Need Advice Noob question about release schedule and/or content length.

RazzBarlow

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I'm a brand-new YouTuber with a grand total of 12 videos, 3 of which I would call "creator content" videos. So...VERY new to this space and still making rookie mistakes. I committed to myself early that I would release a video every Tuesday morning with the idea of moving up to a second video release each week once I am ready. I feel the discipline of a regular release schedule is important. I want to be professional about this endeavor. The video that I have edited and ready to go next Tuesday is a how-to with detailed instructions. A step-by-step guide. It is long. 1h 45m long. I am pretty sure I can re-shoot it with modified content and faster pacing and bring it to around 40-50 minutes. If I go that route, I will not be able to release it on Tuesday morning. I don't have any "inventory" of videos ready to go, so nothing is there to replace it. My gut tells me that I should re-shoot this video even though it will cost me a week without a video. I could edit the current video to "Part 1" and "Part 2" or even "Part 3", but I think it would be a clumsy transition.

So, my options as I see them:
A: Release a long video that may lose interest with what few viewers I currently have.
B: Re-shoot the video and miss a release date and a personal goal
C: Edit the current video into a multi--part series.

What do you veterans think?

Tito Tim

TubeBuddy User
I like posting on a schedule but I allow myself some flexibility as well. This is the internet after all, not network TV.

Depending on what your 'how to' vid is about, could affect my decision on how to post it. My first thought was to publish the full vid (if you are happy with it). Then, you can either reshoot parts, or edit it down to part 1, part 2 etc. In the descriptions of all those vids make sure and put links to each of the others. Then put all of them in one playlist.

That way you stay on schedule, build your library, and give the viewers more options on how to watch the content (and you can monitor the analytics to which is more popular).

kunicross

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
In my experience multi part videos have a hugh drop in viewership from one part to each other while longer videos in general have a little less viewership and audience retention.
In the end the differences are not so big - if the content does work well as one single video I would let it that way - if it can be easily and good split into several parts do that.

Once you got more of a regular audience you should try out and consult your analytics what does work better with your specific audience and your stile of creating.

Basically if you are good at keeping a audience entertained and not switch to other videos a longer video will do better because actual watch time is about the most important thing and there are some people where you would like to watch a 4 hour video. (some Q&A videos I'm really Sad if they are Just one hour long...)

Many people will hesitate to click on a very long video but if the ones that do will watch very much of the videos length youtube will push that video much more than a short video people only watch a little part of.

Usually for a new creator it's relatively difficult to capture an audience for a long time so it might be better to keep the overall length of the video project shorter and maybe break it down into several standalone projects - for example if you would make a video about how to exchange a car tire you could do it in one video but you also could do how to check if your tire is still good, what tools do you need for a tire exchange , how to lift up your car, how to remove a tire, thinks you can easily check once you got the tires remove, how to put on new tires

If you do a multi part video where you name it part #1-#5 and to get the whole point you need to watch each part usually see a sharp drop between each part.

DragoNate

TubeBuddy Star
www.dragonate.info
Subscriber Goal
I personally would probably cut it into 3 parts, but also, if someone I watch, who I really like, released a video that long, I would probably watch it. I'm a bit different from the "average viewer" though, but I feel like it's easier to have a loyal audience at the beginning.
Whatever you do, don't stress over it too much. Missing our personal goals really suck sometimes, but it's not the end of the world and now, in the future, you'll have a better understanding/idea of how to meet them how you intend to :)

OP
OP
RazzBarlow

RazzBarlow

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Thanks to everyone who chimed in. I decided to re-shoot the video and make it shorter. I decided a quality product is what's most important.

TanookiAlex

TubeBuddy Star
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Sticking to a schedule is a great thing, however, it is ok to break it for holidays.

I think a fair schedule would be twice every month for me. Yes, i know it may be long, but i have school and other things to worry about. Twice a month is a good time if you don't want to upload often, however, i find daily uploads may be overwhelming to some viewers. Weekly uploads i would do if i can. It maxes out time for viewers to rest, and for you till rest until next video.

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
So watch time is KEY it's hard to get people to watch you ESPECIALLY when you're starting out, so keep that in mind. I'd focus on getting content that tells the message you want to convey, but also brings value to your audience :)

BraveStarrTG

Life Is A Game
Subscriber Goal
This is just my opinion but considering most of your videos are within the 5 to 15 minute range I think the reason it may not be doing so well is the title. I noticed most of the videos that had over 100 views had particular words that could draw peoples attention because of curiosity in my opinion. You used words like crash which everyone loves when it comes to cars, the word dwarf which could be seen as controversial and thus why it gets attention and idiot because people can't avoid the idea that someone can call themselves idiot thus they have to know why. But in this last video, you didn't use any kind of word that would immediately call attention. I'm not a car guy so I'm not sure what attention-grabbing word could be used in the title but I think you may wanna consider looking into changing the title, tweaking it, to include an attention-grabbing word like, maybe, awesome (Awesome Shock Rebuild - QA1 70 Series DIY racing shock)?

