TubeBuddy Tips YouTube Advice from a Pro Wrestler?

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
This is a professional wrestler explaining the wrestling business, but if you listen to Al Snow's advice, you could replace WWE with YouTube and all the advice still applies. All the advice about you being the product, personal branding, making people stop flipping thew channel to watch you, and etc all applies so well to YouTube. School of hard knocks can teach you something.

WARNING: This is definitely PG-13 at best. Maybe even rated R.

View: https://youtu.be/A8tCwiOWS2U

Last edited:

BraveStarrTG

Life Is A Game
Subscriber Goal
It's true, the way Youtube works today is so much more different than it was a few years ago. But most new Youtubers still try to start channels with the notion that they can become overnight successes like some popular Youtubers have but the irony is that most popular Youtubers started at the bottom even way back then and had to work their way up the ladder to where they are today. MKBHD didn't become a hit 3 videos in, it took him years. Philip Defranco went through multiple personalities and styles on his channel before he finally got the one he is today. Took him a long time too.

I understand where they come from though. When I started my channel a little over a year ago I too was in it for the money and fame. I thought I could just make videos and be found because the games I played were popular. I thought my skills at editing would give me an edge. I thought my knowledge of computers, my knowledge of the Internet and my chatterbox personality would be an advantage on Youtube. Boy was I wrong. that may have worked a few years ago but I had no idea how Youtube worked then and I had no idea how much it had changed since even though I was always in the know-how on tech. I only had an epiphany last month when I finally understood how it all worked thanks to @Andrew explaining it to me and then me turning his explanation into an extremely dumbed down version that finally made sense. I'm a smart guy but when you're not into the knowhow of things explanations can seem as complicated as calculus but once I put it in words that sounded more like addition and subtraction I was like "wait, are you serious? it's that simple?" and thus I was Youtube reborn.

Beanie Draws

(wouldn’t say PG13, more like M/M15+) a bit like a less passionate, less sweaty Gary Vee and he makes a lot of points similar to youtube, so you’re spot on there. His view on why people do it is a bit narrow minded though. Yes, wwe is to sell tickets, but overal you want to entertain. It still makes money and sells tickets, but everything is sold, it’s HOW you sell and what you’re selling, entertainment.

even when we sell our how to’s, we gotta “sell” it entertainingly (which we could ALL improve on) and makes the difference between a boring video, and a fun video,

great post mate, very cool discovery

OP
OP
Damon

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Well, the how-you-sell part is what his other videos are about:
View: https://youtu.be/NE1aefOd2YU

WARNING: This video is totally rated R.

When a wrestler talks about selling there are two aspects: 1. the selling of tickets and merchandise, 2. selling the moves. It's fake fighting. When someone throws a punch, the guy "taking" the punch has to sell that he really took a punch.

I don't think his view narrow-minded, it's simply the reality of the world of pro wrestling. That part of what he says doesn't really apply well to what we're doing. For us it isn't about the views, subs or merch, it's the selling the moves/action. But our moves are real, we're dealing with reality.

Nothing we do it fake, but the underlying principle still applies. How many YouTubers portrait themselves as having the perfect life. I can't tell you the number of fishing channels on YouTube where they will have you believing they're catching a trophy fish with every cast. That's why if I get skunked--don't catch anything--I show it. That's no different than the lesson in the punch video above. how many hunting channel do you see where they take a perfect specimen every time? Not real.

In other words there are certain thing that we can do in and with our content that will make people disbelieve in the authenticity and genuine quality of what we do.

So overall, there is a certain level of "sell-out" that he has to accomplish to feed his family. Fortunately we don't have to do that, but many of the lessons still apply.

Last edited: