• Guest FORUM patch notes JUNE! Click Here to learn more!

Seeking Advice View time (Average)

Techmoto

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy User
I'm intrigued by watch time (slightly obsessed if I'm honest).

I just uploaded an awesome video of a live link with the International Space station to see if really exciting content would keep peoples attention. Although I have only just uploaded it - those that have watched it only stayed for an average of 2 minutes. This seems to be a theme with a lot of videos.

My question is simple really - is there an average concentration span of the average YT user? Do people just click through....... Intrigued.

Tito Tim

TubeBuddy User
For entertaining or engaging content I easily watch 30 minute and 2 hour videos. For most vloggers (like me) I max out at 3 or 4 minutes, unless they are on a really good topic. But I generally watch professionally produced content on YT - it is just my TV.

A live stream from the space station could be pretty dull, depending on what is going on from one minute to the other. A collection of specific clips would probably be more engaging.

Reactions: Techmoto

Beanie Draws

I just uploaded an awesome video of a live link with the International Space station to see if really exciting content would keep peoples attention. Although I have only just uploaded it - those that have watched it only stayed for an average of 2 minutes. This seems to be a theme with a lot of videos.

My question is simple really - is there an average concentration span of the average YT user? Do people just click through....... Intrigued.
Yeah generally it’s like 2-3 mins seems to be the average (for me anyway) and I average between 10-30% retention.

a few at TubeBuddy have give. Recommendations that if you see a spot in the video where there’s significant watch time, that you try placing an info card I. There that will show up “before people get bored” unfortunately you can’t really change a video once you’ve put it out, but if it’s a consistent thing among your videos, you should try doing something at that point each time, that’s exciting and differant.

I’ve heard some folks say (maybe even me at one point) that the whole video doesn’t always matter, you have to focus on every 15-30 seconds, because each of those 15-30mseconds have to keep your viewer watching. Then you gotta make those 15-30 seconds exciting for however long the video needs to be.

the “average” retention most say to aim for is 50%. Naturally you want 100% but 50% is “successful average” but daniel batel has been successful with an average of 30%, and I get about 10-20% average, and 30% when i’m Doing really well.

very cool topic of conversation. And is the REAL analytic that brings growth :)

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com

What's the AVD graph look like, also how long was the video?