• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Gear Opinion Learning About Photography And Photo Editing

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
So I have taken it upon myself to learn some new things this year. Today I started messing with photography to see what I can learn. I took a picture of a local Catholic church because it's the only pretty thing in my town that I can get to by foot.

I started with some basic editing based on what @Aaron suggested, white balancing and color temps. I'll be honest, I have no idea whether I am doing this right or not but I think the picture looks better after editing. The picture itself wasn't so great so that's another thing I have to work on. But, that's how you learn right? Let me know what you think about the before and after. I'm just experimenting here.

Oh, and the camera I used was the camera from an LG V10. I know it's a bit of an old phone but it had a pretty good camera back when we got it. It's not up to par with say an iPhone X or Galaxy S10 but I still think it's really good. It's me who is awful at taking pics. :D

Reactions: kachdu

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I like what you've done with the modifications :) it does look better.
In terms of photo manipulation, I'm playing around with shadow adjustments seems that seems to be a new feature for photo editors these days, or it's just something I've now noticed more :p

Reactions: BraveStar

kachdu

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
So I have taken it upon myself to learn some new things this year. Today I started messing with photography to see what I can learn. I took a picture of a local Catholic church because it's the only pretty thing in my town that I can get to by foot.

I started with some basic editing based on what @Aaron suggested, white balancing and color temps. I'll be honest, I have no idea whether I am doing this right or not but I think the picture looks better after editing. The picture itself wasn't so great so that's another thing I have to work on. But, that's how you learn right? Let me know what you think about the before and after. I'm just experimenting here.

Oh, and the camera I used was the camera from an LG V10. I know it's a bit of an old phone but it had a pretty good camera back when we got it. It's not up to par with say an iPhone X or Galaxy S10 but I still think it's really good. It's me who is awful at taking pics. :D

View attachment 2715View attachment 2716
BTSG my man, I'm going to be honest with you.

1. It appears that the lens of phone had a smudge while taking this pic which resulted in this pic being washed out.
I want you to always clean phone lens before taking any pics from now on.

2. If the lens was not smudged than this was the result of flaring from the sun.
Next time when you shoot something like this where the sun stares down the phone right in the eyes, use your hand to provide shade and make it a temp lens hood for your phone. It will drastically improve picture quality.

3. Use HDR in situations like these where you have sun and shadows. There are loss of details in bright areas in this pic.
Enable Auto HDR and tap on the subject before taking picture from now on.

That said, here's my edit, I couldn't pull any more details out of it.
I used lightroom to do that.

hh.jpeg

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal

View attachment 2715View attachment 2716

Whats the humidity like where you are? idk how but I think it got to the camera...

OP
OP
BraveStar

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Keep practicing my friend! What are your favorite things to take photos of @BraveStarrTG

Cars. I have a few nice pics of beautiful cars I have come across though I currently don't have access to them because the drive is having issues and am waiting to fix it. But I love taking pictures of cars.

Whats the humidity like where you are? idk how but I think it got to the camera...

Honestly, I am not sure but considering this is a tropical island humidity can be pretty high often during this time of the year. I happen to live in what I call a hole. My town rarely gets rain compared to the rest of the towns around me. I'm 10 minutes away from the mountains where it rains every day.

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Well, it isn't about finding what is beautiful. It's about find what is interesting about anything. There are an infinite number of shots you could make of that building that would be interesting. Imagine that the subject of your photo is the center of the universe. From that there are an infitine number of point along the imaginary globe surrounding that sujbect. And the globe itself can be moved in or out.

You now have an infinite number of photos to capture of this one unexciting building. To make things interesting you have to think in 3 dimensions not 2.

For instance why not get to the base of one of the spire, lay on your back and look up. again the building being the center of the universe, imagine a transparent globe with points of longitude and latitude just like planet Earth.

At the base of the spire, the transparent globe is tight in. You're sort of in the Australian continent position looking up.

Again lest go throug h the steps
  1. Each photo "should" have a subject.
  2. The subject is now the center of the universe.
  3. Draw an imaginary globe with lines of longitude and latitude and the subject is the center.
  4. Take pictures from many, many points along these x, y and z axes.
  5. Move the imaginary globe in or out. Take more pictures along the many point of longitude and latitude.
All a sudden you could be looking down from the North Pole or looking up from the South Pole, or from Alaska, or Russian, or Ethiopia, or Belgium. You could be inches away or miles away. All a sudden this boring building and your boring town has infinite interesting, thought provoking and life changing potential. This is why beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

All thing applies to motion picture as well. And we haven't even talked about focal length, lenses. You could do all this with each focal length lens on the camera, 17mm, 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, 100mm, 135mm, 200mm, 300mm, 400mm, 500mm.

You could take each focal length and go through each step listed above. Each lens and point on the globe will yield a certain look that no other combination will have. This is the mechanics of taking images with still or in motion.

And we haven't even talked about what you will do with the colors. With millions of pixels each one taking in color data, you have an infinite number of color possibilities after you take the picture.

The reality there is nothing uninteresting.

Last edited:
Reactions: BraveStar

vyaruzz

I am a self taught photographer and I've learned a lot from practicing. It will take you to the next level of photography if you learn about the features of your camera. Always find something or somewhere to shoot. Learn about the exposure and the fundamentals of composition, and always focus on the right direction. I'm not expert in terms of photo editing so I rely only base on the quality of photos I've taken.

Reactions: Aaron and BraveStar

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Remember also a picture tells a thousand words, so which words do you wish to tell? My favorite thing to photograph is food and camera gear! :D