• Guest FORUM patch notes JUNE! Click Here to learn more!

Request channel review

hwg

Newbie Member
Member of the Month
User name: hwg
Title of thread: Request channel review
Self review: The channel supports a blog that offers tips and products for older adults. I replaced the original intro with a more modern, shorter intro, replaced the old banner, and added a Value Proposition. Worked with the Keyword Explorer, although not sure I totally understand it, yet. Uploading is infrequent; working on that. Hoping to start on thumbnails today. Not sure how to say what the channel does to help you? Thanks a lot for checking it out! :)
Link to video: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk_8UQ0CP6MTGIVAROOvI3w
Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/20945/post-55852

BraveStarrTG

Life Is A Game
OK, here's my take on your channel.

First, let me say it's awesome to see your channel finally. I remember reading that you kept it a secret for the moment because you were in the process of making changes and stuff.

From what I can see your channel looks pretty good right off the bat. The artwork is clean and clear and although you don't have any schedule on there yet because you said you're working on it you have the space to put it on there. One thing I would recommend is to put a link to the blog next to the subscribe link, that way people can see the blog linked to this channel.

Considering you're getting a lot more views than you have subs you seem to be doing well with your SEO though I'll be honest I'm still learning about SEO myself so I have no real expertise in this so take my comment with a grain a salt. You seem to have a grasp of your ideal audience so making sure your SEO is based around that will definitely help. Now the goal is to get them to subscribe and get them to more videos and come back for more.

I think your endscreen could use a modification. Perhaps extending the length of the endscreen at the point where it fully reveals and keep it there for at least 20 seconds to allow you to add some endscreen video links to other videos on your page and a link to the subscribe button maybe. Kinda how it looks below. Just an idea, can look better on YT.

This can help drive viewers to other videos on your channel for more views.

That's all I have for now. These are just suggestions.

Reactions: hwg
OP
OP
hwg

hwg

Newbie Member
Member of the Month
BraveStarrTG, I absolutely LOVE what you did with the endscreen and thumbnails! That is AWESOME! Thank you! I can't wait to add it to the next video! :)

The channel wasn't really a secret but it was awful LoL :) I didn't know we could make our own thumbnails so they were just the random Youtube-generated ones, and you seriously don't even want to know what the banner looked like!

I've gotten a much better sense of direction over the past few weeks, learning so much on the forums and watching tutorials.

Thanks for the tip to link to the blog in the banner. I will add it.

SEO makes so much sense to me in theory but then in practice, not as much. I keep waiting for that "Aha" moment where it all makes sense. :D Thanks for the tip about basing the SEO on the ideal audience. A good reminder to keep your audience in mind when picking out titles and tags.

The one video that has the most views (the Stamina Mini Bike), I'm not sure if it's just a popular item, or something about the video. So I guess I will do a few more unboxings and find how that goes.

Thank so much for taking your time to give me some great suggestions! :)

BraveStarrTG

Life Is A Game
Yea, I know what you mean. I had an epiphany just a week ago about understanding how YT works in order to get your channel growing. Once @Andrew laid it out in plain English I was like "wait, do you mean it's like this, this and this?" when he said yes I was like "OMG, are you kidding me? Now I get it, finally, after all this time. it all made sense". lol Granted it doesn't mean I figured out the secret, I just get it now and can now have a real plan and hope I can execute it properly. I have a new channel I'm launching soon where I am gonna be using all the things I've been learning and hope I can make it work.

The most important thing to remember is this. Apart from knowing what your ideal audience is, you also have to accept that no matter how much knowledge you gain, its no guarantee you'll succeed and you can't blame YT or those who gave you the knowledge if you don't. In the end your channel is your responsibility.

Reactions: RazzBarlow and hwg

Photoguy

Newbie Member
Overall a better looking channel than most (looks better than mine too). I can see that some of your videos includes only a few keywords. So try to do some more keyword research and put in more keywords. Your thumbnails looks good, but maybe you can use some brighter or "popping" colors. Like neon green or neon red/orange. But that's just a suggestion, I don't know if I'm right to be honest since they look good and fits what your channel's about.

