• Guest FORUM patch notes JUNE! Click Here to learn more!

Question How Difficult Is It To Be A Youtuber For You?

BraveStarrTG

Life Is A Game
Do you find it difficult to create videos for your YouTube channel? Do you have obstacles that keep you from trying to create or stick to schedules to create videos?

I always figured trying to be a YouTuber would be difficult. I had little experience with video editing, my hardware is extremely low quality and old and I'm still a little camera shy, especially with people around. But I never figure that just being able to create footage in order to produce a video to upload would be such a pain to the point of frustration and almost depression.

As a gamer, I figured the easiest way for me to get a foot into the Youtube world was to use my passion for gaming as my source for footage to create content for a channel. At first, it was mostly just gameplay with maybe a little bit of my voice here and there. During this time I did tons of research learning how to edit videos, create and add images and text and edit music. As I got better at videos and images I started creating my own logos, intros, outros, and banners. And eventually started adding commentary to my videos.

At first, it wasn't too hard to make videos. No commentary meant no worries that anyone around me would interrupt, disrupt or make me feel uncomfortable. I played when the kids were in school, rendered and uploaded while everyone slept. It got more difficult as my kids became more addicted to PC gaming but I pushed on.

These days it seems the more I try to make videos the more obstacles appear that keep me from getting anything done. This week alone I lost 4 days and the next 3 will be pointless to record as well.

Monday my 15-year-old was sick to his stomach almost vomiting (legitimately) so he stayed home. While here he would either watch TV or get on the PC and sometimes chat with friends who happen to be on Spring Break this week. On top of that the neighbor, who has a really loud Chevy Nova, decided to work o his engine thus making a ton of noise I could not block out. So I couldn't record.

Tuesday I had to take my 15 and 8-year-olds to an appointment with the pediatrist thus they missed school that day. My 15-year-old is already inconsiderate of the noise he makes and thus I can't record while he's home, my youngest is super hyper, loud, obnoxious and has zero understanding of consideration. So, no recording this day.

On Wednesday I had to take my mom to a doctors appointment. So First I took my sister to work in order to keep her car to take my mom to the doctor. I took the kids to school then took my mom to the appointment, 30 minutes away, getting stuck in traffic for at least an hour. I then had to rush back home to go to my son's school to sign some papers, then rush back to pick my mom up. Then I had to pick up my sister for lunch to return the car. At this point, I figured I had some time to record a little but nope. My wife harassed me to go out again to play some lottery tickets before the numbers came out. I had to walk to the store. Once more I tried to get some recording in before the kids got home only to have my wife call me to tell me my youngest got out at 2 PM. We didn't know about this because he didn't go to school the day before when they gave the notice of early release. There went the little time I had to record.

Today Thursday. What could possibly go wrong? Well, my 15-year-old didn't go to school because there was a field trip that he was not part of and there were only gonna be a handful of kids in school so he decided he wanted to stay home instead of being in a class with a few kids doing nothing all day. So again, no recording because he's already on the PC (which is in my room) while listening to YouTube videos on his phone really loud and will eventually start chatting with his friends who are on Spring Break. So, no recording today.

But what about Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Well, Saturday and Sunday everyone is home and awake at the same time so there is definitely no possibility of me recording commentary on these days. And Friday? Oh, the irony. It's a holiday here in Puerto Rico which means the kids get a long weekend. So, say it with me. No recording on Friday.

At this point, my only option is to wait till next week and hope no one gets sick, there are no holidays or field trips, no one needs to be taken to appointments and I am not in a mental hospital by then. But Monday is still 3 days away and we all know a lot can happen between now and then.

I have a few ideas that could solve some of these problems but it's gonna cost me thus it's gonna be a while before I can implement them. I'll have to move the desktop PC to the kid's room thus removing the annoyance of them being loud when playing and chatting with friends but I'll need a way to add ethernet to that room. Wifi is not useful in a house made mostly of concrete plus gaming on Wifi is terrible. That room will need an A/C because we don't have central air and that is the hottest room in the house. This will keep the kids on their room, out of mine thus more privacy and less noise.

