Need Advice Video planning

Senior Notions

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy User
Hey all,

We're planning a video and hope to get your advice and ideas.

We have two versions of a small kitchen appliance (Standard and Pro) that could help older adults with arthritic hands prepare healthy meals more easily.

Both are unopened so that we can do Unboxing videos. We'd like to also do a Feature Comparison video of the two versions.

So we'd have three videos all together. Does this sound like the right approach to you?

Added info: the product is mainstream and has been around so there are already YouTube videos, especially of the Standard version. But not any really that compare the two, that we found.

Thanks in advance for any advice or tips, suggestions, etc :)

BraveStarrTG

Life Is A Game
Subscriber Goal
Sounds like you already have a solid plan. My only suggestion is to make sure in the first video you let people know the second one is coming next so they can anticipate your next video and on your second video make sure to point them back to the first video so they can watch both. And I don't mean with endscreen links, I mean actually saying for them to check out the previous or next video and then promote the comparison video for them to also anticipate that one with a script saying for them to check out the individual reviews in the previous videos.

Beanie Draws

To be honest, if your audience for these videos is older people (I also get very shaky hands because I have a thing I think called “essential tremor”) I don’t really think they’d care to watch the unboxing, what do you get in an unboxing of food appliance that isn’t just the appliance, a cable you attach if it isn’t already attached, and a user manual/warranty booklet? Unless there’s a lot more ensembly, I don’t really see what use an unboxing for the product would make separately outside of an unboxing for the sake of having a video.
if I want a tv, I don’t care what comes in the box, I care about what the tv does and it’s feature.
I don’t care how a good blender is boxed, I care what the food blender actually does and how it compares to the other food blender.

it’s not like a pop culture special edition unboxing where they put a lot of effort into the boxing. It’s not phone or something like that.

I mean, you CAN do a solo unboxing video, but if I wanted to know about the product, I usually fast forward the unboxing process and if I’m out at the shops wondering what appliance to get, I want to know the comparison, I couldn’t care less about the unboxing side of it.

that’s just my perspective though and I could be wrong, maybe people are into the unboxing side of things. You can always make the videos, try them out and maybe they’ll perform, or people might not bother and they’ll watch the comparison video instead.

just some food for thought :)

OP
OP
Senior Notions

Senior Notions

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy User
Sounds like you already have a solid plan. My only suggestion is to make sure in the first video you let people know the second one is coming next so they can anticipate your next video and on your second video make sure to point them back to the first video so they can watch both. And I don't mean with endscreen links, I mean actually saying for them to check out the previous or next video and then promote the comparison video for them to also anticipate that one with a script saying for them to check out the individual reviews in the previous videos.
Thanks, I was hoping we were on the right track. And thank you for the great idea to add in a reminder to watch the other two videos in each of them. I'll do that.

Also congrats on your Star Academy Gaming channel! You have an awesome personality that really comes through on in your videos! :grinning:

To be honest, if your audience for these videos is older people (I also get very shaky hands because I have a thing I think called “essential tremor”) I don’t really think they’d care to watch the unboxing, what do you get in an unboxing of food appliance that isn’t just the appliance, a cable you attach if it isn’t already attached, and a user manual/warranty booklet? Unless there’s a lot more ensembly, I don’t really see what use an unboxing for the product would make separately outside of an unboxing for the sake of having a video.
if I want a tv, I don’t care what comes in the box, I care about what the tv does and it’s feature.
I don’t care how a good blender is boxed, I care what the food blender actually does and how it compares to the other food blender.

it’s not like a pop culture special edition unboxing where they put a lot of effort into the boxing. It’s not phone or something like that.

I mean, you CAN do a solo unboxing video, but if I wanted to know about the product, I usually fast forward the unboxing process and if I’m out at the shops wondering what appliance to get, I want to know the comparison, I couldn’t care less about the unboxing side of it.

that’s just my perspective though and I could be wrong, maybe people are into the unboxing side of things. You can always make the videos, try them out and maybe they’ll perform, or people might not bother and they’ll watch the comparison video instead.

First, I'm sorry you are dealing with health issues. I admire your talent and knowing that you create such amazing art despite dealing with essential tremor elevates my admiration for you and what you do.

In response to your thoughts on unboxing videos, I totally get where you're coming from in having little use for them. I think many people might feel the same way.

But I actually like to watch unboxings, so I kind of get that side of it, too. I also like reality TV (I know, I know :D). I think unboxing videos have a hint of "reality marketing" to them, which adds to their appeal. Kind of like, here's an ordinary person showing us what's in the box, how to set it up, and how to use it ... without a professionally created commercial skewing our reality.

Also, unboxings probably tap into the mirror neurons we're hearing so much about lately. Watching an unboxing may provide a sense of experiential information that can be added to other info like reviews and specs, etc.

The video with the most views (by a lot) on our channel is an unboxing. Whether that is due to it being a popular product, or the unboxing itself, or a combination, I'm not sure. So I think your advice to try it out and monitor how much interest any further unboxings generate is a great idea.

