• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Twitch Wants To Go Pay-To-Watch

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I'm not surprised to hear this story. As a content creator on YT I can't deny I look forward to the day my channel can bring in some mula. I mean, really, who doesn't have a YT channel with the intentions of making money even if it's not the main reason? But I digress.

So according to the tweet below Twitch is apparently testing a feature where a streamer can set their streams so that only subs can watch it. Maybe it's just me but wouldn't that hurt a streamer more than benefit them? I can see some ways where this feature may be useful. The OA of the tweet tried to compare it to Patreon where people who subscribe get subs only extra content. That makes sense, the point of Patreon is to give people more in exchange for some help maintaining the content they create. But Patreon is a separate system altogether. It's not part of Youtube or even Twitch. Most fans wouldn't even realize they are missing out on extra content if they are not aware of Patreon or are not interested in it. So having sub only streams could be seen the same way giving the sub fans an extra treat for them only. But that means the channel is then blocked to the rest of the fans. The ones who followed to be able to watch their favorite streamers and if these streamers get greedy and decide every stream will be subs only from now on because they are big enough to demand it then the fans are basically being told if you can pay too bad, your problem not mine. Is this really what streamers want? Is this really what Twitch wants?

Well, as the saying goes "all good things must come to an end" and it was only a matter of time before Twitch started charging to use it. YT already has YT Premium but most of the stuff on there is not worth paying for it anyways. The only real benefit is the ad-free feature and Google Play Music subscription that comes with it. the rest of YT is still open to the rest of us.

Maybe I'm making too much out of this. But I don't see this being a good thing when it's obvious many streamers are likely to abuse it at first and when that happens goodbye Twitch and help Youtube Livestreams. If anything this will be a benefit for YT who may see a surge in livestream views.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I actually thought TWITCH already had subscriber only stream modes and it's just not often people use it. I'm pretty sure I've seen a few people do it.

If they want to make the WHOLE platform that way, then that's going to be a bad thing, but if it's going to be like how some memberships use exclusive livestreams as a perk, then I don't see it being that big of a deal. If people abuse it, their audience will make the deciding call.

OP
OP
BraveStar

BraveStar

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I actually thought TWITCH already had subscriber only stream modes and it's just not often people use it. I'm pretty sure I've seen a few people do it.

If they want to make the WHOLE platform that way, then that's going to be a bad thing, but if it's going to be like how some memberships use exclusive livestreams as a perk, then I don't see it being that big of a deal. If people abuse it, their audience will make the deciding call.

The only part I know they have for subs only is the chat which you can see but not chat in and the VODs which you can only see if you're a sub.

Reactions: Beanie Draws

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
I don't think it's that bad. I mean, if a streamer decides to do subs-only streams, that only hurts them if the free people don't like it. On the other hand, I feel like they've already done this or tried this already. I mean, some people just turn on chat for subs only or they only listen to subs in chat.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
The only part I know they have for subs only is the chat which you can see but not chat in and the VODs which you can only see if you're a sub.
Right, I think that's what I saw. though I'm pretty sure once I tried to click one someone's current stream (they were an artist and I think they were holding a live art class) and it said "this stream is currently in subscriber mode only. Please wait until they finish, become a subscriber or come back later" but I've only experienced that once.

Like Ikerot said though, if someone overuses it, it's only going to hurt themselves. All content creators need a content strategy, and if they set their strategy out right, it will do them good more than harm :)

Reactions: BraveStar
OP
OP
BraveStar

BraveStar

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I don't think it's that bad. I mean, if a streamer decides to do subs-only streams, that only hurts them if the free people don't like it. On the other hand, I feel like they've already done this or tried this already. I mean, some people just turn on chat for subs only or they only listen to subs in chat.

The fear is the abuse. Streamers will want to try to force fans to pay because they think they deserve it and money tends to be first over fans (take TFue as an example) and although they will lose in the end it will damage the Twitch experience and we would rather that not happen than watch streamers pay the price for abusing new features.

With memberships on YT you can basically have this. Just do an unlisted or private stream.

Yea, but so far YT doesn't promote making channels for subs only. Not yet anyways. lol

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
The fear is the abuse. Streamers will want to try to force fans to pay because they think they deserve it and money tends to be first over fans (take TFue as an example) and although they will lose in the end it will damage the Twitch experience and we would rather that not happen than watch streamers pay the price for abusing new features.

Yea, but so far YT doesn't promote making channels for subs only. Not yet anyways. lol

They've always had it, but you could argue with premium they're finally doing it.