So there it is. I never figured making YouTube videos was so difficult. There's an old saying: Misery loves company. So, anyone else have this much difficulty creating YouTube videos?

Reactions: Damon

Bitbat

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy User
@TanookiAlex has a lot of difficulty creating videos: You're not alone. We usually have to wait up to 10 hours just for our one minute clip to upload. It has integrated graphics and cannot export that well, and it cannot play games, really.
In addition to that, since she's a video editor that cannot afford the video editing software , we cracked it and sometimes it shows this red X when applying certain effects.

Last edited:

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
Dude, forget gaming videos, you've just stumbled onto what your YouTube channel could be. How many parents out there are trying to start something, but busy family life keeps getting in the way? Take us on that journey. Help people out. Begin experimenting with this problem, share what you've learned, and don't be afraid to share the successes and failures.

https://www.aslobcomesclean.com/manage-home-without-losing-mind/
This lady was a total slob at house keeping. all she did was keep trying and found solutions and started sharing that with people. This is what she does now.

Whenever you can touch a real spot of pain, you can have a real long-lasting business.

Yes, YouTubing is difficult, but that difficulty is part of the test. If you master it you have a story to tell, and a business to sustain your family. At some point your YouTube channel has to cease being about you and take on a bigger mission. You've just stumbled onto that.

For me it was being sick of not catching fish. Seeing all these other fishermen spending tons of cash, and they weren't catching fish either. Everything I do is about solving the basic problem of finding and triggering fish to bite. That started a business that continues to grow to this day.

This is a big opportunity for you. Seize it. If you don't someone else will, and they'll be the one with 100k subscribers that you could have had.

Last edited:

Bitbat

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy User
Grea
Dude, forget gaming videos, you've just stumbled onto what your YouTube channel could be. How many parents out there are trying to start something but busy family life keeps getting in the way. Take us on that journey. Help peopel out. Begin experimenting with this problem, share what you've leanreed, and don;t be afraid to share the successes and failures.

This lady was a total slob at house keeping. all she did was keep trying and found solutions and started sharing that with people. This is what she does now.

Whenever you can touch a real spot of pain, you can have a real long-lasting business.

Yes, YouTubing is difficult, but that difficulty is part of the test. If you master it you have a story to tell, and a business to sustain your family. At some point you YouTube channel has to cease being about you and take on a bigger mission. You've just stumbled onto that.

For me it was being sick on not catching fish. Seeing all these other fishermen spending tons of cash and they weren't catching fish either. Everything I do is about solving the basic problem of finding and triggering fish to bite. That started a business that continues to grow to this day.

This is a big opportunity for you. Seize it. If you don't someone else will, and they'll be the one with 100k subscribers that you could have had.
That was amazing @Damon!

OP
OP
BraveStarrTG

BraveStarrTG

Life Is A Game
@TanookiAlex has a lot of difficulty creating videos: You're not alone. We usually have to wait up to 10 hours just for our one minute clip to upload. It has integrated graphics and cannot export that well, and it cannot play games, really.
In addition to that, since she's a video editor that cannot afford the video editing software , we cracked it and sometimes it shows this red X when applying certain effects.
Yea, that's how it was before. My PC was slow and I couldn't afford even a basic editor. But with time and luck I was able to get better at it.

Reactions: Bitbat
OP
OP
BraveStarrTG

BraveStarrTG

Life Is A Game
Dude, forget gaming videos, you've just stumbled onto what your YouTube channel could be. How many parents out there are trying to start something, but busy family life keeps getting in the way? Take us on that journey. Help people out. Begin experimenting with this problem, share what you've learned, and don't be afraid to share the successes and failures.

Yes, YouTubing is difficult, but that difficulty is part of the test. If you master it you have a story to tell, and a business to sustain your family. At some point your YouTube channel has to cease being about you and take on a bigger mission. You've just stumbled onto that.

