Need Advice My YouTube stats have nose dived , please help

Kevin82

New User
Since using TubeBuddy my stats have taken a dramatic nose dive and I have no idea why. My channel is https://www.youtube.com/kevindurhamcomedian.

In March, before I was using TubeBuddy, I had 130,194 minutes of watch time across all of my videos.
In May, after I optimised my videos, my watch time fell to a record low of 31,229.

Previously my videos had rubbish cluttered thumbnails, completely irrelevant tags and extremely brief descriptions. I was also very inconsistent with my uploads. Over the month of April I created clearer thumbnails, worked on the tags and descriptions extensively using TubeBuddy and I started to make content live daily.

However following doing these things my stats have bombed and I can't figure out why. I'd appreciate any advice anyone has.

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Since using TubeBuddy my stats have taken a dramatic nose dive and I have no idea why. My channel is https://www.youtube.com/kevindurhamcomedian.

In March, before I was using TubeBuddy, I had 130,194 minutes of watch time across all of my videos.
In May, after I optimised my videos, my watch time fell to a record low of 31,229.

Previously my videos had rubbish cluttered thumbnails, completely irrelevant tags and extremely brief descriptions. I was also very inconsistent with my uploads. Over the month of April I created clearer thumbnails, worked on the tags and descriptions extensively using TubeBuddy and I started to make content live daily.

However following doing these things my stats have bombed and I can't figure out why. I'd appreciate any advice anyone has.
First you wouldn't lose total watch time for optimizing videos..? What stat in analytics are you looking at?

I'm curious why you went daily? I always give my content 1-2 days to breathe and find it performs better since I'm not overwhelming my Audience.

Also you're doing all these changes at once, so if you went daily that isn't TB you did this in April and it's only been a month. I'd say show me your April to may comparative analytics...

OP
OP
K

Kevin82

New User
Hi Andrew,

In reply.

1. 'First you wouldn't lose total watch time for optimizing videos..?' - yep, that's what I thought, but it looks like I did

2. I was looking at the watch time. If I was to look at the views instead I received 29,829 in March, 24,833 in April, going right down to 12,545 in May.

To put this into context.

March was before I optimised anything.
April was when I was working on the videos.
The videos were optimised by the beginning of May.

3. I went daily on the advice given in the videos by a few big YouTubers (Roberto Blake being one of them)

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Hi Andrew,

In reply.

1. 'First you wouldn't lose total watch time for optimizing videos..?' - yep, that's what I thought, but it looks like I did

2. I was looking at the watch time. If I was to look at the views instead I received 29,829 in March, 24,833 in April, going right down to 12,545 in May.

To put this into context.

March was before I optimised anything.
April was when I was working on the videos.
The videos were optimised by the beginning of May.

3. I went daily on the advice given in the videos few big YouTubers (Roberto Blake being one of them)
I would look in analytics at 2019, so you can see your total watch time. That's how you'd find that or choose since lifetime.

That fixes 1.

I'd ask in your breakdown when the daily change started? For 2.

Third, the daily change could be what is causing the drastic change, since you are uploading more, and people may not be watching all. Also looking at your channel your topics range from a variety of things, so who is your core audience?

All to say you said "The videos were optimized in the beginning of may" That means you only have a month of data. I'd say we need more, and to take into consideration the daily changes.

OP
OP
K

Kevin82

New User
Hi Andrew,

Thanks, I've had a look at the watch time for the year and I can confirm that it took a big hit when I started using TubeBuddy. I've included a graph of my watch time below.

If I click the 'show growth' option on this graph, the daily growth since I started using TubeBuddy varies between -11% to -49%.

The changes in my watch time started around the 15th April, things fell fairly rapidly after this and have stayed comparatively low since.

Great point on the core audience, this is something that I need to look at for sure.

I've got a couple of theories that I'd like to get your thoughts on.

The first is that I uploaded comedy sketches, which were very different from the celebrity interview content on the channel and this somehow mucked things up. Could this have somehow confused YouTube with what's on my channel, possibly stopping certain videos being recommended?

My second theory is that I had a few old videos, which somehow were getting traction, despite being poorly tagged and having rubbish descriptions. Possibly this was something to do with some aspect of the age of the video?

Taking an interview I did with Nina Conti as an example, which was uploaded in 2014 and looking at a breakdown of the views that the video got.

In February - 9,953 views
March - 20,893 views
April - 15,579 views (started using TubeBuddy and optimised the video toward the end of the month)
May - 2,808 views

Would love to know your thoughts.

Many thanks,

Kevin

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
This is what I was replying to, you said before you had 130,194 minutes. You still have that time, you didn't lose it.

I've got a couple of theories that I'd like to get your thoughts on.

The first is that I uploaded comedy sketches, which were very different from the celebrity interview content on the channel and this somehow mucked things up. Could this have somehow confused YouTube with what's on my channel, possibly stopping certain videos being recommended?
This absolutely can happen. Because users and YT knew you for one thing, and then you changed it. Which is more so on the content of the channel changed, not so much TB did it.

