YouTube Question New Creator Studio Copyright Feature

Kate's Adventures

New User
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Has anyone taken a look at this? The Copyright feature in the new Creator Studio shows cases where your content has appeared significantly in other channel's videos (a "match"). I'm not sure what the lower threshold is but in the matches showing for my channel, at least 30% of the video by the other creator was content I'd made.

It was really interesting to see the results. A couple of the cases were collabs that I'd long forgotten about but there were another couple of videos where the creator had used my content without my knowledge and I investigated further. There are 3 options next to the "Matches" results - "Move to archive" (basically store the details but take no further action), "Request video removal" (start the official process with YouTube to remove due to a copyright breach) or "Contact channel".

The "Contact channel" option is interesting, it sends a standard email to the other creator with the details of the match and also says "The channel has provided its email address in case you'd like to start a conversation", allowing them the option to contact you and discuss their use of your content. The "Request video removal" option can also allow the other creator a 7 day grace period to delete the video and not receive a strike.

What do you think of this? I love that there's an easier way to keep track of where my content is showing up and that there's more options to manage the situation than to have them receive a strike right away.

(Apologies if this is already a thread somewhere, I took a quick look but couldn't see anything relevant).

BraveStarrTG

Life Is A Game
Subscriber Goal
No, I mean I don't see the feature, just like I don't see the feature that shows who turns on the notification bell. I haven't seen any of the new features on my channel.

OP
OP
Kate's Adventures

Kate's Adventures

New User
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
It's in the new Studio available as an option on the left hand side. You need to scroll down to see all the features. Alternatively if you open up the new Studio and then add the following to the end of the web address, it should take you to it: /copyright/matches

I'm sure this is really obvious advice and there's more to your issue but just in case it's a simple fix, I thought I'd give those tips!

Attachments

BraveStarrTG

Life Is A Game
Subscriber Goal
Well, it works and it doesn't. This is what I get.

And I just figured out why I don't have that feature. Cause I don't matter to YT yet. :weary_face:

OP
OP
Kate's Adventures

Kate's Adventures

New User
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Well, it works and it doesn't. This is what I get.

View attachment 3141

And I just figured out why I don't have that feature. Cause I don't matter to YT yet. :weary_face:

View attachment 3142
Argh that drives me nuts! I was in the Partner Program and when they changed the requirements to 1000 subscribers / 4000 hours Watchtime a year, I was removed from it and I'm still waiting on requalifying. The money element of being out of the program does not bother me at all, I'd earned very little, but the way they connect it to tools and opportunities is very irritating to me.

Beanie Draws

I’ve been getting my content stolen for years. In the past i’d Just find it manually or a fan would inform me, then i’d Just issue a take down,

last time I used the new copyright tool it found a few matches , interestingly in the comments of those videos I sometimes saw people going “beanie draws did this drawing, you stole it”

I personally wouldn’t want to talk to them unless it’s a special cercumstance. It’s easier just to have the video taken down. A lot of the videos I find stolen seem to be on automated channels with all sorts of other stolen videos.

also the videos I find are sometimes sped up, looped twice, or cut at the start or end.

OP
OP
Kate's Adventures

Kate's Adventures

New User
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I’ve been getting my content stolen for years. In the past i’d Just find it manually or a fan would inform me, then i’d Just issue a take down,

last time I used the new copyright tool it found a few matches , interestingly in the comments of those videos I sometimes saw people going “beanie draws did this drawing, you stole it”

I personally wouldn’t want to talk to them unless it’s a special cercumstance. It’s easier just to have the video taken down. A lot of the videos I find stolen seem to be on automated channels with all sorts of other stolen videos.

also the videos I find are sometimes sped up, looped twice, or cut at the start or end.
That seems fair. The hits on my channel weren't so black and white to me. They are definitely a breach of copyright and not at all being used under fair use, but in one case I've decided not to take it any further based on the origins of the channel and in another case I'm hoping the "heads up" message will allow the creator to remove the video without getting a strike. They're very creative and there's other content in their videos that they clearly work hard on, but they don't seem to grasp how copyright works.