• Guest FORUM patch notes JUNE! Click Here to learn more!

Life I Never Actually Considered A Career In Film Making Till Now

BraveStarrTG

Life Is A Game
I remember when I was a kid I used to love drawing houses but I always used a ruler. I was never really good at freehand drawing. That's when I decided I wanted to be an architect. But as I got older I realized that career was slowly dying as PC made it easier for just about anyone to be one so I looked elsewhere. I eventually wanted to do PC repair and then IT because I'm really good with PCs. But I never got a chance to get a degree in that and I was never able to get a chance to work in an IT dept without one. I even considered a degree in law after working at an attorney's office. I was pretty good at everything I worked at so I figured I could study it and make a career out of it. But I just never got a chance to get a degree.

Interestingly enough all of this experience has allowed me to be very knowledgable of a lot of things in life and now that I am trying to make videos for Youtube as a hobby and hopefully as a career, I figured why not look into film making and such. Like PC repair and IT, film making is the kind of career that is booming at the moment. I don't currently have the hardware to properly do film making or photography on my own but I could look into that as a good camera that can also take good video is a useful tool for videos on Youtube. So, I've decided to look into getting a degree in photo and film making to see how that goes.

There's not much a guy my age can do these days as I am already considered old and as time passes it will be harder for me to find a good job so I may as well go the self-employed way. Any ideas or suggestions on how to start would be appreciated. I know @Aaron has some experience in this area. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

TanookiAlex

TubeBuddy Star
My advice to get into film is to take a high school course on nights called TEJ101. Its the one i am currently taking and will look good on your resume when applying. TEJ101 is basically communications technologies, where you learn how to dolly, edit, and more. I personally took the course as i plan to go into it as well. In Canada and america, it is offered. Great course and i definitely recommend it.

OP
OP
BraveStarrTG

BraveStarrTG

Life Is A Game
I think I'm way my high school days. But I'm sure I can find the equivalent in a tech school or something.

Aaron

I remember when I was a kid I used to love drawing houses but I always used a ruler. I was never really good at freehand drawing. That's when I decided I wanted to be an architect. But as I got older I realized that career was slowly dying as PC made it easier for just about anyone to be one so I looked elsewhere. I eventually wanted to do PC repair and then IT because I'm really good with PCs. But I never got a chance to get a degree in that and I was never able to get a chance to work in an IT dept without one. I even considered a degree in law after working at an attorney's office. I was pretty good at everything I worked at so I figured I could study it and make a career out of it. But I just never got a chance to get a degree.

Interestingly enough all of this experience has allowed me to be very knowledgable of a lot of things in life and now that I am trying to make videos for Youtube as a hobby and hopefully as a career, I figured why not look into film making and such. Like PC repair and IT, film making is the kind of career that is booming at the moment. I don't currently have the hardware to properly do film making or photography on my own but I could look into that as a good camera that can also take good video is a useful tool for videos on Youtube. So, I've decided to look into getting a degree in photo and film making to see how that goes.

There's not much a guy my age can do these days as I am already considered old and as time passes it will be harder for me to find a good job so I may as well go the self-employed way. Any ideas or suggestions on how to start would be appreciated. I know @Aaron has some experience in this area. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
I'm not the guy to ask for film advice... that'd be Andrew and its likely he will have a very different opinion from me as we've gone about our careers in very different ways.

I can tell you from a Photographer's perspective that a degree is useless. You'd be better off having a degree in communications or business and then learning Photography online (in my opinion) because Photography is more about skill than it is a piece of paper. The business/communications degree would make you a good hire if you wanted to work for someone and if you want to work for yourself the knowledge from the degree will help you.

kachdu

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy Pro

Hey there. I can understand what you are saying. I am a lawyer in India that is pursuing youtube as his passion. I am a self taught photographer and youtuber.
1. There's literally no point in getting a degree in photography unless you know a company (governmental or private) that hires photographers with degrees only and you just want to work with them.
Further when you say you're old, I don't think you can afford wasting time learning theory while getting that degree. So I'd suggest drop it. Most jobs in photography are handed out through connections or people who admire your skills or if you gain some following, people approach you. What I'm saying is a degree is hardly an impediment seeking out a job in photography. It's more about what you can do.
  1. There are some skills you can't learn on the internet like arguing in a court like a professional legal advisor and then there are some that you can like photography. We are living in such a golden age of free information that basics of Photography and film making are available to all courtesy youtube. I'd reckon you learn from there. I have. After that you can learn from paid courses on udemy and other websites when you need help in specific areas. It will be least costly and easiest way to learn.
  2. Most of your learning will come from practice in this field. After you have learnt the basics you just need to practice more and more . Take out your camera and go to places and just shoot photographs make vlogs etc. Hone your skills. I thought it was stupid to say that first 10,000 photographs you shoot are your worst but they really are. I have experienced the same.
  3. If you need advice to buy gear hit me up in a message with your budget and use case, I'll suggest one.
  4. One more thing I want to say is rather than getting a new degree, you should try to find ways to incorporate the knowledge you have gained so far into new work. Like your degree in Architecture has some insights that many architectural photographers will be missing in their work. Try to figure it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: BraveStarrTG