Also, if I may. I have one more suggestion. Perhaps you should consider making backup videos. Videos you are not in a hurry to upload, videos that can be uploaded at any time. These videos can be used as backups in case you have an issue with your schedule on your next video and are unable to keep that schedule. You can use these backup videos to fill in to give you more time to fix any issue you have with your current project. These can be short, simple videos that won't necessarily cut into your schedule with other videos. A short, simple How-To perhaps, a "What's In My Tool Box In My Car" for example or maybe even a short blooper reel. These can be very useful in my opinion to maintain a video schedule in case a problem arises with your current project.

OP
OP
RazzBarlow

RazzBarlow

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
This is just my opinion but considering most of your videos are within the 5 to 15 minute range I think the reason it may not be doing so well is the title. I noticed most of the videos that had over 100 views had particular words that could draw peoples attention because of curiosity in my opinion. You used words like crash which everyone loves when it comes to cars, the word dwarf which could be seen as controversial and thus why it gets attention and idiot because people can't avoid the idea that someone can call themselves idiot thus they have to know why. But in this last video, you didn't use any kind of word that would immediately call attention. I'm not a car guy so I'm not sure what attention-grabbing word could be used in the title but I think you may wanna consider looking into changing the title, tweaking it, to include an attention-grabbing word like, maybe, awesome (Awesome Shock Rebuild - QA1 70 Series DIY racing shock)?
Thanks for the input. I'll look at that.

Also, if I may. I have one more suggestion. Perhaps you should consider making backup videos. Videos you are not in a hurry to upload, videos that can be uploaded at any time. These videos can be used as backups in case you have an issue with your schedule on your next video and are unable to keep that schedule. You can use these backup videos to fill in to give you more time to fix any issue you have with your current project. These can be short, simple videos that won't necessarily cut into your schedule with other videos. A short, simple How-To perhaps, a "What's In My Tool Box In My Car" for example or maybe even a short blooper reel. These can be very useful in my opinion to maintain a video schedule in case a problem arises with your current project.
Yes, have been planning on doing that. Unfortunately have been very busy getting ready for race season (Opening Day: April 6th). I definitely want to have some backup videos "in the can" I changed the title of the video after your suggestion. We'll see if that helps. Thanks for the constructive criticism.

BraveStarrTG

Life Is A Game
Subscriber Goal
Yes, have been planning on doing that. Unfortunately have been very busy getting ready for race season (Opening Day: April 6th). I definitely want to have some backup videos "in the can" I changed the title of the video after your suggestion. We'll see if that helps. Thanks for the constructive criticism.
Ooooh, Life hack. I like that. Just may be what it needs. Might wanna include that in the tags if you didn't already.

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Regarding Scheduling
Man, I've tried schedules, but I can't stick too it. Makes me feel like I'm in a prison. I want to produce three to four videos per week. I can look at the numbers and see when it's time to produce a video. Four videos is almost too many video for my audience to keep up with. Numbers actually drop! I have a shoot-from-the-hip personality. Anything too fixed or finite, and I'll get suicidal very quickly.

Regarding Video Length
  • How-to content: two or three minutes long.
  • Fishing adventure content: 10 minutes.
This gives me a variety of short punchy content that ranks well, is highly searchable, and produces over a very long period of time.

As for longer content, I really want my fishing adventures to be like little 10 minute short documentary films. These take way more time to produce. They get people emotionally involved and usually have the greatest watch time, subscriber rates, click-through rates and everything. This may not be the most searchable content, but it definitely gets me the greatest results. It's like combining the Hero and Hub content into one form really. That's what movies do anyway. Films have a way of building a cult following as well as moving people emotionally.

In fact most of my sales don't come from me doing fishing tutorials. Tutorials are logical by nature. People don't buy based on logic. They buy based on emotion. It's only Hero content that binds them emotionally to your brand and makes them want to buy. Thus I believe every YouTuber needs to become a bit of a filmmaker or TV producer.

Last edited:

BraveStarrTG

Life Is A Game
Subscriber Goal
Regarding Scheduling
Man, I've tried schedules, but I can't stick too it. Makes me feel like I'm in a prison. I want to produce three to four videos per week. I can look at the numbers and see when it's time to produce a video. Four videos is almost too many video for my audience to keep up with. Numbers actually drop! I have a shoot-from-the-hip personality. Anything too fixed or finite, and I'll get suicidal very quickly.
My biggest issue with schedules is my inability to create content when I want to. If my kids are not out of school for whatever reason (sickness, teachers day off, early release, holiday), my neighbor decides randomly to use every loud device he has such as today where he started the morning by leaf blowing for about an hour followed by messing with his car, which has a really loud engine, for about another hour only to follow that with revving his extremely loud motorcycle. By the time he was done I had little time to record anything and I was already discouraged to record anything. So basically I have to take advantage of random moments of freedom to record and then spend a lot of time editing the audio to remove the noises I can't avoid such as the fan (it's too hot here not to have it on), vehicles passing by and the random loud person who walks by and says hi to someone real far away.