a reason to watch... I feel as if you are giving an unrealistic expectation. I understand you are a professional and your niche is different but I feel like you reviewed that video and not my channel as if to tell me I shouldn't even run a channel and I don't see what the use in that was. Also FYI: I looked shortly after receiving notification that you replied and you didn't watch that video which is fine I was only showing it in hopes that maybe another Gaming Channel owner could give me advice, but you claimed you did. Shortly after you posted I got one view on my channel intro... you didn't mention that. Maybe be a little more honest?
First, I didn't mean anything hashly o_O I Just commented what I felt, I apologize if it came off harshly. Second, I did watch the video o_O? I do see now that I made a mistake, and didn't check out your channel, that's my bad. I clicked the video on it here on the forums, and let it play. I also DO own a gaming channel actually. It's called WeKanGame. So It's a thing that's been around for a while, and I hit 3,000 subs on it yesterday. So I'm being 100% honest that I did review your video, but not the channel again my bad. For smaller channels, the best way to grow is through search. We have a video on it here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzoLKuKaO8Q
which talks about having a searchable part first, then compelling element.

I'm not saying I'm expecting you to have expertise, but you asked:
It is unclear what else is not working for the channel. The video link is to a video that is getting decent views but poor retention,1:43/9:05 (19%). It's a decent sampling of my performance and it's not good. It appears barely anyone has watched to the end and recently no one has watch even half of it with no comments. And that's seems to be a trend with my channel, unfortunately. Across the board no video of any game is getting that much when viewed. It's almost as if some common thing is running off any audience I get. I welcome any critique.
Which I gave you critiques about that video... again I'm not trying to be harsh. In fact this is pretty common to how I give my normal feedback. Remember there is no voice, so you can't hear how I'm saying this. I really do wish you well :)

I thought you wanted me to gauge your overall videos ON the channel based on that, but again confusion on my part.

SO now I will give you a channel review too!

When I look at your banner. I see "McNaquar Gaming" a cool background. However, does it answer to new viewers. "What games you'll be playing?" "When you'll be posting videos" "Who is posting them" "How will they help me" "Why should I subscribe to you?" not really. You might have this in your about page, but your channel banner doesn't really. I see you have on desktop a channel trailer! That does a great job saying it, but 80% of YouTube is watched on phone, so that doesn't auto play when I select your channel. That's why it's REALLY important to post that there.

Second I see you have playlists for visual novels and horror games and you've described them! Remember YouTube is a search engine, which is why I told you to put the Searchable element first, compelling element second. I see here you have visual novels, and horror game playlists, but maybe create playlists for EACH specific game!

Besides that, I would say for video lengths I'm seeing different lengths across all the videos. When I started I tried to keep them around 10 - 15 minutes, and when I got more authority in the space I was able to expand past that. However, look at your videos on what's been performing well for you. Again at a smaller size, search is going to be your best friend in getting viewers in and getting them to watch. It's not impossible, but it is hard work!

I hope again, you understand! I don't mean anything harsh. Sorry for contusion on my part, and I hope this helps you better understand where I'm coming from.

Proof of my gaming channel:

3,000 Subs WKG.png

BraveStarrTG

Life Is A Game
Subscriber Goal
I was gonna give my opinion on this but now am not sure considering I usually state that my take is an opinion with constructive criticism but people may still get upset. It seemed to me that you were not expecting strong criticism of your video or channel. You got upset rather than looking at it objectively. Why ask for a review if you're gonna get upset with the replies you get?

Your channel has 11 videos, 3 or the same game and the rest of different games plus one that seems more like a vlog. You're asking why your videos are not performing even though you feel you are doing most things right. This is a question that is asked by every new youtuber who's been youtubing for less than a year expecting overnight miracles. If you're not willing to hear criticism you will never understand what problems you may be having to grow your channel.

Also bare in mind that although not everyone has the same kind of channel, the rules of how YT work tend to be universal regardless of what kind of YT channel you have. I myself have a gaming channel and a creator help channel for gamers specifically because there are a few things different for gamers but most basic opinions on how to grow a channel in 2019 apply to most channels.

OP
OP
McNaquar

McNaquar

New User
Subscriber Goal
Okay for one, BraveStarrTG. I'm not expecting and overnight miracle... though it seems I'm not growing even a tiny bit.
A little off topic but needs to be said: To be clear here I've been trying at this for 3 years total. Feb. 12, 2017 - Sept. 13, 2018 I kept getting up and down growth due to people trying to get me to sub4sub and nothing else I ended up with 70 subs, 65 inactive before I had to shut it down due to a troll that not only disliked my videos in droves using bots (that helped interaction), only viewed them for only seconds a time making the total audience retention under 5 seconds for my channel, and left me a threatening email to quit the platform or else he would not stop hitting my channel with bots. I reached out to YouTube several times only to be told since he wasn't on the platform I had to deal with it on my own. I shut my channel down mid 2018 and attempted to revive it. This lasted until late 2018 when the troll found my channel again. He sent me another threatening email, this time threatening to locate and harm me if I didn't quit. He also decided to steal one of my videos and make a replica channel which is still on YouTube but inactive because YouTube did in fact finally put and end to the abuse. He took the stolen video which I did file a DMCA complaint on and got it took down soon after he uploaded it and edited it into what I can only call a weapon against my character. The video that he stole was of me attempting the Reddit 50/50 challenge. What he did was edit the video to give the impression that I was laughing at minorities and horrifying images. He also edited the video to show I was horrified at members of the LGTBQ (Which FYI doesn't make sense because I'm bi). When I presented that to YouTube it took weeks but finally the troll was stopped but not before he did the audience retention damage again. Since I did not know about TubeBuddy at the time I took the only option I found appropriate and restarted yet again in May 24, 2019... so yeah I'm not entirely new to YouTube. I'm hoping my explanation was helpful and within the rules. I'm aware it isn't a pleasant story. Also before anyone mentions it yes I am aware that audience retention can recover... to a degree, however through that experience I learned that actually audience retention can't recover if it's below a certain threshold. Many videos that had the percentage viewed reduced to 10% by the troll's bots weren't even visible in search even by the name or YouTube shortened url (at the time I was using I make terrible choices Boost). I don't see this issue returning and fortunately never learned any information above an email address of the troll. Again I hope this clears things up.
Back on topic: Since you mentioned the number of videos I have I'm guess that is only one of the issues, right? That can be worked on. For two, as far as my presentation skills and SEO, I have gotten some viewers and comments but those dropped off now it seems I'm only getting consistent viewing from one of my subscribers who happens to be my fiance and the rest I guess are not liking my presentation skills or my SEO for the videos are giving them the wrong idea? I suppose I need to work on things. Thank you both for your advice. I welcome anyone else's feedback.

