• Guest FORUM patch notes JUNE! Click Here to learn more!

Suggested Recommended Tags only showing a few LOW scores. WHY?

The Jungle Explorer

Newbie Member
So, I know this is a new feature, and maybe they are still refining it, but I was wondering if what I am seeing is right. Underneath the "Tag Tools" there is another box called "Recommended Tags ". It has a bunch of tags related to the video. In my case there a few scores that show on about 6 to 10 tags. Most of the scores are all below 10, which is pretty much useless. I went to several of my videos and looked at tis area and it is always the same, only a few scores and all extremely low. I click on some of the tags that had no scores next to them and it opens it up in tag explorer and shows a score. After doing that, that tag then showed a score in the Recommended Tags box.

What is the use or purpose of this area? Is it working right? Why does it so few scores and why are they always the lowest scoring tags? Here is a screenshot of what I am seeing.

Attachments

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
So, I know this is a new feature, and maybe they are still refining it, but I was wondering if what I am seeing is right. Underneath the "Tag Tools" there is another box called "Recommended Tags ". It has a bunch of tags related to the video. In my case there a few scores that show on about 6 to 10 tags. Most of the scores are all below 10, which is pretty much useless. I went to several of my videos and looked at tis area and it is always the same, only a few scores and all extremely low. I click on some of the tags that had no scores next to them and it opens it up in tag explorer and shows a score. After doing that, that tag then showed a score in the Recommended Tags box.

What is the use or purpose of this area? Is it working right? Why does it so few scores and why are they always the lowest scoring tags? Here is a screenshot of what I am seeing.

View attachment 3009
This is all dependent of the title of the video, and is based on your weighted score of that, so these are general tags, so they will have a harder time ranking. What is your title?

OP
OP
The Jungle Explorer

The Jungle Explorer

Newbie Member
This is all dependent of the title of the video, and is based on your weighted score of that, so these are general tags, so they will have a harder time ranking. What is your title?
As said in my OP, "I went to several of my videos and they are all about the same. My titles are all keyword related to the video. The keywords in the title are repeated in the description and the tags.

OP
OP
The Jungle Explorer

The Jungle Explorer

Newbie Member
I have over a 160 videos in many categories. My Titles are very specific and optimized for each video. All are between 70 and 90 characters long. Here are some samples. But as I have said, it does not matter which video I click on, I get a lot of Recommendation Tags, but only a few show scores, and all of them low.

1. Campark T30 HD Wildlife Trail Game Camera. One month of Testing, Photos and Videos.
  2. Rode VideoMicro On-Camera Microphone TESTING. How good is it in high winds?
  3. $129 BOBLOV Digital Night Vision Monocular/Video Recorder. Can it be any good?
  4. How To DIY: Craftsman LT1000 Lawn Mower. Deck Removal and Pulley Replacement.
  5. Fishing for world record trophy Texas Rio Grand Cichlids. World Record Caught and RELEASED!
  6. Do Deer Lick Blocks Really WORK? Which is best? Apple, Acorn, Sugar beet, or Food block?
  7. REVIEW: Caidrox Touchscreen Mirror Car Camera system. Front & Rearview. Installation and testing!

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
I have over a 160 videos in many categories. My Titles are very specific and optimized for each video. All are between 70 and 90 characters long. Here are some samples. But as I have said, it does not matter which video I click on, I get a lot of Recommendation Tags, but only a few show scores, and all of them low.

1. Campark T30 HD Wildlife Trail Game Camera. One month of Testing, Photos and Videos.
  2. Rode VideoMicro On-Camera Microphone TESTING. How good is it in high winds?
  3. $129 BOBLOV Digital Night Vision Monocular/Video Recorder. Can it be any good?
  4. How To DIY: Craftsman LT1000 Lawn Mower. Deck Removal and Pulley Replacement.
  5. Fishing for world record trophy Texas Rio Grand Cichlids. World Record Caught and RELEASED!
  6. Do Deer Lick Blocks Really WORK? Which is best? Apple, Acorn, Sugar beet, or Food block?
  7. REVIEW: Caidrox Touchscreen Mirror Car Camera system. Front & Rearview. Installation and testing!
The video title of the screenshot from early with the rode mic can you link that?

