• Guest FORUM patch notes JUNE! Click Here to learn more!

Question Here Today, Gone Tomorrow Rankings?

Ken of N9000+

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy Pro
I've been using TubeBuddy for a while now and thanks to it, I've been making sure that my tags are not just relevant, but also worded better for my videos and that at least one of them ranks. After I upload a video and do my tagging with TubeBuddy, I can see that several of my keywords rank the very same day. The rankings are usually in the single and double digits, nothing beyond 25. However, the very next day, even after having done everything properly, the majority if not all of those keywords that originally ranked, suddenly have no rank. To make matters worse, it stays that way. This doesn't make sense to me. I mean, I know ranking can change everyday, but this is drastic. What TubeBuddy is basically telling me is that my rankings are here today, gone tomorrow. I don't understand how they lose rank so soon. Can someone explain?

Last edited:

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
I've been using TubeBuddy for a while now and thanks to it, I've been making sure that my tags are not just relevant, but also worded better for my videos and that at least one of them ranks. After I upload a video and do my tagging with TubeBuddy, I can see that several of my keywords rank the very same day. The rankings are usually in the single and double digits, nothing beyond 25. However, the very next day, even after having done everything properly, the majority if not all of those keywords that originally ranked, suddenly have no rank. To make matters worse, it stays that way. This doesn't make sense to me. I mean, I know ranking can change everyday, but this is drastic. What TubeBuddy is basically telling me is that my rankings are here today, gone tomorrow. I don't understand how they lose rank so soon. Can someone explain?
Videos get a "New" Tag, so it's YouTube ranking you higher since it's the most relevant tags at the moment. However, YT may notice you aren't getting the views/ watchtime required to keep you high in the rankings. SO while you may be able to rank early on, it could be the New tag influencing that higher.

OP
OP
Ken of N9000+

Ken of N9000+

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Thank you for the explanation, Andrew. It just sucks to see a sudden change without knowing why, especially after a lot of hard work and doing things by the book. I honestly don’t know what else to do but to keep at it.

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Thank you for the explanation, Andrew. It just sucks to see a sudden change without knowing why, especially after a lot of hard work and doing things by the book. I honestly don’t know what else to do but to keep at it.
As I said most likely the result of the new tag. :/

OP
OP
Ken of N9000+

Ken of N9000+

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy Pro
I also noticed differences between my rankings on the extension and the mobile app, even though they are the same keywords. I’m guessing that’s because of what @Jim said about the mobile app using the old TubeBuddy OS.

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
I also noticed differences between my rankings on the extension and the mobile app, even though they are the same keywords. I’m guessing that’s because of what @Jim said about the mobile app using the old TubeBuddy OS.
Best way to test rankings is in a new incognito window. Are your results set to incognito results or for you results for your tags?

OP
OP
Ken of N9000+

Ken of N9000+

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Best way to test rankings is in a new incognito window. Are your results set to incognito results or for you results for your tags?
I think it’s the default results for my channel because I never heard of incognito results, let along know how to do it. Regardless, I was told by someone, “These tools will display the trendy tags based on their best search. However it may be for short term, so you also have to do your own keyword research so the video can rank for longer term. Not always rely on technological suggestions.” Is this true about TubeBuddy? It’s only giving me “short term” keywords? I didn’t even know that there was such a thing. I mean, according to some of those that I’ve talked to about this, keywords/tags must be researched and “long term,” whatever the latter means, before applying them. That doesn’t make sense to me because the point of programs like TubeBuddy is to help you with tags/keywords by reducing the work. However, it apparently only gives you “short term” in-there-here-and-now keywords/tags. A person supposedly has to do MORE work and research outside of it, which in my opinion defeats the purpose of the program.

• Angry
Reactions: Damon

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
Na, dude. You need to crank out 500 to 1,000 videos on your channel, then we can talk about long-term views and keywords. Everything you're doing is short term because you've only been making videos on your channel for three years. By definition that is short term. You haven't built a long term tag list and playlist.

Starting to get sick of people blaming TubeBuddy when they haven't put the time in.

Not only 500-1,000 videos but that number of videos all need to be optimized via thumbnails, titles, description and tags. Let that body of content marinate in the algorithm for about 5 years and you'll know what long term result you'll have. Some other YouTuber telling you about long term or short term keywords means nothing. Gather your own data, and make adjustments based doing the "right things over a very long period of time.

