Channel Review Becoming a better gaming channel! Would love to hear feedback and constructive criticism.

XE Games

New User
TubeBuddy Pro
User name: XE Games
Title of thread: Becoming a better gaming channel. Would love to hear feedback and constructive criticism.
Self review: Hello! Methon and I would greatly appreciate if you would give us a feed back for our gaming channel. Our audience retention is around 20-25%. From what we heard it should be over 50%. We don't know what are we doing wrong and why are people leaving from our videos. We are under impression that our views are doing well, but it seems people don't seem eager to subscribe. Maybe it's too soon to tell? Maybe it's SEO issue? When it comes to our equipment and hardware: We understand that Methon would probably need a better microphone. Our videos are filmed on my computer. First 2 videos on an older one so there are hick-ups during the footage. I know... bad. I did upgrade my hardware. We would love to hear any feedback possible to be able to grow better and stronger. Thank you in advance.
Link to video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ8c1uCr1qo&t=1s

Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/21452/

BraveStarrTG

Life Is A Game
Subscriber Goal
I'm also a gamer with a gaming channel plus I am an avid YT viewer. Half the channel I watch are gaming channels so I have a basic understanding of what makes a good gaming channel and let me tell you off the bat, it's not easy. This is gonna be a long post.

The gaming channel genre is extremely saturated. It takes time to build an audience and stand out even when you play the most popular games at the moment. So my first advice is to have patience and accept that it takes time. Forget about the subs and the views, focus on making great content and focus on making it as consistently as possible. From what I have read it seems an average of 2 to 3 videos a week is the sweet spot for most channels. Take your time and enjoy the process of making the videos and learning the tips and tricks to make your channel grow.

Now, I went through your channel to see how it was going so far. I'll start by pointing out the good things I see and then I'll comment on things you may wanna consider improving.

First, as a gaming Youtuber who is doing gameplay videos, you need to have a personality to attract people to your videos. From what I can see your co-player and you both have a great personality so that's a plus though I would suggest you aim some of the commenting as if you were speaking to your audience. Your audience needs to feel part of the gameplay, they need to feel like you are speaking to them through your gameplay. This draws people into your style and will get them to come back for more.

Your intro is pretty good. It's short and sweet and that's good for a beginner. You don't want to lose your audience because the intro is too long.

Your outro endscreen is also pretty good making sure people can subscribe to your channel and showing other videos for them to check out. So far this is good.

Your thumbnails are also really good though I would suggest adding a little more description to them. The thumbnail is the first thing viewers see so adding a bit more text to show what the video is about can help drive more views.

OK, now I'm gonna give you some constructive criticism if you don't mind. Some of it may be based on my own personal preferences but I'm sure it's mostly generic for most channels and viewers.

First, you're new to YouTube so you have to accept that at this moment you are competing against a huge number of competitors including a lot of new channels just like yours which means you are fighting for attention. The trick is to figure out your ideal audience and your channel value proposition. You channel value proposition should be the goal of your videos, why do you make them, what's the purpose of your videos. To entertain, to show people how to play the game, etc. Figure out your channel value proposition and this will lead to your ideal audience. Viewers who will want to watch your videos based on your value proposition. Wise words were once said to me "Your ideal audience is not your subscriber".

This is gonna take time. You have to build your audience and to do that you have to get noticed. Using TubeBuddy's keyword search to figure out what people are looking for and thus what keywords to use should be your first step when starting a new video. Work on your video SEO and make improvements and you go along. Watch your video's analytics and see what's working and keep using that and look at what's not working and improve on that.

Second, keep making videos. Your channel has very few videos at the moment so you don't have a lot of videos to get more attention. Just keep pumping them out and give it time get noticed.

Third, your channel art looks great but it doesn't say much about your channel. What kind of gaming videos do you make, how often do you upload, that sort of stuff.

I would also recommend focusing on one game for longer periods of time. Allow people to see more gameplay of the same game so that they can be drawn back to your channel to see more. make them into playlists. Also, some low background music can help gameplay that has a lot of silence between actions plus it can add to your channel branding to have music that connects to your channel. Just have it loud enough to be heard but not so loud that it disrupts the gameplay sounds.

Another issue is the length of your videos. Some are actually pretty long and these days keeping people watching a 25-minute gameplay video is tough if the video has a lot of slow, boring gameplay in it. As a new Youtuber short will probably be your best bet with your gameplay.

I noticed one of your video had a lot of blurred parts. I can understand because I saw what kind of game it was. Well, considering that was an adult type of game with foul language and NSFW scenes it's definitely gonna keep Youtube from suggesting your video let alone monetize it once you reach monetization. I'm not saying to steer clear of cursing and stuff but this will definitely hurt you videos search with the algorithm. Also blurring too much of the gameplay will make people not want to watch since they don't know what's going on. You may wanna consider targeted blurring to block the parts you don't want exposed while allowing the rest of the screen to be seen.

And the last thing would be the outro. While your endscreen is good you should make sure to let people know they've made it to the end and encourage them to subscribe and watch more of your videos. The endscreen would suddenly appear during the gameplay and made it seem as if I was missing something at the end. Maybe fading the beginning of the video in and fading the gameplay out just because the endscreen would be helpful

Now, like I said some of this is based on my personal take on how I see gaming channels but I did my best to make it generic opinions. Just don't give up. Keep making those video and have patience. Watch your analytics and learn what works and what doesn't and go from there.

OP
OP
XE Games

XE Games

New User
TubeBuddy Pro
I'm also a gamer with a gaming channel plus I am an avid YT viewer. Half the channel I watch are gaming channels so I have a basic understanding of what makes a good gaming channel and let me tell you off the bat, it's not easy. This is gonna be a long post.

