YouTube News Does YouTube Count Watch Times On Downloaded Videos?

Ikerot

Not a mod
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
I've been thinking about this for a while.

One of the features you get as a premium user is that you can download videos for offline watch. I use this for my playlist so I can listen to music in my car without using up my data. But if these are "offline," do they still count as views? I would think they do, or else these artists are missing on all of my "watch time" and I listen to them a lot.

RazzBarlow

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I don't see how they could track offline views, unless there is back-door YouTube spyware on every device that has ever downloaded anything.

Beanie Draws

Do the downloaded videos work more as rented downloads where they expire over time? They can't count the watch time, but I imagine it would be a flat... reward rate. You get paid a flat rate per download instead of per minute.

Wait... this isn't about ads is it, it's about watch time and views? :p sorry still waking up.
Perhaps there some tiny spyware in each video that counts how much of a video was watched, and once your device is online again, it reports back to youtube how long the video was watched for. They'd still count as views, the download itself would act as the view. the watch time is a more interesting one though.

OP
OP
Ikerot

Ikerot

Not a mod
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
Do the downloaded videos work more as rented downloads where they expire over time? They can't count the watch time, but I imagine it would be a flat... reward rate. You get paid a flat rate per download instead of per minute.
That is also another explanation. They do remove your downloads if you don't have internet for 30 days (if I remember correctly)

Wait... this isn't about ads is it, it's about watch time and views? :p sorry still waking up.
Haha. I mean, I never thought about the ads until now.

Perhaps there some tiny spyware in each video that counts how much of a video was watched, and once your device is online again, it reports back to youtube how long the video was watched for. They'd still count as views, the download itself would act as the view. the watch time is a more interesting one though.
:thinking::thinking:

Bitbat

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I've been thinking about this for a while.

One of the features you get as a premium user is that you can download videos for offline watch. I use this for my playlist so I can listen to music in my car without using up my data. But if these are "offline," do they still count as views? I would think they do, or else these artists are missing on all of my "watch time" and I listen to them a lot.
I don't think it counts as watch time.

BraveStarrTG

Life Is A Game
Subscriber Goal
I don't know if it does or doesn't but I also don't see how it wouldn't. Remember, you're downloading the video in order to see it offline but it's still inside of Youtube's system. The only difference between watching it livestreamed vs downloaded is that you have the video already downloaded when watching it offline. When you livestream it (by livestreaming I mean watching it without downloading) you still have to download the video onto your PC through the browser in order to display it. Youtube can simply have the number of times you played it uploaded onto the Youtube servers for that video whenever an internet connection is detected.

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
From what I saw a while back when they first released the feature, is that they assume the user watches the whole thing. That said haven't heard an update since.