• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Community The Non-Designer's Design Book

Senior Notions

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
I have an older version (2, I think). If you do not have a background in Design, you might be amazed at the tips on alignment, proportion, repetition, contrast, etc. in this book. Lots of comparison/examples included (do this, don't do that). The version I have was geared toward print but the principles should be the same. The 4th edition might be updated for online, too.

Reactions: Damon and TubeBuddy

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal

Thinking of buying this book to learn more of the basics of graphics design to help make better thumbnails.

NOTE: not an affiliate link.

I've never read that book however when I was in school for Graphic Design this was one of our required books https://www.amazon.com/Elements-Gra...+graphic+design&qid=1559377457&s=books&sr=1-3 (Not an affiliate link). I really don't think a book is necessary but I know a lot of people learn better with books so more power to you!

Reactions: Damon
OP
OP
Damon

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Yeah, a book is how I learn. Then once I get a basic grammar/elementary understanding, then it's a matter of looking at the art form itself and learn directly from good examples.

Last edited:

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
These days you're better off watching youtube tutorials by designers like Will Patterson and The Futur. Books are cool to learn from, but not sure I'd bother spending money on a book when the internet is a source of so much free information. Plus, we're all focusing on YouTube here. Why not watch a designer SHOW you things you need to know.

It could be a good way to learn the principles of design, which is the fundamentals. But once you learn the fundamentals of design elements and principles, it's about HOW you use those design elements and principles. For example, thumbnails are about grabbing attention in as short amount of time as possible in a small space, using over the top size text, colour etc, and sometimes what works well for one design application, might not work so well for a thumbnail.

Learn about hierarchy, balance, composition etc, and then how to alter those elements for a small space and you should be good to go, and I'm not sure if this book would cover those topics.
I'd really start on some free bases classes first before purchasing a book, but that's just my perspective :)

Reactions: Aaron
OP
OP
Damon

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Well, people learn in different ways. I'm buying the book. It's a bit sad that we live in a post-literate society. As I said before the book is only for the grammar, elementary understanding. From there you learn directly from the greats, the "art form" itself from those who mastered it. From there you master your own way of doing it. The later two cannot be learned from a book or any kind of class free or paid. This is how you learn what applies here and there. See I'm not interested in being spoon feed.

So, I'm buying the book. It has helped me so far, and I'll keep learning that way. A book I can take with me, live with it, sleep with it, study it, write in it. A book engages more of my senses touch, smell, sight, memory. There more stuff for my brain to bite onto and etch new pathways. No online or free class can do that, ever, not even on a smartphone.

This is called the classical method of education, most commonly described in grammar, logic and rhetoric.

Grammar: elementary principles, terms, basic understanding of the subject.
Logic: You begin to apply said principles learned previously. You learn directly from the greats. Ie., in music you listen to lots of Beethoven, even if you're a rock star, Queen anyone? Thumbnails you learn graphics design and begin to learn the differences between print and online. on your own.
Rhetoric: You begin to master a thing and come into your own. You're able to enter the great debate, teach others, write your own book or teach your on class online or free.

In other words the book serves 1/3 of the way I learn at best. Yet, it's the most fundamental aspect of the system.

There's a big difference between textbooks and the classics. Textbooks are horrible for learning. They are the dumbest thing ever for learning anything. I'm not looking for a textbook. I'm looking for a Grammar Phase classic in the realm of graphic design. The book I've chosen my be that book for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: TubeBuddy

Senior Notions

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Damon I think you will like the book, especially considering your learning style.

Having said that, I watched a Nick Nimmin thumbnail PhotoShop tutorial that takes you through his thought process as he creates a thumbnail. It's about a half hour and worth every minute. I'm looking forward to trying to make good thumbnails now that I've watched it. Even if you don't use PhotoShop, I think what he does could be accomplished in other photo editors.

Are we allowed to post links?

(Also ... Queen!) :)