• Guest FORUM patch notes JUNE! Click Here to learn more!

Seeking Advice YouTube vids behind a Patreon paywall

Tito Tim

TubeBuddy User
I have been trying to post YT vids regularly on Mon & Fri. I tend to get ahead of myself and have vids scheduled 2 or 3 weeks in advance. I had an idea for the unpublished vids and Patreon, but am unsure how to do it.

I have not really pushed my Patreon much, I had a couple Patrons but no longer have them. I do not want to have 'free' vids and 'pay' vids but thought I could give early access to my finished vids, behind Patreon's paywall. The problem I see (if I understand it correctly) is that YT scheduled vids are actually 'private' until the scheduled publish date. Meaning no sharing the link, or comments allowed. To share early access I think I would have to make the vids 'unlisted'? If I do that I can post them behind the paywall on Patreon, people can view them, and comment. But then I would have to keep up with making them 'public' on time - without the scheduler.

Is there a better way to share early access? I really like scheduling the vids so I can forget about them, until they go public. I also want to try and get some Patreon action ha ha.

Ikerot

Not a mod
Ikerot.com
You'd have to schedule it manually (leave it on unlisted and a reminder to publicize it later). Or add in Patron's emails, which could get bothersome once you have a lot or if they aren't patrons anymore.

I usually leave it up to TB for scheduled publishing. It allows you to have your video unlisted and it'll automatically publicize it on whatever date you've put. It requires the Star license though :x

Reactions: Aaron
OP
OP
Tito Tim

Tito Tim

TubeBuddy User
...I usually leave it up to TB for scheduled publishing. It allows you to have your video unlisted and it'll automatically publicize it on whatever date you've put. It requires the Star license though :x
Hmm... that could be a good reason to upgrade. So far the free service has done everything I need.
I really just make vids for a hobby... but making a little money would not be a bad thing ha ha

Reactions: BraveStarrTG

Infraction

Newbie Member
create a new channel and post your unlisted videos there. then post them to Patreon. that way the only people that
know about these videos will be your Patreons

BraveStarrTG

Life Is A Game
create a new channel and post your unlisted videos there. then post them to Patreon. that way the only people that
That is somewhat of a good idea, the only problem is the channel is still visible if they click the "Youtube" link within the video that takes you to the YT video directly thus exposing the channel. But I guess since the video can only be seen with the link I guess you have to hope your patreons don't share the link and allow non-patreon viewers to see it. You could try making the video private but that will only allow up to 50 people to view it and they have to be added to a list in order to see it. If you end up with more than 50 patreons you'll have to find alternatives.

OP
OP
Tito Tim

Tito Tim

TubeBuddy User
But the new channel would likely never be monetized, and I would lose the viewership on my main channel... I would like to keep the views on the channel with ad revenue.

You could try making the video private but that will only allow up to 50 people to view it and they have to be added to a list in order to see it.
Wait... what... private vids can have a view list? I will have to look into that! If I ever get 50 Patrons I could then afford to upgrade TB to Star and use the scheduler here.

BraveStarrTG

Life Is A Game
Wait... what... private vids can have a view list? I will have to look into that! If I ever get 50 Patrons I could then afford to upgrade TB to Star and use the scheduler here.
Yea, I had no idea either till I looked it up to see the difference between private and unlisted. You have to add people's emails to a list and they get an email letting them know they can watch the video. It's an extra step but all you need is an email list you can copy/paste whenever you have a private email to share. You can also schedule the video to be set to public at a date of your choosing so everyone else can see it later.

OP
OP
Tito Tim

Tito Tim

TubeBuddy User
Wow, that was hard to find ha ha. I never could find it in Classic (google instructions failed spectacularly). I finally found it in Beta. In the individual video edit page, left column has Other Features/Share privately. I tested it with my email, on 3 vids. Still waiting to see if I get the email... I will try and view the vid while logged out... time will tell :)

If this works, it is exactly what I am looking for!

BraveStarrTG

Life Is A Game
Wow, that was hard to find ha ha. I never could find it in Classic (google instructions failed spectacularly). I finally found it in Beta. In the individual video edit page, left column has Other Features/Share privately. I tested it with my email, on 3 vids. Still waiting to see if I get the email... I will try and view the vid while logged out... time will tell :)

If this works, it is exactly what I am looking for!
Oh snap, I meant to point out where I found it on Classic Studio. I couldn't find it in the new Studio for the life of me. Thanks for finding it. The less I use classic the less I'll miss it when its gone.

Ikerot

Not a mod
Ikerot.com
I thought about the private system too, but I honestly feel like that's a bit of a pain to do. Especially if you start getting a lot of Patrons or some people stop being a Patron and you gotta go through the list.