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
I got my degree. It's a piece of paper that says I showed up and listened. However, I would say you can learn so much from YouTubers on editing, little, audio, etc.

I've learned more working for TB and going out making things. The truth is you don't need a degree for film. You need an idea and your unique voice on it. You may be the one to tell or teach that story in a way that resonates.

I'd say do some online courses, skill share comes to mind, thinkific as well. It's something I love doing. I didn't need a degree to do it though.

OP
OP
BraveStarrTG

BraveStarrTG

Life Is A Game
I'm not the guy to ask for film advice... that'd be Andrew and its likely he will have a very different opinion from me as we've gone about our careers in very different ways.

I can tell you from a Photographer's perspective that a degree is useless. You'd be better off having a degree in communications or business and then learning Photography online (in my opinion) because Photography is more about skill than it is a piece of paper. The business/communications degree would make you a good hire if you wanted to work for someone and if you want to work for yourself the knowledge from the degree will help you.
Thanks for the reply. I get what you mean about the degree in photography. Personally, I just want at least the basics but if I can pick that up on my own then better. Save some mula. I definitely wanna look into business if I plan on going the self-employed route.

Hey there. I can understand what you are saying. I am a lawyer in India that is pursuing youtube as his passion. I am a self taught photographer and youtuber.
1. There's literally no point in getting a degree in photography unless you know a company (governmental or private) that hires photographers with degrees only and you just want to work with them.
Further when you say you're old, I don't think you can afford wasting time learning theory while getting that degree. So I'd suggest drop it. Most jobs in photography are handed out through connections or people who admire your skills or if you gain some following, people approach you. What I'm saying is a degree is hardly an impediment seeking out a job in photography. It's more about what you can do.
  1. There are some skills you can't learn on the internet like arguing in a court like a professional legal advisor and then there are some that you can like photography. We are living in such a golden age of free information that basics of Photography and film making are available to all courtesy youtube. I'd reckon you learn from there. I have. After that you can learn from paid courses on udemy and other websites when you need help in specific areas. It will be least costly and easiest way to learn.
  2. Most of your learning will come from practice in this field. After you have learnt the basics you just need to practice more and more . Take out your camera and go to places and just shoot photographs make vlogs etc. Hone your skills. I thought it was stupid to say that first 10,000 photographs you shoot are your worst but they really are. I have experienced the same.
  3. If you need advice to buy gear hit me up in a message with your budget and use case, I'll suggest one.
  4. One more thing I want to say is rather than getting a new degree, you should try to find ways to incorporate the knowledge you have gained so far into new work. Like your degree in Architecture has some insights that many architectural photographers will be missing in their work. Try to figure it out.
I hear ya. I've been told so many times that I need college to make a better future that I seem to assume everything needs a degree these days. Youtube is definitely free college if you think about it. My knowledge on PCs and tech in general are extreme considering I watch so many videos and put a lot of that stuff to work for myself. Heck, all the video and photo editing I know came from watching Youtube videos. I just gotta figure out how to use all this knowledge in a way that I can benefit financially because lets face it, no matter how much I enjoy any of it as a hobby, I still need to pay bills. Thank you for the reply.

I got my degree. It's a piece of paper that says I showed up and listened. However, I would say you can learn so much from YouTubers on editing, little, audio, etc.

I've learned more working for TB and going out making things. The truth is you don't need a degree for film. You need an idea and your unique voice on it. You may be the one to tell or teach that story in a way that resonates.

I'd say do some online courses, skill share comes to mind, thinkific as well. It's something I love doing. I didn't need a degree to do it though.
I figured at least a degree in filmmaking would be useful but maybe not. LOL. All I wanna do is find something that I like, that I can enjoy and make it into a business so I can break the chains of being someone else lackey for minimal wages. Even if this knowledge serves me outside of Youtube it would be great. I'd settle for working for someone who has a channel or has a business related to Youtube, like TubeBuddy. Thanks for the reply.

Bitbat

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy User

There are many com tech courses that you can take, and there are video editing courses on things such as Skillshare that you can use to help improve your video editing skills.
Coursera offers free courses if you're interested.