The gaming channel genre is extremely saturated. It takes time to build an audience and stand out even when you play the most popular games at the moment. So my first advice is to have patience and accept that it takes time. Forget about the subs and the views, focus on making great content and focus on making it as consistently as possible. From what I have read it seems an average of 2 to 3 videos a week is the sweet spot for most channels. Take your time and enjoy the process of making the videos and learning the tips and tricks to make your channel grow.

Now, I went through your channel to see how it was going so far. I'll start by pointing out the good things I see and then I'll comment on things you may wanna consider improving.

First, as a gaming Youtuber who is doing gameplay videos, you need to have a personality to attract people to your videos. From what I can see your co-player and you both have a great personality so that's a plus though I would suggest you aim some of the commenting as if you were speaking to your audience. Your audience needs to feel part of the gameplay, they need to feel like you are speaking to them through your gameplay. This draws people into your style and will get them to come back for more.

Your intro is pretty good. It's short and sweet and that's good for a beginner. You don't want to lose your audience because the intro is too long.

Your outro endscreen is also pretty good making sure people can subscribe to your channel and showing other videos for them to check out. So far this is good.

Your thumbnails are also really good though I would suggest adding a little more description to them. The thumbnail is the first thing viewers see so adding a bit more text to show what the video is about can help drive more views.

OK, now I'm gonna give you some constructive criticism if you don't mind. Some of it may be based on my own personal preferences but I'm sure it's mostly generic for most channels and viewers.

First, you're new to YouTube so you have to accept that at this moment you are competing against a huge number of competitors including a lot of new channels just like yours which means you are fighting for attention. The trick is to figure out your ideal audience and your channel value proposition. You channel value proposition should be the goal of your videos, why do you make them, what's the purpose of your videos. To entertain, to show people how to play the game, etc. Figure out your channel value proposition and this will lead to your ideal audience. Viewers who will want to watch your videos based on your value proposition. Wise words were once said to me "Your ideal audience is not your subscriber".

This is gonna take time. You have to build your audience and to do that you have to get noticed. Using TubeBuddy's keyword search to figure out what people are looking for and thus what keywords to use should be your first step when starting a new video. Work on your video SEO and make improvements and you go along. Watch your video's analytics and see what's working and keep using that and look at what's not working and improve on that.

Second, keep making videos. Your channel has very few videos at the moment so you don't have a lot of videos to get more attention. Just keep pumping them out and give it time get noticed.

Third, your channel art looks great but it doesn't say much about your channel. What kind of gaming videos do you make, how often do you upload, that sort of stuff.

I would also recommend focusing on one game for longer periods of time. Allow people to see more gameplay of the same game so that they can be drawn back to your channel to see more. make them into playlists. Also, some low background music can help gameplay that has a lot of silence between actions plus it can add to your channel branding to have music that connects to your channel. Just have it loud enough to be heard but not so loud that it disrupts the gameplay sounds.

Another issue is the length of your videos. Some are actually pretty long and these days keeping people watching a 25-minute gameplay video is tough if the video has a lot of slow, boring gameplay in it. As a new Youtuber short will probably be your best bet with your gameplay.

I noticed one of your video had a lot of blurred parts. I can understand because I saw what kind of game it was. Well, considering that was an adult type of game with foul language and NSFW scenes it's definitely gonna keep Youtube from suggesting your video let alone monetize it once you reach monetization. I'm not saying to steer clear of cursing and stuff but this will definitely hurt you videos search with the algorithm. Also blurring too much of the gameplay will make people not want to watch since they don't know what's going on. You may wanna consider targeted blurring to block the parts you don't want exposed while allowing the rest of the screen to be seen.

And the last thing would be the outro. While your endscreen is good you should make sure to let people know they've made it to the end and encourage them to subscribe and watch more of your videos. The endscreen would suddenly appear during the gameplay and made it seem as if I was missing something at the end. Maybe fading the beginning of the video in and fading the gameplay out just because the endscreen would be helpful

Now, like I said some of this is based on my personal take on how I see gaming channels but I did my best to make it generic opinions. Just don't give up. Keep making those video and have patience. Watch your analytics and learn what works and what doesn't and go from there.
Thank you for your time to check out our channel and to write a reply. :) We will implement your suggestions to our future content. We agree with most if not all. All said is very solid advice. :) It's awesome to get an objective opinion because friends sometimes might feel afraid to say something. Thanks for encouragement and support! -HUGS TIGHT- :heart::kissing_heart::yum

BraveStarrTG

Life Is A Game
Subscriber Goal
@XE Games We're here to help as best as we can and sometimes that help can be words you may not want to hear but should be willing to. Constructive criticism is often good.

KroniclePlayz

New User
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
My opinion, your video was good but I consider doing a Call To Action (which means you call people to subscribe) but for a reason for that person to subscribe, like "If you want to see Survival Series and more then consider subscribing and clicking the bell" make people think about it and not saying "subscribe" there's no reason that person will subscribe to you.

Another thing is people have trouble with SEO and there's a website and i'll link it right here : https://rapidtags.io/generator/
It's a website that gives you tags from your video title, pretty neat.

Also just keep posting and promote your videos across the web, use FaceBook Groups like search up Conan Exiles on FaceBook and go to groups and most game groups allow video promotion, you post that video but you have to be apart of the community as well don't link dump. Your showing people that love the game a video they would enjoy and they'll most likely to watch the video! Also don't go into the YouTube ones saying "Sub4Sub or Sub for Sub" Sub for Sub hurts your channel tremendously!

Hope this helped out!