There are going to be ups and down in your content, subscribers, views and watch times. It's the natural flow of the universe. It's just like the tide of the beach. There is a high tide and a low tide. A river rises and floods amid spring to fertilize the farmlands. It drains amid summer to let the crops grow. It is a natural cycle. There is a time and a season for everything.

For every inhale you must exhale. For every exhale you must inhale or else you'll die. The same is true for a YouTube channel. The full moon comes. The new moon vanishes. That's how it's meant to be.

You have to learn those cycles as they pertain to your channel, brand and content. That will determine what you should do. TubeBuddy is set up to help you accurately identify these ebbs and flows so you can make more informed decisions about your channel for the future.

This is not to mention that you have clearly ignored the Trending and Historical tabs on the keywords explorer. They show you exactly how a keywords performs over long periods of time. Not to mention that the whole point of the weighted keywords is to show how your channel would stack up if you chose to target that keywords.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrew

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
I think it’s the default results for my channel because I never heard of incognito results, let along know how to do it.
Here's how to do this:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDrgXf1qvF8

Regardless, I was told by someone, “These tools will display the trendy tags based on their best search. However it may be for short term, so you also have to do your own keyword research so the video can rank for longer term. Not always rely on technological suggestions.” Is this true about TubeBuddy? It’s only giving me “short term” keywords?
Keywords perform based on watchtime, engagement, RELEVANCY, and a lot of other metrics compared to other content in the niche. If you are doing reviews on movies there is CONSTANT competition meaning that you are constantly fighting for relevancy. That's not us here at TubeBuddy, but the nature of how youtube tries to serve people content.

I mean, according to some of those that I’ve talked to about this, keywords/tags must be researched and “long term,” whatever the latter means, before applying them.
There are no long term and short term keywords. They are just keywords, you might be in a more competitive niche, which means that's where having a different angle can come in. If there is a lot of completion for relevancy, you will have to have high amounts of watch-time, engagement, etc. Based on what your post is about, I'd say you rank high with the new tag, so YT is actively trying to serve your content, but if you're not maintaining those rankings, it might be that there are other of pieces getting more watch-time than yours. That doesn't mean your content is bad, just someone else is performing better in what YT cares about.

That doesn’t make sense to me because the point of programs like TubeBuddy is to help you with tags/keywords by reducing the work. However, it apparently only gives you “short term” in-there-here-and-now keywords/tags. A person supposedly has to do MORE work and research outside of it, which in my opinion defeats the purpose of the program.
We do help you do research, but TubeBuddy doesn't tell you to make any kind of content. If you make content in a niche that's competitive we will tell you that, what people are searching for, etc. HOWEVER, it's not giving you "short-term" keywords as you're saying it's just giving you the data. WE have TONS of guides that help you better understand TB, and they are all out there. If you have questions please let me know, and we'll help you.

Reactions: Ken of N9000+
OP
OP
Ken of N9000+

Ken of N9000+

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Damon, that was not only very informative and helpful, but beautifully said. I never blamed TubeBuddy for anything, and I was just looking for more answers. Ultimately, I was being told by others, “don’t rely on TubeBuddy” and all kinds of advice along those lines that would have given me extra unnecessary work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Damon
OP
OP
Ken of N9000+

Ken of N9000+

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Thank you for your help, Andrew. I really appreciate it. Just to clarify, as I basically said to Damon, I’m not attacking TubeBuddy or personally saying those comments myself. I’m quoting and relaying what others have said when I sought their advice and/or personal experiences. I love TubeBuddy and I’m still learning it, hence me bringing this issue to TubeBuddy and double checking/questioning. Obviously, seeking outside advice instead of answers from the source was a bad idea.

Last edited:

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Thank you for your help. Andrew. I really appreciate it. Just to clarify, as I basically said to Damon, I’m not attacking TubeBuddy or personally saying those negative comments myself. I’m just quoting and relaying what others have said when I sought their advice and/or personal experiences. I love TubeBuddy and I’m still learning it, hence me bringing this issue to TubeBuddy and double checking/questioning. Obviously, seeking outside advice instead of answers from the actual source was a bad idea. I apologize.
I think it's important to remember we want to help you here at TubeBuddy, and we are always here to help.

Reactions: Ken of N9000+