Need Advice Translating videos or not?

Photoguy

New User
Subscriber Goal
I'm thinking of translating videos and wonder if that could generate growth? That shoould increase the probability that they get more exposure right?

kunicross

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Didn't you ask a similar question before? Or is it about translated subtitles this time? ;)

Generally if you are fluent in several languages there is no reason not to use the same video template for each of them - I think my German channel will outpace all my other from the looks of it at least at some point.

Subtitles make only sense if you got significant viewership from that area so usually not really.

Many major youtubers started translating their video titles into German recently and I think it is more annoying because it's mostly confusing and makes not much sense overall. (maybe they have really amazing German subtitles too then it would make kinda sense)

TanookiAlex

TubeBuddy Star
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I'm thinking of translating videos and wonder if that could generate growth? That shoould increase the probability that they get more exposure right?
Translating videos is good, however, it can be costly if you don't know how to speak the language. I usually translate videos into french, as i know how to speak the language. It's good to update your channel description in two languages, or the language you speak, as you can attract viewers from both sides.

Updating subtitles yourself can be time consuming, but its worth the effort.

Ikerot

Not a mod
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
YouTube is international after all so there is a lot of opportunity for people from around the world to watch your video :)

You can always check with TubeBuddy's language analysis in the Translation tab in the video edit menu to see the top 10 spoken language from your channel's audience.
1552077414040.png
It can help you out on which language you want to translate to.

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
YouTube is international after all so there is a lot of opportunity for people from around the world to watch your video :)

You can always check with TubeBuddy's language analysis in the Translation tab in the video edit menu to see the top 10 spoken language from your channel's audience.
View attachment 2532
This is really helpful! it does a lot, but the main problem is finding reliable closed captions when you don't speak the language :X

OP
OP
Photoguy

Photoguy

New User
Subscriber Goal
Didn't you ask a similar question before? Or is it about translated subtitles this time? ;)

Generally if you are fluent in several languages there is no reason not to use the same video template for each of them - I think my German channel will outpace all my other from the looks of it at least at some point.

Subtitles make only sense if you got significant viewership from that area so usually not really.

Many major youtubers started translating their video titles into German recently and I think it is more annoying because it's mostly confusing and makes not much sense overall. (maybe they have really amazing German subtitles too then it would make kinda sense)
You're right o_O

I see, I can understand the frustration when it's not translated correctly. Good point.

Translating videos is good, however, it can be costly if you don't know how to speak the language. I usually translate videos into french, as i know how to speak the language. It's good to update your channel description in two languages, or the language you speak, as you can attract viewers from both sides.

Updating subtitles yourself can be time consuming, but its worth the effort.
That's good. I can translate at least into two languages. Maybe worth learning hindi:joy:

View attachment 2532
Cool tool, very useful I can imagine. I should look into that.

This is really helpful! it does a lot, but the main problem is finding reliable closed captions when you don't speak the language :X
Maybe it's worth only translating the titles if for example my videos doesn't have any dialouge?

kunicross

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
You're right o_O

I see, I can understand the frustration when it's not translated correctly. Good point.

That's good. I can translate at least into two languages. Maybe worth learning hindi:joy:

Cool tool, very useful I can imagine. I should look into that.

Maybe it's worth only translating the titles if for example my videos doesn't have any dialouge?
Given your overall channel size and how much actual work it it's to created good captions I guess you'd be better of investing the time in making more viedos instead. (unless you have another channel)

Creating captions is a lot of hard work and Usually you'll see that only a very small percentage of your audience does actually use captions at all. (also you can check how well the automatic ones do work - for example I somtimes get better automatic captions then my us buddies but other times youtube creates German captions for my English videos which can get quite bizarre)

Beanie Draws

View attachment 2532
Dang that's cool!

And for OP. If you're fluent in 2 languages, definitely translate the second main language if you have the ability to do so. If you can't afford it, youtube I think allow you to open your videos to community translation to help translating to other languages if you can't afford a professional service to do it, or don't know the language.

My second largest audience is Portuguese, I can't speak it myself, but if I could, I'd include translations of that in all my videos.

@Beanie Draws There is an autogenerate button on the Portguese language for Closed Caption translations/subtitles. You could use that. it's probably not 100% correct, but it might make it semi-understandable in other languages. YouTube actually has this autogenerate button on about 70+ different languages that you can translate your closed captions to. I would love it if TubeBuddy made a tool that would bulk translate captions using that autogenerate button since it is built into YouTube.