• Guest FORUM patch notes JUNE! Click Here to learn more!

Community Bad news.

Bitbat

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy User
I am somewhat affected by .However i feel very worried for my favorite content creators in the European Union because their content is at risk. I suggest they go and change it so it only counts for music and not everything else.
I wish since it would be such a major loss to the economy in europe that they would simply revert it back.
Does the law even expire?

Last edited:

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
It doesn't effect me stateside, but I think the key thing to do is wait for more information before jumping into terror mode. AS it stands, we can only play with the hands we are dealt, and hope that enough noise is made. However, it seems to effect the people who utilize other content without permission, but it isn't clear what that means.

Reactions: Bitbat and Aaron
OP
OP
TanookiAlex

TanookiAlex

TubeBuddy Star
I agree with your opinion, Andrew. I'm just worried about my viewers, who 10% are european. I don't want them to miss out on my videos. So many other creators have quit because of this law, but i'm not giving up.

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
I agree with your opinion, Andrew. I'm just worried about my viewers, who 10% are european. I don't want them to miss out on my videos. So many other creators have quit because of this law, but i'm not giving up.
Again, as the law currently goes, you should be fine as long as WE as creators don't break the rule in our content. HOWEVER, I am against the rule and have been, but it's too late for that now :/

BraveStarrTG

Life Is A Game
The biggest problem we have is that the world change a lot faster these days than it did 50 to 100 years ago and many, while ok with adapting to today's world for their own benefit, have a hard time accepting constant, quick change when it has a negative affect on them. The same people who might scream copy right when someone uses their videos might not care when they use someone else things for their own benefit.

Reactions: Bitbat

Bitbat

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy User
Again, as the law currently goes, you should be fine as long as WE as creators don't break the rule in our content. HOWEVER, I am against the rule and have been, but it's too late for that now :/
I am against the rule because it ends up hurting the people it's supposed to protect.

BraveStarrTG

Life Is A Game
I don't really know enough about, but if it is about copyright... original content creators should have nothing to worry about. Can people still use clips from a movie trailer for a review?
That is kinda what seems to be the issue with this law. That which is considered fair use in the US, even obvious fair use, will now be considered illegal in the EU due to this law unless people get permission/license to use the content. In essence, the concept of doing a movie review, especially one that is negative towards a movie, will likely be considered illegal without permission from the studio that owns the movie rights to use footage from the movie such as the trailer or maybe even images from posters and such. The law is simply too broad and doesn't specify at what point is something illegal or not and thus it basically makes everyone guilty till proved innocent.

It's the equivalent of punishing everyone in a classroom for the mischief of one to ensure everyone else avoids making the same mistake.

kunicross

TubeBuddy Pro
Being European im somewhat afflicted but actually I don't think it'll affect YouTube much since content Id is up and running for quite some time with all it's upsides and flaws on the other hand it will very certainly kill of every small completion as well as the chance for other competitors to emerge.

Also it will take a bit of time till the whole thing is put into the national laws of all the EU nations, knowing my German government(s) they'll give us one of the worst versions bit with some luck its so bad it'll be impossible to enforce any point of it and then will get kicked out by our Supreme Court who knows.

Also YouTube might be going to verify your identity further then just your phone number in Europe.

Also I guess in the end if somebody tries to sue youtube they'll just fight it till the highest instance and get it overturned since making youtube liable is a little bit like making your ISP liable for all your trolling or your car manufacturer for you driving bad.

One the other hand something that can happen as well is, that if the eu changes it once more for the better it will take decades till its purged from the national laws.

Last edited:

Dimi

TubeBuddy User
I wonder if it'll be enough to use a non-EU VPN? If not, I'll just have to move to Norway, problem solved.