YouTube Question What if a monetized channel falls below view threshold?

Tito Tim

TubeBuddy Pro
titotim.com
So, yeah... What if a monetized channel falls below view threshold?
I have been posting vids regularly for about 2 years, Mon & Fri. I avg about 100,000 minutes a month in views. But I have been having some health issues and need to take a break. Not quitting, but no longer on a regular schedule.

My vids only get views for a few days. My regulars watch, and that is about it. If I take a break and post way less vids... what happens if my watch time falls below the monetization threshold? Do I lose monetization? It would make sense to me, if you no longer meet the criteria, you are out.

Anyone know for sure how that works?

Ikerot

Not a mod
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
Huh... I never thought about it like that. Will have to @Andrew to see if he has info on that.

Though I've never heard them say that you need to keep up the criteria in order to have your channel stay monetized.

BraveStarrTG

Life Is A Game
Subscriber Goal
Same hear. I've always heard the 1000 subs/4000 view hours was meant to be the goal to qualify for monetization but I've never heard that you have to maintain 4000 view hours to keep it. I mean, unless YT checks your channel every year to see if you're still getting at least 4000 view hours and are still above 1000 subs as part of qualifying. I've never heard of that. That's a great question.

Beanie Draws

This was The very first question I asked them when the news first broke and they NEVER responded. No one has ever been able to provide an actual answer.

Andrew’s answer is probably most likely, as long as you’ve at least hit the 1k threshold you should be fine. Views and watchtime I think are more their way of ensuring someone isn’t gaming the system, but if you’ve been monetised long enough you should be safe :)

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
This was The very first question I asked them when the news first broke and they NEVER responded. No one has ever been able to provide an actual answer.

Andrew’s answer is probably most likely, as long as you’ve at least hit the 1k threshold you should be fine. Views and watchtime I think are more their way of ensuring someone isn’t gaming the system, but if you’ve been monetised long enough you should be safe :)
Pretty much this. I asked at the YouTube space and they told me "Huh, I never thought about that." I think it's if you hit it once, you SHOULD be fine, but again it's always up to their choice.