• Guest NEW FORUM SECTION! Click Here to learn more!

Opinion James Charles and his fans win a copyright claim against YT!

BraveStarrTG

Life Is A Game
That is awesome and I hope this is the beginning of fairness for both the owners of the copyrighted material and those of us who use it fairly.

Carlos Pacheco

TubeBuddy User
trulyinc.com
I have issues when they say 'against YT' fundamentally its Sony thats the culprit and pulling the strings and often the decision is made by someone at the rights holding company.
I manage a music CMS and there's a consistent stream of potential claims that the system picks up. From my end, I do my best not to blanket claim. You really have to be greedy to claim videos like this, its a manual process and most companies just blanket claim because 9/10 the creator won't fight.

Reactions: Andrew
OP
OP
Andrew

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
I have issues when they say 'against YT' fundamentally its Sony thats the culprit and pulling the strings and often the decision is made by someone at the rights holding company.
I manage a music CMS and there's a consistent stream of potential claims that the system picks up. From my end, I do my best not to blanket claim. You really have to be greedy to claim videos like this, its a manual process and most companies just blanket claim because 9/10 the creator won't fight.
I agree with this, the article sums up most of the case well. I agree when they ACTUALLY infringe on rights, go after.

Reactions: Carlos Pacheco

Tito Tim

TubeBuddy User
Glad to see he won. But I have a problem...
This was pretty unprecedented in the world of YouTube - Content ID (YouTube's internal system) usually only flags actual uses of a song - not covers which feature none of the original track.
What kind of garbage is that? Here in the Philippines karaoke is everywhere (like a plague ha ha). If there is just a midi track of a song on the background it gets flagged. I have to remove every trace of the background songs or I get hit. Between BMG and LatinAutor (whatever that is) we can't get anything passed them. All the vloggers here complain about it. It is the main reason I now just film shots and do voice over at home - I mute almost all clips (or turn the volume down about 90%).