OP
OP
The Jungle Explorer

The Jungle Explorer

Newbie Member
Not sure what your goal is since in focusing in on one specific video when I am talking about something that is occurring on all of my videos, but whatever.
Just seems like what I am saying is being intentionally ignored.

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Not sure what your goal is since in focusing in on one specific video when I am talking about something that is occurring on all of my videos, but whatever.
Just seems like what I am saying is being intentionally ignored.
I'm not trying to intentionally ignore you :eek: It's more so, I can understand why you are getting the scores you are getting.

Vlogging mic review for example is generic, so it's giving you a low score, but the more specific you get the higher score you'll get.

Here is the title you want:

Rode VideoMicro On-Camera Microphone TESTING. How good is it in high winds?

So the more specific the title like this, should be getting you more specific keywords. That's why I wanted to see that.

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
I'm not trying to intentionally ignore you :eek: It's more so, I can understand why you are getting the scores you are getting.

Vlogging mic review for example is generic, so it's giving you a low score, but the more specific you get the higher score you'll get.

So the more specific the title like this, should be getting you more specific keywords. That's why I wanted to see that.
I'll add more to this. I've fixed your sub button on the forum, before I couldn't see your channel.

I'm noticing a few things that worry me and can get your channel banned.

For example:

Additional search phrases.png

This can be considered metadata stuffing which is against YT TOS: "Placing excessive tags in the video description (“tag stuffing”) rather than placing them as tags upon upload."

Source: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2801973?hl=en

We do try to pull from video descriptions too, so do you add this after the tags? I'm just trying to figure it out.

I hope you understand.

OP
OP
The Jungle Explorer

The Jungle Explorer

Newbie Member
I'll add more to this. I've fixed your sub button on the forum, before I couldn't see your channel.

I'm noticing a few things that worry me and can get your channel banned.

For example:

View attachment 3024

This can be considered metadata stuffing which is against YT TOS: "Placing excessive tags in the video description (“tag stuffing”) rather than placing them as tags upon upload."

Source: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2801973?hl=en

We do try to pull from video descriptions too, so do you add this after the tags? I'm just trying to figure it out.

I hope you understand.

Thanks for the heads up. I was not aware of this restriction. I interpreted it to mean people that place unrelated tags in their description. All my tags are specifically related to the video. All the tags you saw came from my research in Tubebuddy Tag Explorer. Tag Explorer keeps a running count of each tag I research for a video. I just copy these tags over to the description area of my video. They are just variations of the same tags that are in the tag area of the video. I was not aware that doing this violated any rules since youtube wants you to repeat the tags in the description area that are used in the tag area. Guess I will delete them if they are.

Okay, so now back on track. As I have said multiple time, My Titles is very "SPECIFIC". But even so, the Recommendation Tags are either Low rated or in some cases not even related to my video.

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Thanks for the heads up. I was not aware of this restriction. I interpreted it to mean people that place unrelated tags in their description. All my tags are specifically related to the video. All the tags you saw came from my research in Tubebuddy Tag Explorer. Tag Explorer keeps a running count of each tag I research for a video. I just copy these tags over to the description area of my video. They are just variations of the same tags that are in the tag area of the video. I was not aware that doing this violated any rules since youtube wants you to repeat the tags in the description area that are used in the tag area. Guess I will delete them if they are.

Okay, so now back on track. As I have said multiple time, My Titles is very "SPECIFIC". But even so, the Recommendation Tags are either Low rated or in some cases not even related to my video.
Now that I have all this info I can send to our dev team. Also they want keywords in your descriptions, but to be worded organically as sentences :)

OP
OP
The Jungle Explorer

The Jungle Explorer

Newbie Member
Now that I have all this info I can send to our dev team. Also they want keywords in your descriptions, but to be worded organically as sentences :)

Happy to help. I think it is a great idea. It sure would be useful if it could pick at least a couple of decent tags. It takes a lot of work in Tag Explorer to stumble on good tags.