For me it was being sick of not catching fish. Seeing all these other fishermen spending tons of cash, and they weren't catching fish either. Everything I do is about solving the basic problem of finding and triggering fish to bite. That started a business that continues to grow to this day.

I hear ya. To be honest, while I still want to continue making gaming videos what I really want is to make an educational channel. One that can help people who find things to be too difficult to get an easy to learn tutorial that can help them. I'm still working on that idea. Maybe I can include trying to run a YT channel while parenting as a stay at home dad. There is also another kind of video I want to make but have not been able to convince myself to do it. I've had a really hard personal life and have had to deal with a lot of pain and suffering because of it, still am to this date. I was thinking about talking about these problems maybe in the hopes of helping others find someone they can relate to and perhaps help feel better. My struggles have been real but I have somehow managed to keep it in check. Yes it hurts and sometimes I just wanna spend entire days crying but although I spend a lot of time being negative I try not to let that negativity rule my life and am always trying to move forward and make things better. I have 3 reasons never to give up and give in but I spend a lot of time wondering why people do the things they do that cause others pain and understanding why so many choose what they think is the easy way out.

I may try to find the time to make a video about the topic of suicide and no I am not suicidal. That's not me but I do wanna talk about it. Just may need a new channel to do it.

Beanie Draws

The only real problem I have with YouTube is the editing side of things. It's a real chore for me. I also get some general social anxiety, so when I'm inundated with comments it can be a bit overwhelming for me to the point I want to close youtube and hide for a bit. It's something I have to get over. I love the community I've grown, but I guess the expectations put on my and the responsibilities of beaning a community leader in my comments is a bit intimidating and overwhelming at times. It's like my moodswings though, it comes and goes, so sometimes I get excited by all the attention I get, other times It scares the heck out of me as well.

Outside of editing, the only thing I struggle is the future that most people don't tend to consider. Everyone seems to be chasing "fame" yet they don't seem to be aware that "fame" comes with lots of disadvantages if you're not prepared for it. If you don't protect your privacey and say the "wrong" thing, you can end up with stalkers and dedicated haters. People complain about 1 thumbs down, but they don't take into consideration the things Boogie2988 has to go through. So the more fame and success you achieve, it's not just about the videos anymore, it's about security which few seem to talk about, because the more you talk about it, the more the trolls get ideas. I've seen lots of trolls in my times attacking all sorts of people and it's really scary to watch others go through that, so that's kinda what holds me back a little bit as well, so I rather my work do the talking.

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
I've seen lots of trolls in my times attacking all sorts of people and it's really scary to watch others go through that, so that's kinda what holds me back a little bit as well, so I rather my work do the talking.
Thus a most practical implementation for cinema verite: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinéma_vérité
Most YouTubers spend too much time talking and not enough time simply filming what they're doing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BraveStarrTG

BraveStarrTG

Life Is A Game
I can't deny the fame is alluring. It's in my nature to crave attention. But I don't plan to expose my entire life to the world through YT. At least not like some popular YTers do in order to get more connected to their fans. I don't do personal videos of locations that I am in, at least not at the moment. But I'm sure that secrecy won't last forever.

TanookiAlex

TubeBuddy Star
I used to crack the software, but then i realized it was illegal. I actually got the real version uncracked now, as i don't want to get a copyright strike.

But yes, you are right that it is slow.

OP
OP
BraveStarrTG

BraveStarrTG

Life Is A Game
How does Linux work?
Its just like windows. Only its not. It does take a bit of knowhow to mess with it but its not that difficult. It use to be a lot harder only a few years ago. Nowadays they made it easy enough for almost anyone to install and use.

Reactions: Bitbat

Bitbat

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy User
How does Linux work?
Most of the things are a lot like windows. Linux has a brain , called the kernel, and since it derives its code from open source millions of people are contributing to it. You don't install things using a installer, you install it via the apt-get install command.
In terms of the terminal, it is highly advanced.

