TubeBuddy Tips How do length, watch time and audience retention affect revenue

Ater

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Since my channel is pretty small I focus on growth rather than making money. But if you are in it for the long run it doesn't hurt to try to learn what type of things have a positive or negative effect on your revenue and try to incorporate some of the things you learn in your content strategy so I decided to look into some numbers just for fun.

I picked videos about the same topic created pretty close to each other, a combine amount of about 35K views during the last 10 days which where the period I studied. That the videos are related around the same topic and during the same time period is key since different topics and different times of the year can have a huge effect on ad revenue.

Clearly one channel and the amount of views is nowhere near enough to make any real statistic conclusions but I found it fun and interesting to go through the numbers and compare things. I'm posting it here just to check with you guys maybe you have done similar analyses to your content, what did you check and what results did you get?

My results:
Shorter videos made on average 11.5% more revenue/1k views than videos longer videos (the shorter videos where between 2:45 - 7:11 min, the longer between 10:10 - 11:38).

Videos with high audience retention made on average 4.8% more revenue/1k views than videos with shorter retention (the videos with higher retention had on average 59.25% audience retention and the videos with lower had an average of 46,25%).

The videos with the longest watch time/view made on average 0.35% more/1k views than the videos with the shortest watch time.

Since a pretty large amount of the views came from external sources I did not compare what any of these stats had on total revenue. As an example shorter videos are making more revenue / 1k viewes than longer, but maybe the longer videos would make more total revenue because YouTube promotes them more so they get more total views. I did not study this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ater

Ater

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy Pro
focus on your niche or target audience
Yes of course, all the videos was focusing on the niche. This was comparing how well different videos inside the same niche and time period do financially depending on length, audience retention and watch time. There are a lot of stuff you could learn from studding your statistics, for example, is it better for you to do 5 min, 10 min or 20 min videos? :)