• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Chrome Or Firefox - How Google May Be Making The Choice For You

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I'm pretty sure most would agree that regardless of whether you're finances include advertising as a paycheck or not that most don't like ads and that having an ad blocker on your browser is as common as having Google Search as main tab when you open your browser. There's a reason Netflix is so popular, but I digress.

I've been a dedicated Chrome user since Google+ was invite only. I started using Chrome because most of the extensions I had on Firefox could be found on Chrome and several Google+ extensions that made the website more useful could only be found on Chrome. That made the transition much easier for me. Although most of those Google+ extensions eventually became useless and Google+ was shut down recently leaving Chrome to go back to Firefox has become as easy as building a space shuttle from scratch for me. However, this latest story from Google has me wondering if I should start reconsidering a rematch with Firefox.

Firefox has made a lot of improvements since last I used it and odds are I should be able to find most if not all the extension I currently have on Chrome on Firefox as well. Firefox does claim to use less memory than Chrome but some research shows this not to be entirely true. Still, the difference may not be so bad as to not consider giving Firefox another try if Google does decide to flip the bird on us for the sake of making more money via ads. I mean, I get it. Ads are Google's domain. It's one of their main sources of revenue so it obviously makes sense for them to want to block the very thing that goes against their business. But I pay for Netflix for a reason. I pay for Hulu's top tier for a reason. I watch Youtube and Twitch over most other forms of video for a reason. I rarely watch local or cable TV for a reason and I don't listen to radio stations for a reason. I don't like ads, they are often annoying, too long and too often for my taste. If switching to Firefox will let me continue to use my ad blockers then I am likely to at least have both browsers installed and see if I transition from one to the other either unconsciously or on purpose.

So, what do you think? Are you are Chrome user and thus will you stick around even if they implement this block or ad blockers? Or will you consider switching? This might just make an excellent video for a tech channel.

https://9to5google.com/2019/05/29/chrome-ad-blocking-enterprise-manifest-v3/

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
Sounds like Google is shooting its own foot, but I understand the reasoning. I wonder how much they're gonna charge for enterprise.

Personally, I like the layout of FireFox better and it does run better on my computer. I used Chrome and FireFox back-to-back on occasions, but Chrome was my main until 2017. Although I don't have a big problem switching back and forth (I know some people get offended if I tell them to use FireFox or vice-versa lol).

Huh... I was gonna make a comment about when is Microsoft putting in extension on Edge, but they did. It's more of an integration with Chrome, but eh. I'll take it.

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I used Firefox for years. I love all the customization options on the layout. Chrome thinks they know what I want my browser to look like - and they could not be more wrong. Also Firefox supports various YouTube downloader extensions, Chrome does not. But a while back the latest release of Firefox finally killed the customization options (CSS edits quit working), and it became a complete memory hog.

I reluctantly switched to Chrome and have gotten used to the horrid page layout. I only use Firefox when I need to download something from YT (like music or old TV shows).

I have not heard anything about Chrome getting rid of AdBlocker, but that would be a game changer. Surfing without AdBlock is not an option for me. I have used it since the 90s. I ain't giving it up without a fight (and that is a big reason I rarely use the net on my phone).

OP
OP
BraveStar

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Sounds like Google is shooting its own foot, but I understand the reasoning. I wonder how much they're gonna charge for enterprise.

Personally, I like the layout of FireFox better and it does run better on my computer. I used Chrome and FireFox back-to-back on occasions, but Chrome was my main until 2017. Although I don't have a big problem switching back and forth (I know some people get offended if I tell them to use FireFox or vice-versa lol).

Huh... I was gonna make a comment about when is Microsoft putting in extension on Edge, but they did. It's more of an integration with Chrome, but eh. I'll take it.

I haven't used FF in years. I am so used to Chrome and have specific setups for me and my family that its gonna take some time to get used to FF again and that's if I can even set it up the same way as Chrome. I found most of the extensions I use so that's a plus and FF has a few features I like that Chrome doesn't have. But if I can't get it set up the way I do with Chrome that might be an issue.

I used Firefox for years. I love all the customization options on the layout. Chrome thinks they know what I want my browser to look like - and they could not be more wrong. Also Firefox supports various YouTube downloader extensions, Chrome does not. But a while back the latest release of Firefox finally killed the customization options (CSS edits quit working), and it became a complete memory hog.

I reluctantly switched to Chrome and have gotten used to the horrid page layout. I only use Firefox when I need to download something from YT (like music or old TV shows).

I have not heard anything about Chrome getting rid of AdBlocker, but that would be a game changer. Surfing without AdBlock is not an option for me. I have used it since the 90s. I ain't giving it up without a fight (and that is a big reason I rarely use the net on my phone).

Yea, that's how I'm feeling now having to consider switching to FF if this goes through. This is definitely gonna be an issue for a lot of people and I think Google is counting on that.