Channel Review Im new to YouTube and im here to learn, most of all I want good honest feedback. Thank you

EmzChad

New User
TubeBuddy User
www.reallysimplerecipes.co.uk
Subscriber Goal
User name: EmzChad
Title of thread: Im new to YouTube and im here to learn, most of all I want good honest feedback. Thank you
Self review: Hi Everyone, I would say that I come across very natural and bubbly. I would say that I am very informative and clear with my instructions on what to do. I do wonder if I need to make it pop more? Make it stand out?
Link to video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1e1kwUNitQ

Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/20945/post-56011

BraveStarrTG

Life Is A Game
Subscriber Goal
If there's one thing I've always been told about being a Youtuber is that there is nothing wrong with adding, as you put it, a little pop so long as you are still being you. In other words, don't try to be someone else, be you. As you make more videos you gain more experience, you become more comfortable explaining your recipes, your commentary improves and your personality will shine through.

Perhaps you can experiment with close-ups of the steps such as measuring the ingredients, mixing them and such. Being able to see what the process looks like up close helps viewers feel more comfortable knowing they are following it correctly if their product looks like yours throughout the steps.

Ikerot

Not a mod
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
Hey @EmzChad! Just dropping by to check out your video :D

While watching this, I felt like this video was missing something. After I finished, I went back to your first video because I've seen that one before. Then I realize that this video feels "stagnant" compared to the first video where you had a cameraman recording. It's most likely because I liked the camera movement and the different shots compared to this video where it's in the same position for the rest of the video.

Are you using a tripod, by any chance? Weird question when I think about it, but I know some people don't and they just stack books or any other objects.

What I enjoyed about this video is that you give more of an explanation compared to the energy ball video (I was thinking about why is it called an 'energy ball'? What is in those ingredients that give you energy?). What I feel could've made this video better are more close up shots. B-rolls of the camera going through the ingredients. Overall, I just want a closer look because food is a great opportunity to get your camera really close and entice viewers even if they're simple xD (almost similar to what you did with the overnight oatmeal when you showed a picture of the result)

Overall, I thought you were clear with the instructions and I feel like I could make this (which is great). I've never tried oat milk before, but as a person who's lactose intolerant, I'd love to give the recipe a try. Hope this helps :)

OP
OP
EmzChad

EmzChad

New User
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Hey @EmzChad! Just dropping by to check out your video :D

While watching this, I felt like this video was missing something. After I finished, I went back to your first video because I've seen that one before. Then I realize that this video feels "stagnant" compared to the first video where you had a cameraman recording. It's most likely because I liked the camera movement and the different shots compared to this video where it's in the same position for the rest of the video.

Are you using a tripod, by any chance? Weird question when I think about it, but I know some people don't and they just stack books or any other objects.

What I enjoyed about this video is that you give more of an explanation compared to the energy ball video (I was thinking about why is it called an 'energy ball'? What is in those ingredients that give you energy?). What I feel could've made this video better are more close up shots. B-rolls of the camera going through the ingredients. Overall, I just want a closer look because food is a great opportunity to get your camera really close and entice viewers even if they're simple xD (almost similar to what you did with the overnight oatmeal when you showed a picture of the result)

Overall, I thought you were clear with the instructions and I feel like I could make this (which is great). I've never tried oat milk before, but as a person who's lactose intolerant, I'd love to give the recipe a try. Hope this helps :)
Thank you @Ikerot for your honest feedback, I love it. I am in agreement with you. I think the quality of the energy ball video is a lot better and more engaging. What did you think about the music in the video? Thank you for pointing out that I didnt explain what energy balls are, that is something I will look at in future videos. Thanks again, it means a lot.

Stanley Orchard

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
You have a natural talent for presentation... you went through that entire video with very little dead air and you were very concise and informative with your instructions, and as a simple instructional video this video is very accomplished.
But this is YouTube and you are competing for views. That doesn't mean you need to change a thing, your videos will do just fine as they are. If you want to improve your YouTube performance though, I would suggest a few minor edits:
1. Text overlays (writing descriptions of ingredients, preparation notes etc on the screen) would do a lot to improve the 'pop' of your video as well as provide a little additional info for viewers who are maybe preparing the recipes along with the video.
2. Cuts. This one sounds far scarier than it is, but simply editing your video by cutting out moments of dead air... even if its just a second... kinda gives the viewer the feeling that you have trimmed all the fat and are leaving them with only the meat of the video. YouTube society wants their info quick and to the point, viewers have short attention spans and anything you can do to 'cram' your videos without ruining them helps.
3. You really want to catch your viewer quick, like in the first few seconds. A very easy way to do this is by showing them the end product at the very beginning of the video as an introduction. Maybe start off with a little background music? Anything that really grabs their attentiin and shows that they are in for something that is worth their time.
Ma'am you have the two most critical and important elements in making videos already nailed; you have a great presentation and personality and you are making videos. Everything else is just slight improvements to increase your authority on the platform. Good luck! Now get out there and go create something awesome!