While speaking about what your channel's about, I see that you have videos about LED kits which I don't really understand being on the channel. I understand that it's fun to show what you've got but it's made like a tutorial. If it were made more like a vlog I'd think more would accept it. Otherwise I thinkthe theme about health and smart solutions is pretty clear. Just if you keep it going and upload more videos I think your channel will grow!

Reactions: RazzBarlow and hwg
OP
OP
hwg

hwg

Newbie Member
Member of the Month
Hi Photoguy, thanks for the great compliment! Yes, I'm still trying to figure out the keywords SEO. While learning to create the blog, they said do not use too many keywords. I think they called it "keyword stuffing." So, I'm trying to figure out the right approach to keywords on YouTube. I've been studying a bit more and have a better idea, so I can go back over them and add some relevant keywords.

Funny you mention the brighter color. I had a somewhat lime green border but it didn't go over too well, so I changed it to the more sedate orange. You have a good point about the LED light videos. I'm glad you said it seems like a tutorial because that's the last thing I would have wanted to do, since I'm trying to figure out how lighting works. I thought it might help others new to Youtube so I posted them.

Thanks a bunch for your comments and good luck with your channel. I'll definitely check out your photography tips!

RazzBarlow

TubeBuddy Pro
OK, in order:

I love the channel banner. It clearly says who you are and what you do! Perfect.

I love the trailer channel. Again, it says who you are and what you're doing in a short, easy-to-watch trailer.

I watched the video for the bluetooth for the TV. Couple of small suggestions. I would eliminate the audio from the video track where you are doing the actual unboxing. It is distracting to hear the noise from the box and plastic. The music you have in that same section sets a great mood and would be perfect for that portion. BraveStarr talked about the end screen and I agree with his suggestions completely. But definitely keep your "outro".I love it. Your titles/instructions are timely and easy to read. They seem concise and correct. Overall, very well done! I think you've got a winner of a channel concept on your hands! This next thing will sound strange, but hear me out. I can tell watching the video that the on-camera "talent" is an older person, probably a woman. That is huge, HUGE, HUGE!!! I believe your audience will receive these tips and reviews from you much more easily than if a 20-something techie was explaining/showing it to them. Don't forget that asset and use it!

OP
OP
hwg

hwg

Newbie Member
Member of the Month
RazzBarlow thanks you so much for your detailed comments :) I've gotten so much helpful feedback here, you all are amazing!

First, thank you for your compliments on the Banner and Trailer :) It really helps to know if I'm going in the right direction on these.
Thanks for letting me know the unboxing audio is distracting. I was hoping it added to the realism LoL :blush: I can fix that going forward.

I extended the outro to include End Screens as BraveStarr recommended on the next video. I posted it below. Do you guys think it works?

I appreciate your observation about using the older woman asset, haha. Something to think about, thanks :) Thank you so much for taking time to check out my channel and commenting! :)

Here's the outro with End Screens,
View: https://youtu.be/ehoyjf7v0Q8?t=197

I think your endscreen could use a modification. Perhaps extending the length of the endscreen at the point where it fully reveals and keep it there for at least 20 seconds to allow you to add some endscreen video links to other videos on your page and a link to the subscribe button maybe. Kinda how it looks below. Just an idea, can look better on YT.

View attachment 3033

This can help drive viewers to other videos on your channel for more views.

That's all I have for now. These are just suggestions.

Here is the next video using the End Screens in the outro as you suggested. What do you think? Thanks!
View: https://youtu.be/ehoyjf7v0Q8?t=197

While speaking about what your channel's about, I see that you have videos about LED kits which I don't really understand being on the channel. I understand that it's fun to show what you've got but it's made like a tutorial. If it were made more like a vlog I'd think more would accept it. Otherwise I thinkthe theme about health and smart solutions is pretty clear. Just if you keep it going and upload more videos I think your channel will grow!

Photoguy, after I responded last night I remembered that when I was debating posting the LED Light videos, that one of the tutorials I watched said to post videos of your gear and have a separate Playlist for them (even if you're channel isn't about video). Maybe I should make a playlist for them now, even though there's only the lights. That way they would be somewhat separate from the other content. I did make the cup logo background in the corner a different color and left the lime green border on just those two, but nobody would probably even notice the difference.

So much to think about, opinions welcome! :)