TubeBuddy Tips Make your titles searchable and COMPELLING!

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Hello Everyone!

I went to VidCon 2019, and I had the opportunity to sit down with someone from YouTube search! Thanks @Aaron for helping me know she was there. She told me that when it comes to search, the number one thing people tend to forget is the compelling element. I know what this means, but let me break it down.

When crafting a title on YouTube, you should make the first reason searchable. Example is if I need to install TubeBuddy I'd call it "How to install TubeBuddy" That's the searchable part. However, that title doesn't COMPEL a user to act. Where something like

"How to install TubeBuddy - FREE tools to help you on YouTube!" is a lot more compelling, since you can see the value as a user. Don't forget about the compelling element. It can be in your thumb, and title. Remember CTR = Click through rate, is based on your Title, and Thumbnail.

Ikerot

Not a mod
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
Hm... I feel like that should be something we all should know, but it's might've passed by our heads haha.

I'm always bad at titling my videos, so I'm amazed that I even get traction in the first place. I do want to try it differently next time to see how well it'll go.

OP
OP
Andrew

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Hm... I feel like that should be something we all should know, but it's might've passed by our heads haha.

I'm always bad at titling my videos, so I'm amazed that I even get traction in the first place. I do want to try it differently next time to see how well it'll go.
I think we can get so busy worrying about the search [WHICH IS SUPER IMPORTANT] we forget that people need to be COMPELLED to click, and I've been working on improving that.

BraveStarrTG

Life Is A Game
Subscriber Goal
Yea, ever since I learned about keyword search I've always tried to combine that with a title that attracts attention, that compels people to wanna click through.

OP
OP
Andrew

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Yea, ever since I learned about keyword search I've always tried to combine that with a title that attracts attention, that compels people to wanna click through.
It's harder than you might think. It's a combination. I love it, and it's like solving a puzzle, when you get it right. It's so satisfying!

jhnhalley

New User
As a newbie to YT, these best-practice insights are great. They seem simply to apply but, I'm sure crafting a compelling/searchable title will be a little bit tougher.

BraveStarrTG

Life Is A Game
Subscriber Goal
Might be a numpty question but Is this where you type in the phrase into the YouTube search box or is it something else?
Not quite sure I understand your question correctly. I first do a keyword search with TubeBuddy so that when people do searches on YT my content can be found easier.

Ento

New User
TubeBuddy Pro
www.theentopodcast.co.uk
Subscriber Goal
Not quite sure I understand your question correctly. I first do a keyword search with TubeBuddy so that when people do searches on YT my content can be found easier.
Ah, cool. Thanks BraveStarrTG. I am just starting out with Tubebuddy and hadn't noticed that function :( I think I will have to go back to the beginner guides again.

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Thanks! This seems a lot like the old newspaper headline adapted for the new era. In a good newspaper head line you'd have the news couple with curiosity.

News: "How to install TubeBuddy"
Curiosity: " - FREE tools to help you on YouTube!"

Example from Fox News just this morning:

News: "El Paso Walmart shooting kills 20, injures 26"
Curisodity: "as investigators explore ‘nexus to hate crime’"

No, it doesn't sound the same, but it definitely follows the same principle. I need to incorporate this into my titles. Great tip.

Senior Notions

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy User
As a newbie to YT, these best-practice insights are great. They seem simply to apply but, I'm sure crafting a compelling/searchable title will be a little bit tougher.
Same here! Incorporating all this great advice can be a challenge o_O a good challenge though, as Andrew said like solving a puzzle.:)

OP
OP
Andrew

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Thanks! This seems a lot like the old newspaper headline adapted for the new era. In a good newspaper head line you'd have the news couple with curiosity.

News: "How to install TubeBuddy"
Curiosity: " - FREE tools to help you on YouTube!"

Example from Fox News just this morning:

News: "El Paso Walmart shooting kills 20, injures 26"
Curisodity: "as investigators explore ‘nexus to hate crime’"

No, it doesn't sound the same, but it definitely follows the same principle. I need to incorporate this into my titles. Great tip.
Exactly you can show up in search, but do you compel people to click/watch?

Ronnieleeeee

New User
TubeBuddy User
I do my best to make sure my videos are searchable with my titles, for example, I just uploaded my first travel vlog about Amsterdam and wanted to make sure it’s searchable and not too specific, so I titled it “AMSTERDAM | TRAVEL VLOG 1”

Beanie Draws

I’m in the process of editing a lot of minecraft videos I recorded earlier this year BEFORE it’s resurgence. I’m sitting here trying to think of the best way to title them because “minecraft survival episode 2” is boring, but also, no one searches “omg someone killed my cows in minecraft” I doubt. So it seems the key is to make it searchable, but also a bit clickbaity.

I think just like the thumbnail where if it’s gaming, focusing on just the cover art is boring, and you should focus on an exciting key point in the video, so too should the title... but it’s always a bit tricky.

OP
OP
Andrew

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I do my best to make sure my videos are searchable with my titles, for example, I just uploaded my first travel vlog about Amsterdam and wanted to make sure it’s searchable and not too specific, so I titled it “AMSTERDAM | TRAVEL VLOG 1”
Great for search, but why should people click? I'd also say something like "First day of travel" even more searchable :D