Whats More Important

• Views

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • Subscribers

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

Smallio

New User
Right so I want to see your guys opinion on this.

I completely understand the importants of both. People watching your videos gives watch time and engagement. Views can also lead to comments which is a very important feed back on weather your content is good or not. Subscribers on the other hand is a counter of people who are going to be updated when ever you upload which leads to consistent views. Now on the most part subscribers show how many people like your content so much so they hit the subscribe button.

But a major thing for smaller youtubers is that they recieve subscribers that expect them to subscribe back and they have no interest in your content. Even bigger youtubers can have a huge amount of subscribers but low amount of views. This can be because of many reasons, one being that thier audiance grew tired of their content and the creator just couldn't bring them back.

high views though doesn't equal high watch time. Luckily youtube has given pleanty of tools to check our analytics but you could get 1,000 views but 910 of them clicked to another video after a minute. There are tones of cases out there where youtubers get more views than they have subscribers. Childrens channels for example.

Last point, I have a bad habbit of enjoying a channle but never subscribing. Doesn't make sense I know but I look up their channel or their channel is suggested to me and I watch every video they upload.

I am aware this topic is very situational but it's just a bit of fun. It will also be very interesting to hear peoples view points that are much more expirenced than me. Happy polling :)

Bitbat

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Right so I want to see your guys opinion on this.

I completely understand the importants of both. People watching your videos gives watch time and engagement. Views can also lead to comments which is a very important feed back on weather your content is good or not. Subscribers on the other hand is a counter of people who are going to be updated when ever you upload which leads to consistent views. Now on the most part subscribers show how many people like your content so much so they hit the subscribe button.

But a major thing for smaller youtubers is that they recieve subscribers that expect them to subscribe back and they have no interest in your content. Even bigger youtubers can have a huge amount of subscribers but low amount of views. This can be because of many reasons, one being that thier audiance grew tired of their content and the creator just couldn't bring them back.

high views though doesn't equal high watch time. Luckily youtube has given pleanty of tools to check our analytics but you could get 1,000 views but 910 of them clicked to another video after a minute. There are tones of cases out there where youtubers get more views than they have subscribers. Childrens channels for example.

Last point, I have a bad habbit of enjoying a channle but never subscribing. Doesn't make sense I know but I look up their channel or their channel is suggested to me and I watch every video they upload.

I am aware this topic is very situational but it's just a bit of fun. It will also be very interesting to hear peoples view points that are much more expirenced than me. Happy polling :)
As a co owner of tanookialex's channel, i would say that we defintely get more views than subscribers. Everyone just knows her as “the person who did this video” and since most of the people are kids(under 12 and cannot have a youtube account) they do not subscribe to her.

I have to disagree and say that subscribers are more important

And then, quality subscribers are more important than just subscribers.

Here is why

Let's say you upload a video and have a small channel with 100 quality subscribers who have notifications enabled.

Your content gets organically watched and shared, liked and/or commented on.

This i feel causes the algorithm to suggest you in other parts of youtube (related videos, search results) more than a video with a high view count.

Then, your content spreading begets more subscribers, and then more organic views and you start to see that snowball effect we all want.

A bunch of views aren't indicative to youtube of a general good channel.

Ever come across a video with 500,000 or even a million views, but that channel has like, 50 subscribers?

What does their other content look like?

One video catching fire doesn't mean that the channel grows, and you can buy views that stick even though YouTube tries hard to catch the traffic that isn't genuine.

So yes, views are good, but from a growth perspective I'd rather have quality subscribers any day.

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Watch time is the most important metric on the platform. Watch time and audience retention. A view if it's only 5 seconds on a 10 minute video in the grand scheme of things isn't that important. Subscribers aren't important if they don't watch your content.

Watch time is the main metric at this point in time, but like many things on YouTube it can change.

I'd say that what most YouTubers starting don't understand is defining WHO you're trying to reach with your content. If you get 1 million subscribers on your gaming channel from a video about a baby stroller, then you built an audience around content you didn't want to create.

Define what you want to create, who your ideal viewer is, and create content that serves that audience.

I'd say that what most YouTubers starting don't understand is defining WHO you're trying to reach with your content. If you get 1 million subscribers on your gaming channel from a video about a baby stroller, then you built an audience around content you didn't want to create.
I had this exact same problem.

Before YouTube will allow you to upload long videos there was a 3-part documentary about a bodybuilder.

I took all three parts and made it into one hour-long documentary and manage to have that video get over a million views which caused me to get about five thousand subscribers.

the problem was that my channel is geared towards people who aren't bodybuilders but like Fitness so I had very low engagement on my videos but a lot of subscribers.

If you post a video about soccer, all you do is talk about baseball the thousands of subscribers gained from that soccer video or not interested in baseball just like the situation you cited above.

Tito Tim

TubeBuddy User
Both are important, in their own ways, but I think views are more important. An active subscriber is a good thing... but a million subs that do not watch, does not help.

I am trying to get my sub numbers up, because 75% of my views come from non-subs. When someone subs it tells me they like my content enough that they plan on coming back... sounds good anyway... My views & subs are both increasing, but the subs is coming up slower.

VIews are what drives YT - whether the views come from subs or not. (well views, retention, interactions etc, but it starts with a view)

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I had this exact same problem.

Before YouTube will allow you to upload long videos there was a 3-part documentary about a bodybuilder.

I took all three parts and made it into one hour-long documentary and manage to have that video get over a million views which caused me to get about five thousand subscribers.

the problem was that my channel is geared towards people who aren't bodybuilders but like Fitness so I had very low engagement on my videos but a lot of subscribers.

If you post a video about soccer, all you do is talk about baseball the thousands of subscribers gained from that soccer video or not interested in baseball just like the situation you cited above.
Sorry to hear that ☹ I hope you were able to learn from it and move forward :)