The thing is, if you find success, and then change the content up a bit, and then it hits a low, YouTube probably wasn't sure where to fit your content.

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Dude, forget content you made in 2014. Going back and trying to optimize old videos has never worked. YouTube cares about one thing: new content that they can push to new people. What you did was take old, well-established, well-performing content and tried to shoe horn them into a new "system."

Always take a from-here-forward attitude. Also from February to May is not long enough time frame. That's only 1/3 of a year, and you need to be looking at five and ten years at a time for long term growth.

If you want to experiment with optimizing old videos, take a handful of your poor performing older videos and optimize them, watch their performance over about a year and see what happens. You probably won't fine any difference because YouTube doesn't care about your old content.

The last thing yo want to do is change everything all at once. People tend to blame some outside source for their problems instead of looking internally at how you have interacted with your audience over time.

Going daily on YouTube is the worst thing ever. You're just cramming it down their throats Although every channel is different, daily content just doesn't work. My audience can't handle more than three videos a week. Best practice is usually two videos plus a live stream.

If your audience is all a sudden getting videos from you everyday, they'll quit watching. I can't tell you the number of times people say they'll quit watchign a channel once they start going daily.

Also remember you channel will have ups and downs, just like the mutual funds in my Roth IRA.

And, yes, if you fundamentally changed you channel's content them YouTube definately freaked out. Not only that but your audience freaked out too because you started making totally different content that what they subscribed for. Understand that at the end of the day there are people on teh other end of these videos as well as the algorithm.

If you want to do celebrity interviews fin, but understand that you have a fundamentally different audience that you have not built up yet. That has nothing to do with TB.

If a person runs a mountain bike channel, then one day they start uploading hiking videos, they would have the same effect even though they optimized everything in TB. Again TB is not some miracle elixir where all you have to do is punch in the tags and thus unlock the flood gates pour out subscribers.You have to provide content that people expect.

Last edited:

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
If you want to experiment with optimizing old videos, take a handful of your poor performing older videos and optimize them, watch their performance over about a year and see what happens. You probably won't fine any difference because YouTube doesn't care about your old content.
Actually that's not true. It will always try to resurface the most relevant content, so if you go back and optimize an older piece of content with more relevant information it can rank, and perform differently I've seen it happen many times. HOWEVER, that is INCREDIBLY hard to pull off and takes time and practice.

Dude, forget content you made in 2014. Going back and trying to optimize old videos has never worked. YouTube cares about one thing: new content that they can push to new people. What you did was take old, well-established, well-performing content and tried to shoe horn them into a new "system."

Always take a from-here-forward attitude. Also from February to May is not long enough time frame. That's only 1/3 of a year, and you need to be looking at five and ten years at a time for long term growth.

The last thing yo want to do is change everything all at once. People tend to blame some outside source for their problems instead of looking internally at how you have interacted with your audience over time.

Going daily on YouTube is the worst thing ever. You're just cramming it down their throats Although every channel is different, daily content just doesn't work. My audience can't handle more than three videos a week. Best practice is usually two videos plus a live stream.

If your audience is all a sudden getting videos from you everyday, they'll quit watching. I can't tell you the number of times people say they'll quit watchign a channel once they start going daily.

Also remember you channel will have ups and downs, just like the mutual funds in my Roth IRA.
The rest is pretty good advice.

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
@Andrew, I agree, and I should have thought more about that before I blurted it out. I have tried updating some of the old content with better thumbnails, better optimized tags, and it did help that older, well-performing, well-positioned content perform even better. However, as you have mentioned, I've spent much better time cranking out newer content.

Last edited:

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
@Andrew, I agree, and I should have thought more about that before I bloated it out. I have tried updating some of the old content with better thumbnails, better optimized tags, and it did help that older, well-performing, well-positioned content perform even better. However, as you have mentioned, I've spent much better time cranking out newer content.
Also sometimes even if you go back and re-optimize it doesn't have the watch time to support it, so it may takes months to years before it hits. However, thank you for the correction! Your new content is crushing it :D

OP
OP
K

Kevin82

New User
@Andrew @Damon

Thanks both for your advice, it's greatly appreciated. I've changed my schedule so that three videos go live a week instead of daily content.

Looks like I've taken the wind out of the sails of some good performing old videos, lesson learnt. I think that doing this combined with the daily content schedule caused things to come crashing down.

In light of this, do you think it's worth me removing the comedy sketches to start another channel or should I leave it as I only have 2.2k subscribers at the moment anyway?

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
My old gardening channel only had 800 subscribers when I shut it down and started my current fishing channel. I chose to start a new channel because I wanted a fresh start. Starting a new channel was a better choice for me. It was more a life decision than anything. You'll have to make that decision.

Last edited:

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
My old gardening channel only had 800 subscribers when I shut it down and started my current fishing channel. I chose to start a new channel because I wanted a fresh start. Starting a new channel was a better choice for me. It was more a life decision than anything. You'll have to make that decision.
Truth, and it's only your call to make OP