RazzBarlow

TubeBuddy Pro
Old??? You're old? I'm a 55 year old YouTube Noob!! (YouNoob??) The more I do this, the more I realize what I DON'T know! I'm just trying to be a sponge and absorb as much as I can.

Aaron

I'm 43, I'm old by my kids standard. Stress makes me feel like I'm 60. :D
Old??? You're old? I'm a 55 year old YouTube Noob!! (YouNoob??) The more I do this, the more I realize what I DON'T know! I'm just trying to be a sponge and absorb as much as I can.
Y'all are both young guys in my opinion. I tried and failed to teach my dad Photography and he is 70 LOL. Wanted to learn to do what I do to prove it was easy... I proved him wrong.

I'm a firm believer you can learn at any age because I've helped people over 60 learn but I do think it requires a certain type of mind.

• Love
OP
OP
BraveStarrTG

BraveStarrTG

Life Is A Game
Y'all are both young guys in my opinion. I tried and failed to teach my dad Photography and he is 70 LOL. Wanted to learn to do what I do to prove it was easy... I proved him wrong.

I'm a firm believer you can learn at any age because I've helped people over 60 learn but I do think it requires a certain type of mind.
My mom is close to 70 and only now is she getting used to using a smartphone and only a couple of weeks ago did my sister create a facebook account for her. The irony, I deleted mine a little over a month ago. Hahaha

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
Hey, degrees don't make film makers. Films do that. Degrees don't make photographers. Photographs do that. Learn enough to shoot a 5 minute film this week. Learn enough photography to shoot 50 good shots to put on Instagram this week. Degrees are just an excuse not to get to work. If you have a cell phone, you can shoot a film and take photos. If you don't think you can, then your probably not a filmmaker or a photographer.

OP
OP
BraveStarrTG

BraveStarrTG

Life Is A Game
Hey, degrees don't make film makers. Films do that. Degrees don't make photographers. Photographs do that. Learn enough to shoot a 5 minute film this week. Learn enough photography to shoot 50 good shots to put on Instagram this week. Degrees are just an excuse not to get to work. If you have a cell phone, you can shoot a film and take photos. If you don't think you can, then your probably not a filmmaker or a photographer.
I hear ya. I'm so used to being told I need a degree for everything that I keep seeing the world as if I need a degree just to flip burgers. I'm actually gonna start doing that. I have a decent camera on my wife's phone. Gonna take advantage of the tropical atmosphere I'm in and see what I can come up with for both film and photos. Then I'm gonna immerse myself in a ton of Youtube videos on color correction and more.

Reactions: Aaron

Ikerot

Not a mod
Ikerot.com
I hear ya. I'm so used to being told I need a degree for everything that I keep seeing the world as if I need a degree just to flip burgers. I'm actually gonna start doing that. I have a decent camera on my wife's phone. Gonna take advantage of the tropical atmosphere I'm in and see what I can come up with for both film and photos. Then I'm gonna immerse myself in a ton of Youtube videos on color correction and more.
I think the world is changing day by day. I mean, a big example would be Casey Neistat himself. He had no degree in filmmaking, but here he is, making great videos. The same with Julien Solomita. He never went to film school, but his cinematography is amazing.

As a way to start, you can always look at other people's videos. I learn a lot from watching and trying to figure out how they do certain edits and such. If I have a problem on replicating it, then I'll search up how to edit this, this, and this.

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
@Ikerot Yup! This! The best way to learn filmmaking is to watch tons of films, analyze, then try to replicate. T.V. shows as well. You already know the language of motion picture. You may not know the technical terms, but that's easy to fix. Three books I've found indispensable:

How to Shoot Video That Doesn't Suck
The DSLR Filmmaker's Handbook
Documentary Storytelling

NOTE: These are not affiliate links. I read these over and over. Remember I'm working on a film now titled Sugar, Fly. It's about a guy building a boat and trying to reverse diabetes, a disease that took his sister's life. I've never been to film school, but I'm shooting a film, and I'm about to launch an Indiegogo campaign to help fund it. At some point you have to get off the conveyor belt.

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
I figured at least a degree in filmmaking would be useful but maybe not. LOL. All I wanna do is find something that I like, that I can enjoy and make it into a business so I can break the chains of being someone else lackey for minimal wages. Even if this knowledge serves me outside of Youtube it would be great. I'd settle for working for someone who has a channel or has a business related to Youtube, like TubeBuddy. Thanks for the reply.
What benefited me was having a body of work I was able to show. That way they knew some of what I could offer. A Demo reel :)