OP
OP
EmzChad

EmzChad

New User
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
You have a natural talent for presentation... you went through that entire video with very little dead air and you were very concise and informative with your instructions, and as a simple instructional video this video is very accomplished.
But this is YouTube and you are competing for views. That doesn't mean you need to change a thing, your videos will do just fine as they are. If you want to improve your YouTube performance though, I would suggest a few minor edits:
1. Text overlays (writing descriptions of ingredients, preparation notes etc on the screen) would do a lot to improve the 'pop' of your video as well as provide a little additional info for viewers who are maybe preparing the recipes along with the video.
2. Cuts. This one sounds far scarier than it is, but simply editing your video by cutting out moments of dead air... even if its just a second... kinda gives the viewer the feeling that you have trimmed all the fat and are leaving them with only the meat of the video. YouTube society wants their info quick and to the point, viewers have short attention spans and anything you can do to 'cram' your videos without ruining them helps.
3. You really want to catch your viewer quick, like in the first few seconds. A very easy way to do this is by showing them the end product at the very beginning of the video as an introduction. Maybe start off with a little background music? Anything that really grabs their attention and shows that they are in for something that is worth their time.
Ma'am you have the two most critical and important elements in making videos already nailed; you have a great presentation and personality and you are making videos. Everything else is just slight improvements to increase your authority on the platform. Good luck! Now get out there and go create something awesome!
Thank you so much for your feedback. I'm new here, i've been live on YouTube for 2 weeks so this kind of feedback is very much needed and appreciated. :)

XE Games

New User
TubeBuddy Pro
I personally love to learn and watch about many various subjects - cooking and healthy lifestyle videos being one of them. I believe you are born for the camera and your presence is lovely. As a non-native English person I did struggle a bit to be able to hear you properly. I would also love to see more close-ups, measuring the ingredients, etc. Turning something "simple" into magic to make it pop out more. I believe you did a marvelous job on the "pop out" in your new Tuna Sweetcorn Mayonnaise video, but I still could not hear you speak and explain as well as it could be. I look forward to your new videos because I love your channel. I got hooked.

Senior Notions

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy User
The close ups of you and the ingredients are terrific! And I like the kitchen appliances in the background so much better.

And the sanctuary animals! :)

Guitar Hack

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
G'Day EmzChad .
There are 2 main aspects I would try to improve.
The first would be to up the white balance and brighten the overall video. It colour seems a little flat. You might have a "Magic" button in your Video Editor Software?
The second would be a lapel microphone to reduce the echo. I know it's too hard to sound deaden rooms. The lapel should reduce the reverb.
Hope this helps. :)

OP
OP
EmzChad

EmzChad

New User
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
G'Day EmzChad .
There are 2 main aspects I would try to improve.
The first would be to up the white balance and brighten the overall video. It colour seems a little flat. You might have a "Magic" button in your Video Editor Software?
The second would be a lapel microphone to reduce the echo. I know it's too hard to sound deaden rooms. The lapel should reduce the reverb.
Hope this helps. :)
Hi, thank you for your feedback. I have now invested in some lighting to improve the quality. I agree with your comment on the sound too. I used a lapel mic previoulsy but I ended up with a feedback buzzing, which I'm unsure why.

Guitar Hack

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Hi, thank you for your feedback. I have now invested in some lighting to improve the quality. I agree with your comment on the sound too. I used a lapel mic previoulsy but I ended up with a feedback buzzing, which I'm unsure why.
I can highly recommend these lights for anyone else wanting better colour balance. They do give off a slight purple hue (Very hard to notice and easily edited out).
Yes that's right - 2 with stands for $50. That's all they cost me.

Last edited:

Freakin N1

New User
TubeBuddy User
The video is good. But I am the type of guy who needs to listen carefully to understand the whole procedure and with noises of the surrounding it is really hard. So you must try to record in some quite place or use the feature of a video editor to denoise the surrounding noise which will be helpful to the viewer to listen the whole procedure.

Hello. I thought the video was good but the audio needs to be better. May I suggest a Lav mic. also if you cut a few scenes and did different camera angles or added another camera it might help make there be a little more action. But all in all you have great camera presentation and I hope to see more videos from you. Good Luck

Junior and Patricia

Newbie Member
Member of the Month
Subscriber Goal
You talked very clear, easy to understand and the recipe looks great. I think overall good but you should also add some close-ups with the camera on yourself and the ingredients while making it to give different angles and the viewer a different perspective.

OP
OP
EmzChad

EmzChad

New User
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
The video is good. But I am the type of guy who needs to listen carefully to understand the whole procedure and with noises of the surrounding it is really hard. So you must try to record in some quite place or use the feature of a video editor to denoise the surrounding noise which will be helpful to the viewer to listen the whole procedure.
I have recently improved on the audio in my latest videos. So im hoping there is less distractions. Thank you for your feedback.

Hello. I thought the video was good but the audio needs to be better. May I suggest a Lav mic. also if you cut a few scenes and did different camera angles or added another camera it might help make there be a little more action. But all in all you have great camera presentation and I hope to see more videos from you. Good Luck
I agree with your feedback, thank you. I have made improvements in this area and im trying to focus more on what im doing rather than the camera pointing at me.

The way you present is good and the instructions you give easy to remember. The background and the appliances are also good.Hope you enjoy cooking a lot. :)
Thank you. I enjoy cooking very much. I am a craft baker by trade.

You talked very clear, easy to understand and the recipe looks great. I think overall good but you should also add some close-ups with the camera on yourself and the ingredients while making it to give different angles and the viewer a different perspective.
Thank you for your feedback. It is always great to have other opinions. Sometimes you need that second pair of eyes.