YouTube News Playing with longer vids - less ad revenue?

Tito Tim

TubeBuddy User
I recently went to the island of Boracay (Philippines). I have been there numerous times and on 3 or 4 visits I made videos. Usually 4-6 vids per visit. This time I just did not feel like it, so I made one long video. Generally my vids are 10-15 minutes. This one is 39 minutes. I put all 3 days in one vid. Part of the reason was because I have done playlists of the island a few times and just was not into it. So I figured... why not?

It has been out for about 2 weeks so it is pretty stagnant now. All I usually get is a good week on a vid's life. Only 900 views, not too great in YT numbers, but good for my channel. I noticed something about the analytics. 25% of the viewers turned it off in the first 25 seconds. Seems a bit quick, and a lot of them. However 25% of the viewers watched the entire 39 minutes. Seems pretty good. So the average view duration is almost 14 minutes (33% of the vid). I am pretty happy with that. That seems like a good percentage watching the entire vid. For the channel my view duration hovers around 4 minutes.

But I wonder if I am losing ad revenue by not making multiple vids? I notice shows like Ellen, and Kimmel will flood half a dozen vids a day, but only 2 or 3 minutes each. Making people watch more ads before each vid. (but the big TV shows have a big audience that will watch every single vid, I do not) With a longer vid do I lose out? I make so little, I guess it hardly matters, but I should try to maximize when I can. As I said the playlists generally don't perform too well, though. The first vid gets good numbers and each successive video gets less. I am going to watch it over time and see.

I have been experimenting lately, just trying to liven things up for myself ha ha. I am doing more of the 'day in the life', wandering around vids. My viewers love them, and they are super easy to make. Boring (to me) but they are popular, and somehow generate subs (I really don't get it). I am also playing with different lengths to see what performs better. I just made another 'grocery shopping' vid - those do amazingly well. I am still getting views on my 2017 vid. This time I did a comparison of 2017 to 2019 prices. People really like those (and they are also super easy to make).

I guess each channel/base will have some differences, but are there any standards or recommended lengths? I know we need to experiment to see what works for us... but are there already some experiments we can rely on? Is every channel going to be different? (probably, yes)

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I recently went to the island of Boracay (Philippines). I have been there numerous times and on 3 or 4 visits I made videos. Usually 4-6 vids per visit. This time I just did not feel like it, so I made one long video. Generally my vids are 10-15 minutes. This one is 39 minutes. I put all 3 days in one vid. Part of the reason was because I have done playlists of the island a few times and just was not into it. So I figured... why not?

It has been out for about 2 weeks so it is pretty stagnant now. All I usually get is a good week on a vid's life. Only 900 views, not too great in YT numbers, but good for my channel. I noticed something about the analytics. 25% of the viewers turned it off in the first 25 seconds. Seems a bit quick, and a lot of them. However 25% of the viewers watched the entire 39 minutes. Seems pretty good. So the average view duration is almost 14 minutes (33% of the vid). I am pretty happy with that. That seems like a good percentage watching the entire vid. For the channel my view duration hovers around 4 minutes.

But I wonder if I am losing ad revenue by not making multiple vids? I notice shows like Ellen, and Kimmel will flood half a dozen vids a day, but only 2 or 3 minutes each. Making people watch more ads before each vid. (but the big TV shows have a big audience that will watch every single vid, I do not) With a longer vid do I lose out? I make so little, I guess it hardly matters, but I should try to maximize when I can. As I said the playlists generally don't perform too well, though. The first vid gets good numbers and each successive video gets less. I am going to watch it over time and see.

I have been experimenting lately, just trying to liven things up for myself ha ha. I am doing more of the 'day in the life', wandering around vids. My viewers love them, and they are super easy to make. Boring (to me) but they are popular, and somehow generate subs (I really don't get it). I am also playing with different lengths to see what performs better. I just made another 'grocery shopping' vid - those do amazingly well. I am still getting views on my 2017 vid. This time I did a comparison of 2017 to 2019 prices. People really like those (and they are also super easy to make).

I guess each channel/base will have some differences, but are there any standards or recommended lengths? I know we need to experiment to see what works for us... but are there already some experiments we can rely on? Is every channel going to be different? (probably, yes)
What is your average watch time and percentage? Those videos are shorter because shorter videos are easier to keep people watching, but if you can get good watch retention from longer content go for it!

Beanie Draws

In terms of ad revenue, do you include mid roll ads? If now and you're relying on just pre-roll and post rolls ads than naturally short form videos are going to get more ad revenue because you have more of them. The topic and genre of the video itself will also effect the kind of revenue you get from a video as well and I'm guessing the length of a video could contribute as well.

25% of your audience watching your entire video is a really good thing! I know experts say to aim above 50% and technically yeah, you should... but my videos are often 20-50 minutes and I average around 10% watch time for those, and 30% for my 3-5 min videos, but 20-30% of 3-5 minute is a lot less watch time than 10% of 40 minutes, at least I think so anyway.

If your longer form videos perform better, go with those. if people make it more than half way into a long form video, and don't make it the same distance in a short form video, if you ad midroll ads in between both videos, the long form will technically generate more ad revenue because more people have actually made it to the mid roll to see it.

But because ad revenue is so insignificant, it's really how much of your video is being enjoyed by your audience. If they prefer long form, go with that, if they prefer short form, go with that. You also have a community tab if you have over 1000 subscribers, and the fact you even get ads means you've hit that milestone, so make yourself some polls in your community tab and ask your audience which type of video they prefer and use that as a starting basis to decide which you should focus more of your attention on :)

It's an interesting topic :)

OP
OP
Tito Tim

Tito Tim

TubeBuddy User
In terms of ad revenue, do you include mid roll ads?
I was looking at the ad types. I have all of them checked but did not see mid-roll ads. I am unsure if I have them or not. I have checked Overlay, Sponsored Cards, Skippable, and Non-skippable. I do see how to manually put in ad breaks, but I have never done that.

What is your average watch time and percentage?
For the channel my view duration hovers around 4 minutes, view percentage is about 38%

But because ad revenue is so insignificant, it's really how much of your video is being enjoyed by your audience. If they prefer long form, go with that, if they prefer short form, go with that. You also have a community tab if you have over 1000 subscribers, and the fact you even get ads means you've hit that milestone, so make yourself some polls in your community tab and ask your audience which type of video they prefer and use that as a starting basis to decide which you should focus more of your attention on
I have done some polls, and compared the results to similar vids. And it amuses me what is more popular - day in the life, wandering the city while babbling etc... They love that stuff. It takes almost no work to film or edit, but are not as much fun for me ha ha... life is tough all over. My most popular are the house building vids. 4 year old vids are still outperforming new stuff. There are a couple house building vids that are always in the top 10 of every month - after 4 years? Too bad i cannot build another house ha ha

I have seen some guys that do daily vlogs. Mostly just chatting while running errands or going to lunch - and they are 30-40 minutes every day. I enjoy some of those, but cannot watch that much every day. It works for them so I figured I would try it with a few, just to see. This beach trip was a good one to try, I think, because I already have 3 or 4 big playlists of prior trips (a world class tourist beach, not far from the house). May as well test it on this. It will give me something to compare it to as well. And after a while I can compare revenue between to long & short form.

I am currently only making like $50 a month. Not a lot of subs, not sure how to gets things rolling faster. It is steadily improving, but painfully slow. I figured to test some stuff and see what works... but not change things too much; I don't want to scare off my current subs (a small but active group).

I love the analytics, I am a numbers guy... it is a disease ha ha... I have spreadsheets to keep up with my spreadsheets...