• Guest FORUM patch notes JUNE! Click Here to learn more!

Seeking Advice Monetization Timing

Stanley Orchard

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy User
I am curious... I would like to monetized most videos on my channel (50 subs away so I haven't actually experienced the process yet).
I would like to monetize our videos a week after posting as a means of 1) helping their early performance for search/suggested and 2) reward our notification squad by not making them sit through ads.
Does anybody have any thoughts or insight on this approach?

BraveStarrTG

Life Is A Game
I've never thought about this and never heard anyone talk about this before. I can see why you wanna do it this way. I would assume you're not entirely concerned with all the potential revenue you'll be missing out on by avoiding the monetization of the video during the early release of the video when the monetization will be at it's highest point to earn revenue.

If revenue doesn't matter then why not reward your most loyal viewers by gifting them an ad-free experience for the first week? But the real question is are your videos popular enough after a week so that the monetization can be effective and beneficial to you? Or are you simply not entirely interested in the money you could make thus why monetize at all?

This is an interesting strategy.

OP
OP
Stanley Orchard

Stanley Orchard

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy User
Here's my train of thought: we average about 250-300 views in our first 7 days at the moment. That revenue means nothing. The vast majority of our views come from Search and Suggested. So, I would like to monetize that traffic and improve our watchtime in the first 7 days by holding off on the ads. When we post a new video, monetize the one before it.

Reactions: BraveStarrTG

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
First monetization doesn't help or hurt a channel in search or discovery. Casey niestat didn't monetize until 1 million subscribers and he was fine in them. Second I get the idea of not making your audience sit through ads, but the main thing to think about is most people don't watch ads due to adblock, and or premium and if anything YOU'd be hurting more than the audience. I would say monetize from the start personally.

Reactions: Damon

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
Yeah, monetize from the start. One thing your audience has to learn is they need to support your channel. While not every can buy products, they can least let an ad play and passively help your channel. While I'm all for helping people with unique selling propositions and such, the reality is this all takes money. Remember that Google/YouTube is part of your audience as well. It's a three-way deal: you, your audience and YouTube itself. YouTube isn't charging a dime for us to do all this.

It's like the relationship I have with my old day job. Even though I that job quit to do YouTube, I go there often to read, study, write and think. They'll let have something to eat if I want, free drinks no problem. I buy my gas from there for my fishing trips and such. I know they aren't making much if any money off the gas, but if they're willing to give me free food, drinks and a place to study and think, maybe paying a little more for gas is well worth it.

I think the same way with YouTube. If they're going to give us all this for free, I'll run the ads every time because my goal is to make money for YouTube as well. They may not make much money off me, but the exchange for what they are offering, it's more than fair.

Also if my people are too lazy to skip the ads that they don't want to watch, then I don't want them to be my subscribers. Those are not the kind of people I want using my products because they won't lift a finger to do anything for themselves. Sure I want to help them catch boat loads of fish without spending boat loads of cash, but at the end of the day, if they rather sit on the couch and watch fishing videos as opposed to get off their rear end and go fishing, I can't help them. Usually these people leave on their own.

OP
OP
Stanley Orchard

Stanley Orchard

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy User
Guys thank you for your input... I've found every word exceptionally insightful and I agree with every word. Damon/Andrew I will be heeding your advice... thank you!

• Love
Reactions: Andrew and Damon