Thanks so much for your insight!:)

Kate's Adventures

New User
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Sounds interesting. My only additional advice (and from what you've said I think you've already thought of this on some level) is to have a look online at what questions the product's target audience are asking and especially what questions they're asking that are difficult to find an answer to currently. Is there anything you're wondering about the product that you weren't able to find out for sure before you bought it? Did someone describe how a certain component works but you'd really like to have seen it visually? If you can answer those questions and position yourself as a place that viewers can ask other questions, your video will be very valuable to them.

BraveStarrTG

Life Is A Game
Subscriber Goal
Thanks, I was hoping we were on the right track. And thank you for the great idea to add in a reminder to watch the other two videos in each of them. I'll do that.

Also congrats on your Star Academy Gaming channel! You have an awesome personality that really comes through on in your videos! :grinning:
Thanks. It's been a bit hard to make more videos this past week cause my wife went on a business trip and one of my kids got sick during this time so I lost a lot of sleep and just didn't get a chance to make the videos so now I'm a week behind plus may be a bit late this week too. But I'll catch up again.

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
To be honest, if your audience for these videos is older people . . . I don’t really think they’d care to watch the unboxing

My audience is older, and my top #3 videos were all unboxings. They are my oldest videos, circa 2014. The video quality is horrible because it was before I learned to edit, color grade, nor did I have a good camera and lenses. That was my SPS longtail unboxing and review, my Humminbird sonar unboxing and review, and my Harbor Freight boat trailer unboxing and review.

If you have an audience and you're opening a product they care about, you can do an unboxing video. However, you need to do more than "watch-me-open-a-box." It needs to be full review, assembly and try out the product in its intended environment.

Show the entire process from UPS delivery, to unboxing, to setup, to running, to initial impressions, to long term use. Turn the whole thing into a playlist.

I hate it when all someone does is open a stupid box, read a spec sheet or just sit there a yap all day long about nothing. It's always storytelling. The story is opening the widget's box, set it up, try it out, put it through heavy use, then give your conclusions. That's like every car review on Motor Trend ever. Again television already has the perfect format for this, even if you're unboxing a juicer from Panasonic.

You're helping people make a buying decision. It isn't about you and opening a stupid box. They are trying to figure if this product has any deal killing reasons not to purchase it. It's an important service and a valuable way to help people. Helping people leads to subscribers, views and everything everyone wants on YouTube.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Senior Notions

Senior Notions

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy User
Sounds interesting. My only additional advice (and from what you've said I think you've already thought of this on some level) is to have a look online at what questions the product's target audience are asking and especially what questions they're asking that are difficult to find an answer to currently. Is there anything you're wondering about the product that you weren't able to find out for sure before you bought it? Did someone describe how a certain component works but you'd really like to have seen it visually? If you can answer those questions and position yourself as a place that viewers can ask other questions, your video will be very valuable to them.
Lots of great questions, thanks! You have a great point. In the one unboxing that has done better than the other videos, there were comments about the product being wobbly. When I put it together I noticed mine was wobbly, too. So I turned it over and gave one of the nuts an extra turn and it set flat after that. I left that part in the video showing the wobble and the quick fix, so people would know if theirs was wobbly, it might be a simple fix, too.

I will pay attention for other things like that. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts! :)

Thanks. It's been a bit hard to make more videos this past week cause my wife went on a business trip and one of my kids got sick during this time so I lost a lot of sleep and just didn't get a chance to make the videos so now I'm a week behind plus may be a bit late this week too. But I'll catch up again.
Hang in, you will catch up :)

How do i increase subscriber on YouTube channel? And what is the basic tips for create your first YouTube video.
haha no answer about increasing subscribers.:D

But basic tips to create a YouTube video, First download the TubeBuddy app and connect it to your channel. Then just use your phone to take a video of yourself giving useful or entertaining information, edit out the slow parts, and upload it to YouTube. Work through the steps in TubeBuddy for each video (Getting Started with TubeBuddy). Then refine your process and content as you make more videos.

This forum is a great place for tips and advice. :grinning:

My audience is older, and my top #3 videos were all unboxings. They are my oldest videos, circa 2014. The video quality is horrible because it was before I learned to edit, color grade, nor did I have a good camera and lenses. That was my SPS longtail unboxing and review, my Humminbird sonar unboxing and review, and my Harbor Freight boat trailer unboxing and review.

If you have an audience and you're opening a product they care about, you can do an unboxing video. However, you need to do more than "watch-me-open-a-box." It needs to be full review, assembly and try out the product in its intended environment.

Show the entire process from UPS delivery, to unboxing, to setup, to running, to initial impressions, to long term use. Turn the whole thing into a playlist.

I hate it when all someone does is open a stupid box, read a spec sheet or just sit there a yap all day long about nothing. It's always storytelling. The story is opening the widget's box, set it up, try it out, put it through heavy use, then give your conclusions. That's like every car review on Motor Trend ever. Again television already has the perfect format for this, even if you're unboxing a juicer from Panasonic.

You're helping people make a buying decision. It isn't about you and opening a stupid box. They are trying to figure if this product has any deal killing reasons not to purchase it. It's an important service and a valuable way to help people. Helping people leads to subscribers, views and everything everyone wants on YouTube.
Thanks for the into and tips, Damon. I'm going to keep in mind that this is going to help people make a buying decision. I think that gives a good focus for the unboxing videos. I liked your unboxing of the boat trailer. Was the camera on your head?