YouTube News What is the Typical Minimum Amount of Subscribers Needed to Start Affiliate Marketing?

Physx

New User
Ok, so I recently started a YouTube channel and am very much interested in affiliate marketing. However, I am wondering how many subscribers do you typically need to build up prior to companies wanting to do affiliate marketing with you? I only have a small handful of subscribers currently, so the handful of companies I reached out to regarding their affiliate marketing programs never got back in touch with me. I guess they just didn't see me as worthwhile bothering with. So, does anyone know how much you typically need to build a channel before companies will want to work with you?

Tito Tim

TubeBuddy User
I got into Amazon affiliate marketing, but I think it was too soon. I had about 1,500 subs when I joined and because there are so few clicks... no sales... they are now threatening to remove me from the affiliate program. But say I can rejoin anytime I want. Not sure when it will be productive. I have been in the Amazon program about a year and got my first sale last month (at 3,000 subs).

Many companies let you be an affiliate with no questions. If you make sales, good for them. If you do not make sales, no loss for them.

OP
OP
P

Physx

New User
Good to know, thanks. So, I guess it just depends on the company then. I reached out to five, and of those five, not a single one reached back out to me.

The problem is they do have a loss if you make no sales for them, as the ones I reached out to were supposed to have a rep get back in touch with me. In all five cases, I never heard back from a rep. So, it's their money they are spending on that rep that reaches out to you, and then whatever staff they have that sets up your account for being an affiliate, etc. So, a company most certainly would take a loss if affiliates don't make them any money.

It's really frustrating, because so many websites make it sound like affiliate marketing is "so easy" and "tons of money to be made," but they all neglect to cover the fact that UNTIL you have a solid amount of content and subscribers following that content, you aren't going to be able to make anything, as most companies won't even bother with you. In fact, the current content on the web about affiliate marketing is SO deceptive, I am actually making some content on my own page discussing how those who hype up how "easy" affiliate marketing is are only lying to you, as EVERY single one I have looked at so far fails to mention that affiliate marketing isn't feasible until you have a well-established channel and following.

I even saw one that ranted about this woman who made her first video for affiliate marketing and made her first $30 off it. The article was VERY misleading, as they made it seem like this woman simply reached out to a company, became an affiliate marketer, made a video, and started making money. When I investigated the matter, the article failed to mention that the woman already had 500+ followers on her channel by then.

So yes, seems like affiliate marketing *can* be easy, but *only* after you have the following.

Beanie Draws

I got into Amazon affiliate marketing, but I think it was too soon. I had about 1,500 subs when I joined and because there are so few clicks... no sales... they are now threatening to remove me from the affiliate program. But say I can rejoin anytime I want. Not sure when it will be productive. I have been in the Amazon program about a year and got my first sale last month (at 3,000 subs).

Many companies let you be an affiliate with no questions. If you make sales, good for them. If you do not make sales, no loss for them.
With Amazon you have to make I think either 1 or 3 “qualifying sales” in the first 3 months, or 6 months, can’t fully remember, to stay as an affiliate. I got the same warning and got kicked off after my first 6 months. I instantly rejoined fine.

that said I know someone with 1k subscribers who was rejected from amazon affiliate before even applying.

some companies require 5k subs, some 10k+ others 0. You don’t know if you don’t try :)

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Ok, so I recently started a YouTube channel and am very much interested in affiliate marketing. However, I am wondering how many subscribers do you typically need to build up prior to companies wanting to do affiliate marketing with you? I only have a small handful of subscribers currently, so the handful of companies I reached out to regarding their affiliate marketing programs never got back in touch with me. I guess they just didn't see me as worthwhile bothering with. So, does anyone know how much you typically need to build a channel before companies will want to work with you?

You can affiliate market with amazon, TubeBuddy, etc. and have 0 subscribers same with companies like humblebundle. The idea though is can you ACTUALLY get sales. That's the thing that will get you kicked out of programs like that.