YouTube News Watch time percentage

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
As I understand it's percentage of the video the people on average. In other words if you had a 10 minute video and people watched 5 minutes of that on average, you'd have 50 percent watch time. Someone correct me if I'm off.

OP
OP
Ronnieleeeee

Ronnieleeeee

New User
TubeBuddy User
As I understand it's percentage of the video the people on average. In other words if you had a 10 minute video and people watched 5 minutes of that on average, you'd have 50 percent watch time. Someone correct me if I'm off.
Ohhhh okay now that makes sense! Thank you!

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Spot on. You want to hit 50% or higher when it comes to this. If it's lower people are leaving the content to early.

OP
OP
Ronnieleeeee

Ronnieleeeee

New User
TubeBuddy User
Spot on. You want to hit 50% or higher when it comes to this. If it's lower people are leaving the content to early.
Oh okay, my last video is at 46%, video before that is at 24% which is discouraging. Just can’t give up and gotta keep trying to improve I guess!

Ater

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Oh okay, my last video is at 46%, video before that is at 24% which is discouraging. Just can’t give up and gotta keep trying to improve I guess!
You can use this information to try to improve your videos. You can go to the analytics for a specific video, then you will find a audience retention graph for that video which allows you to see when your viewers drop of. Let's say you have a audience retention of 30% and it shows bigger drops at 3 min and 30 seconds and then another big drop at 9 min and 30 seconds, then you can watch your video and try to understand why the audience is dropping of at does times. Maybe at 3 min 30 seconds you are going of topic or maybe you do a far longer explanation then needed explaining something for a minute that could have been said in 10 seconds. At 9 min 30 seconds you realize that the movie is actually over, the viewer has already gotten the whole story and now you are just doing a 45 second long outro talking about that the video is over, thanking the viewer for watching, talking about what's up with your channel in the future.

By learning from this you try to do less unnecessary talk and edit out parts where you go off topic of explain something for to long and make a much shorter 10 seconds outro compared to the old 45 seconds and all of a sudden your next video get a audience retention of 40% instead of 30%. And then of course you go back and study your new video, how can I improve on that video so that I reach 43% with the next video?

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
You can use this information to try to improve your videos. You can go to the analytics for a specific video, then you will find a audience retention graph for that video which allows you to see when your viewers drop of. Let's say you have a audience retention of 30% and it shows bigger drops at 3 min and 30 seconds and then another big drop at 9 min and 30 seconds, then you can watch your video and try to understand why the audience is dropping of at does times. Maybe at 3 min 30 seconds you are going of topic or maybe you do a far longer explanation then needed explaining something for a minute that could have been said in 10 seconds. At 9 min 30 seconds you realize that the movie is actually over, the viewer has already gotten the whole story and now you are just doing a 45 second long outro talking about that the video is over, thanking the viewer for watching, talking about what's up with your channel in the future.

By learning from this you try to do less unnecessary talk and edit out parts where you go off topic of explain something for to long and make a much shorter 10 seconds outro compared to the old 45 seconds and all of a sudden your next video get a audience retention of 40% instead of 30%. And then of course you go back and study your new video, how can I improve on that video so that I reach 43% with the next video?
This is a great way to look at it, and on TB we have a video that covers how you can use this data to improve :D

Beanie Draws

In the TubeBuddy stream today with Daniel Batel he mentioned he averages about 30% which is lower than most suggest (as Andrew points out) but it was refreshing for me as I only get 20-30 on good videos and average around 10% watch time. Daniel’s grown quite a lot and streamed for TubeBuddy so if he can grow with 30%, there’s still hope for me and my 20%