Ikerot

Not a mod
Ikerot.com
Hey guys, try to not derail the topic :)

Do you find it difficult to create videos for your YouTube channel? Do you have obstacles that keep you from trying to create or stick to schedules to create videos?
I'm behind schedule, and I'm always stressing about it (even though my subscribers tell me not to worry haha, I can't help it). My biggest obstacle is not being able to stick with my schedule and/or getting extremely distracted xD

So I just need to manage my time better.

Tito Tim

TubeBuddy User
When my kids were home it would have been harder for me to edit vids. After they moved out I moved to the Philippines, and the noise here is almost non-stop ha ha. I regularly have roosters, dogs, and *thump thump* stereos in my voice over tracks. Such is life. I am not camera shy, but am shy to record around a lot of people. So for a restaurant review I will record while there, then add voice over later (I turn down the original clip sound some). At like an event I have no problem hooking up my mic & selfie stick (or tripod) and record. Probably because so many others are recording too.

Reactions: BraveStarrTG
OP
OP
BraveStarrTG

BraveStarrTG

Life Is A Game
When my kids were home it would have been harder for me to edit vids. After they moved out I moved to the Philippines, and the noise here is almost non-stop ha ha. I regularly have roosters, dogs, and *thump thump* stereos in my voice over tracks. Such is life. I am not camera shy, but am shy to record around a lot of people. So for a restaurant review I will record while there, then add voice over later (I turn down the original clip sound some). At like an event I have no problem hooking up my mic & selfie stick (or tripod) and record. Probably because so many others are recording too.
LOL, I have similar issues here in Puerto Rico. Between the dogs in the neighborhood, including mine, the chickens in the yard, the cars passing by (the back of my house faces the main road in my town) and the neighbors working on their stuff outside plus my windows needing to be open and have the fan on to avoid turning the room into an oven, its not easy to record without noise. I use Audacity a lot to clean up most of the background noise and its usually pretty good but my mic is terrible so the quality gets worse. Though I hope to change that in a week when my new mic gets here.

kunicross

TubeBuddy Pro

I always figured trying to be a YouTuber would be difficult. I had little experience with video editing, my hardware is extremely low quality and old and I'm still a little camera shy, especially with people around. But I never figure that just being able to create footage in order to produce a video to upload would be such a pain to the point of frustration and almost depression.

As a gamer, I figured the easiest way for me to get a foot into the Youtube world was to use my passion for gaming as my source for footage to create content for a channel. At first, it was mostly just gameplay with maybe a little bit of my voice here and there. During this time I did tons of research learning how to edit videos, create and add images and text and edit music. As I got better at videos and images I started creating my own logos, intros, outros, and banners. And eventually started adding commentary to my videos.

At first, it wasn't too hard to make videos. No commentary meant no worries that anyone around me would interrupt, disrupt or make me feel uncomfortable. I played when the kids were in school, rendered and uploaded while everyone slept. It got more difficult as my kids became more addicted to PC gaming but I pushed on.

These days it seems the more I try to make videos the more obstacles appear that keep me from getting anything done. This week alone I lost 4 days and the next 3 will be pointless to record as well.

Monday my 15-year-old was sick to his stomach almost vomiting (legitimately) so he stayed home. While here he would either watch TV or get on the PC and sometimes chat with friends who happen to be on Spring Break this week. On top of that the neighbor, who has a really loud Chevy Nova, decided to work o his engine thus making a ton of noise I could not block out. So I couldn't record.

Tuesday I had to take my 15 and 8-year-olds to an appointment with the pediatrist thus they missed school that day. My 15-year-old is already inconsiderate of the noise he makes and thus I can't record while he's home, my youngest is super hyper, loud, obnoxious and has zero understanding of consideration. So, no recording this day.

