• Guest - TubeBuddy now has a BLOG! Click Here to learn more!

Question How did you guys start learning video editing?

Bitbat

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy User
Just wondering how everybody on here started learning video editing? What steps did you take? What resources did you use? What resources would you recommend for new or experienced video editors if they want to start learning more?

TanookiAlex

TubeBuddy Star
I started learning how to video edit when i was 11 years old. I would play around with Imovie, and just adjust the settings. My videos were horrible in quality, but i did it because i just wanted to have fun with my friends.

The steps i took to upgrade, when i truly started taking interest because of my subscriber number, was going on skillshare, and taking irl courses at my local school. This took me over a year.

BraveStarrTG

Life Is A Game
I started video editing with a program (can't remember the name right now) that allowed me to turn pictures into an awesome video with transitions and music. I made a beautiful Sweet 15s (we celebrate 15s in the Latin community) video for my niece. Got my sister to get me pics of her for every year to show her growing up. This also helped me learn how to edit audio with Audacity in order to fit the song to the length of the video, a song that was about Sweet 15s in Spanish.

From there I messed with Techsmith Camtasia for my first videos on YT and then I got my hands on Vegas Pro thanks to a Humble Bundle deal. I simply did research on Google search reading websites and watching tons of Youtube videos. If you use Vegas Pro I recommend JustAlexHalford, he makes pretty good and easy video editing tutorials for Vegas Pro.

Reactions: Bitbat

Ikerot

Not a mod
Ikerot.com
Haha I used to make terrible AMVs on Windows Movie Maker back in 2008. Those were fun times. I got Sony Vegas (well, not by Sony anymore) back in 2014ish and I was doing pretty much basic editing. I generally don't like looking at tutorials because they tend to drag on and not get to the point, but I will look them up if I can't figure it out myself.

Afterward, I made the decision to move to Premiere for its fast rendering speed. It was hard, but I went cold turkey and uninstalled Vegas Pro so I wouldn't try to go back on it to edit xD

I mainly know the basics and some tricks up my sleeves (from tutorials), but that's about it. I'm always learning more ways to edit and learning easier methods to the things I've been doing.

Reactions: BraveStarrTG

Aaron

First editing experience was Windows Movie Maker in like 2007 I think but my first proper training was iMovie in High School. After that I've self taught most of what I know about editing via help from books/YouTube/friends.

RazzBarlow

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy Pro
I downloaded DaVinci Resolve and just jumped in with both feet. Watched a few tutorials on YouTube and then just started doing it. I figured there would be a learning curve with whatever program I chose, so I chose that one and started "curving". I really like what the program has to offer and am probably only using a small portion of it's functionality at this point. (I've been using it a little over a month) I hope to grow my skills, but will have to upgrade the hardware first. My current PC is really starting to chug when I edit. Saving my pennies. :)

Reactions: Guitar Hack

Guitar Hack

TubeBuddy Pro
I downloaded DaVinci Resolve and just jumped in with both feet. Watched a few tutorials on YouTube and then just started doing it. I figured there would be a learning curve with whatever program I chose, so I chose that one and started "curving". I really like what the program has to offer and am probably only using a small portion of it's functionality at this point. (I've been using it a little over a month) I hope to grow my skills, but will have to upgrade the hardware first. My current PC is really starting to chug when I edit. Saving my pennies. :)
Great answer and same for me.

@Bitbat Just jump in and practice. (Believe me I need the practice)
DaVinci is unreal for a free editor and highly recommended.
No need to splurge too much on PC components, especially your graphics card. I run a 2GB GTX650 with no probs or bottlenecks.
Use PC Builder to get a good idea of what you should get. Aim for workstation performance.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/PCBuilder
Where I found the best tutorials? I would begin editing and when I wanted to know something, Google was my friend.
Cheers

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
I bought a book called "How to Shoot Video That Doesn't Suck" by Steve Stockman. Very good book on how to capture and hold people's attention with video. He hired a storyboard artist to illustrate his points. The chapter are super short and well illustrated. This is an artistic brief.

"The DSLR Filmmaker's Handbook" by Barry Andersson is a technical manual illustrating real world methods for using dslr/mirrorless cameras in real world production environments. I refer to this as I'm planning my short film "Sugar, Fly." If you want to learn about lighting, lenses, adding motion to your shots, sound, the whole production, this is your book.

From there I bought "Documentary Storytelling" by Sheila Curran Bernard. Once you understand the basics of editing, and you get your head around the technical production techniques, you begin to realize that you can take on bigger projects. That's why I bought this book. In it she teaches how to tell stories instead of boring old documentary films of yesteryear.

If you only bought one book, buy the Steve Stockman book. That will lay a foundation. You'll learn things that most YouTubers don't do. For me it changed everything on my YouTube channel. once I started shooting like that I noticed an uptick in views, watch time and subscription rates.

The next thing is watch movies and TV, notice how they shoot, how long they stay at one camera angle before moving to something else. Don't watch for entertainment purposes, watch critically and analytically. How did they start? Is it holding your attention? Where did they lose you? how did they win you back. What kept you watching. What made you walk away? Once you start thinking like this, then you'll learn editing, you'll learn the language of motion picture.

Beanie Draws

I just basically jumped into search and entered in anything I needed knowing, such as how to trim, how to speed things up or slow things down, eventually that went to learning more advanced things like keyboard shortcuts and using templates, but I still have much to lelarn.

DragoNate

TubeBuddy Star
I just started playing with Windows Live Movie Maker. When I realized I couldn't do things like green screen (chroma key) or put pictures/videos on top of videos & resize them and such, I looked for a program that did.
I found MAGIX and literally started fooling around with it. There's a bunch of videos I made where I'm just messing with stuff, trying to see what the program allows :D

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
I loved the art of story telling, and I wanted to know how I could do that as a job. I loved movies as a kid, and editing is one of the best ways to tell a story, so my passion for what I wanted to do lead me to film. Whether it's my own, a teams, or anyone's as long as I'm telling stories I'm happy. I started on Windows Movie Maker, and now use the Adobe Suite of tools, and I couldn't be happier :D

Reactions: Aaron