Additionally, I do apologies for the long winded off topic explanation. I debated whether or not to pm BraveStarrTG and Andrew but I felt this information needed to be shared to provide context into my review request.

Last edited:

BraveStarrTG

Life Is A Game
Subscriber Goal
Okay for one, BraveStarrTG. I'm not expecting and overnight miracle... though it seems I'm not growing even a tiny bit.
A little off topic but needs to be said: To be clear here I've been trying at this for 3 years total. 2017 - 2018 I kept getting up and down growth due to people trying to get me to sub4sub and nothing else I ended up with 70 subs, 65 inactive before I had to shut it down...
Let me first say I'm sorry that you had to deal with such an issue. Sadly enough, a lot of YTers have to deal with such terrible things and it's such a shame there is so little that can be done to stop people like that. I'm not trying to diminish your experience simply that I hate hearing stories like these cause as a YTer myself I would hate to find myself in a similar situation.

Now, just so we are clear. I am not saying you are new as in you've never been on YT before. We need to reach a point here where you are not reading far more into a person's comments than you should. When someone says you are new on YT it often means that your channel is new, that you are just starting a channel and unless you have the popularity of someone like Jack Black who's Jablinski Games channel had thousands and then millions of subs before he posted his 3rd video, your channel has not been exposed to the YT userbase enough for it to grow. I myself have been on YT for about 3 years on different channels, experimenting and learning but not until recently understanding how it all worked, mostly.

Second, let's be realistic, every YTer expects overnight success in some way. A few subs every week, more and more views after every new video, reaching the YT partnership eligibility requirements of 1000 subs/4000 view hours in less than a year. This is just standard mentality for anyone starting a channel, nothing wrong with that. As a member of the TubeBuddy moderators, I have seen with my own eyes that the number one question most YTers have is why doesn't their channel grow because they mostly believe it's as simple as uploading a video and people will just find it and when they use TubeBuddy their expectations are often that of a miracle where they think that because they paid for a subscription they will suddenly grow overnight. But that is not how it works. The variables of growing a YT channel in 2019 are as complex as calculating the speed of an object flying through space hundreds of lightyears away from Earth. But at the same time is easy to understand with enough dedication to learn and willingness to listen to those who may just have a bit more knowledge than you.

Your number of videos is definitely an issue but this is an issue most YTers have for the obvious reason. How can we expect people to want to watch our content if we don't have enough content to be known to begin with? To tell the YT algorithm that you got good stuff worth showing to others. Granted there are the exceptions such as Van Girl Jennelle but we can't compare ourselves to others, especially people who manage to get a once in a lifetime chance to succeed regardless of the rules everyone else has to abide by. But bare in mind more videos does not mean guaranteed success.

There is no magical formula, no trick, no cheat code that we can use to do what Jennelle did or even what Pewdie Pie has managed to accomplish. The real truth is that it takes times to grow a channel. It takes patience to wait for it to grow. It takes hard work to make good content that people wanna watch. It takes learning how YT works in 2019 and staying informed on how it evolves so that you can evolve with it. And it also takes being willing to accept that you may not know everything you think you know and that listening to those who have some knowledge and trying it out yourself and see what works and what doesn't.

And above all else don't be so defensive. Some of us want to actually help and sometimes honesty and truth is the best way to help. It may sometimes come off as rude and harsh but it's not always meant that way. Try to be a bit more understanding in the future and not jump to conclusions so quickly. We are here to help and we wanna help. Granted we can only do so much and there is no guarantee your channel will grow with our help, with TubeBuddy or any other advice you get but what matters is trying.

OP
OP
McNaquar

McNaquar

New User
Subscriber Goal
Okay I will work on being more understanding from here on out. For me the level of success I'm guess I'm just fooling myself into believing is just maybe a few views that were loners than under a minute and a comment or two that wasn't just from my own fiance or the dev of an indie game I happen to do a video over... I guess I have a lot of work to do outside of producing the videos. I need to work on SEO and YSO (YouTuber Self Optimization lol) I know there is no secret anything to success and this is going to take time. Thank you again, BraveStarrTG.

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Okay I will work on being more understanding from here on out. For me the level of success I'm guess I'm just fooling myself into believing is just maybe a few views that were loners than under a minute and a comment or two that wasn't just from my own fiance or the dev of an indie game I happen to do a video over... I guess I have a lot of work to do outside of producing the videos. I need to work on SEO and YSO (YouTuber Self Optimization lol) I know there is no secret anything to success and this is going to take time. Thank you again, BraveStarrTG.
The information I was talking about in my post is a great place to start.