On Wednesday I had to take my mom to a doctors appointment. So First I took my sister to work in order to keep her car to take my mom to the doctor. I took the kids to school then took my mom to the appointment, 30 minutes away, getting stuck in traffic for at least an hour. I then had to rush back home to go to my son's school to sign some papers, then rush back to pick my mom up. Then I had to pick up my sister for lunch to return the car. At this point, I figured I had some time to record a little but nope. My wife harassed me to go out again to play some lottery tickets before the numbers came out. I had to walk to the store. Once more I tried to get some recording in before the kids got home only to have my wife call me to tell me my youngest got out at 2 PM. We didn't know about this because he didn't go to school the day before when they gave the notice of early release. There went the little time I had to record.

Today Thursday. What could possibly go wrong? Well, my 15-year-old didn't go to school because there was a field trip that he was not part of and there were only gonna be a handful of kids in school so he decided he wanted to stay home instead of being in a class with a few kids doing nothing all day. So again, no recording because he's already on the PC (which is in my room) while listening to YouTube videos on his phone really loud and will eventually start chatting with his friends who are on Spring Break. So, no recording today.

But what about Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Well, Saturday and Sunday everyone is home and awake at the same time so there is definitely no possibility of me recording commentary on these days. And Friday? Oh, the irony. It's a holiday here in Puerto Rico which means the kids get a long weekend. So, say it with me. No recording on Friday.

At this point, my only option is to wait till next week and hope no one gets sick, there are no holidays or field trips, no one needs to be taken to appointments and I am not in a mental hospital by then. But Monday is still 3 days away and we all know a lot can happen between now and then.

I have a few ideas that could solve some of these problems but it's gonna cost me thus it's gonna be a while before I can implement them. I'll have to move the desktop PC to the kid's room thus removing the annoyance of them being loud when playing and chatting with friends but I'll need a way to add ethernet to that room. Wifi is not useful in a house made mostly of concrete plus gaming on Wifi is terrible. That room will need an A/C because we don't have central air and that is the hottest room in the house. This will keep the kids on their room, out of mine thus more privacy and less noise.

So there it is. I never figured making YouTube videos was so difficult. There's an old saying: Misery loves company. So, anyone else have this much difficulty creating YouTube videos?
Didn't I recommend to involve your kids a bit? My son really likes helping me edit (well mostly he chooses transition effects) he also really likes taking pictures and stuffc - ok in my situation it might be different a bit since I'm only with my kids on weekends and vacation.
I'm not talking about uneccessary exposure but having a hobby together might bring the whole family closer together and actually most of the more successful channels are actually group efforts - just found out about one guy who mostly talks on a table and fixed frames that he actually has a crew of 2-4 people running around behind the camera (for whatever).

For me creating content is not so much of a problem any more, I always had more ideas that I possibly ever could realize - for me it's always a difficulty to actually start doing stuff I want to do.
like for example I wanted to review "stuff" for quite a while but never truly felt qualified to do so and it took me about 2 years till I finally did it.
The same with my idea of recording monuments and such where I had the impression I need to read a couple of books on each one before I possible can do that because I was really afraid I could give a false information despite my far above average historical knowledge.
Now I think recording the state at this point and sharing my knowledge and thoughts on the matter has some merit.

I guess my biggest problem still is that I can't quite say how much attention each single video will get so I'm often very disappointed (turns out some of them got some attention much much later) if I put much effort into a project which does not get any success and sometimes (often) the videos I consider my worst work get way too much attention - overall that keeps me having not having a constant level of quality and success.

The only real problem I have with YouTube is the editing side of things. It's a real chore for me
I feel you - after I read a bit about Brazilian telenovela production I got to the "one take" mindset and that often helps.

The worst so far have been all the projects where I was going in with the idea of adding voice overs in post - I had 2 big video projects where I did that and both got delayed over a year just for that single reason - I learned from that and now take much effort to get the audio straight into the video right away. If I do a German and English version of the same video I usually film it twice now because that is still better then doing a voice over on one of them. (for me editing it)

Yea audio editing is even much worse than video editing for me.

stressing about it (even though my subscribers tell me not to worry haha, I can't help it). My biggest obstacle is not being able to stick with my schedule and/or getting extremely distracted xD
I know that as well btw I really like your new avatar. :)

Reactions: Ikerot