• Guest - TubeBuddy now has a BLOG! Click Here to learn more!

Question Are videos with low watch-time (ratios) hurting a channel substantially?

Greneey

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Hi guys.

We all know our goal should be to get a high watch-time. Sure. BUT!
I am planning to release a pretty special video as a 50 subs special. (It feels so F*ing awkward to start from 0 all over again :D) This video for sure won't be for everyone and will be around 20 mins long.
It will be a 360┬░ (8K) video which is leading through my entire setup and recording process of a video in my studio. People interested in workflows will for sure like it but the average viewer wont.

So I predicting an average watch-time of around 1 minute.

Back to the core of my question. 1 Minute of 20 min would be like 5% of the Video.

Is a single Video which is performing only 5% of watch-time in some way hurting an entire channel where other videos are around 40% to 60% watch-time?
Are there any papers/proofs for that?

I mean I actually don't care I gonna release that video anyway. But since I really love such details I would like to know if there is anything that's well-known.

Thanks, guys :)

Aaron

Hi guys.

We all know our goal should be to get a high watch-time. Sure. BUT!
I am planning to release a pretty special video as a 50 subs special. (It feels so F*ing awkward to start from 0 all over again :D) This video for sure won't be for everyone and will be around 20 mins long.
It will be a 360┬░ (8K) video which is leading through my entire setup and recording process of a video in my studio. People interested in workflows will for sure like it but the average viewer wont.

So I predicting an average watch-time of around 1 minute.

Back to the core of my question. 1 Minute of 20 min would be like 5% of the Video.

Is a single Video which is performing only 5% of watch-time in some way hurting an entire channel where other videos are around 40% to 60% watch-time?
Are there any papers/proofs for that?

I mean I actually don't care I gonna release that video anyway. But since I really love such details I would like to know if there is anything that's well-known.

Thanks, guys :)
My understanding has always been that poor watch time on a video would affect that video specifically... Not sure how much it would affect the channel as a whole. I do know that when you have particularly good watch time that YouTube basically promotes the heck out of you. I would like to think that it is the channel average overall that makes the most difference... One bad video could hurt that but the more good ones you have to offset it might remove the problem?

Also a bit off topic... 360 degree 8K? Dude R.I.P. Your computer and internet LOL!

OP
OP
Greneey

Greneey

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Thanks. Yeh, that's what I could come up with too but I am hoping someone has a more exact explonation.

Well, the stitching process of 40 mins footage took only 7 hours last night (highest "slowest" encoder settings). So I am actually fine! :D
(Let's take it this way. 50 subs do not represent my experience and infrastructure ^^)

Reactions: Aaron

Aaron

Thanks. Yeh, that's what I could come up with too but I am hoping someone has a more exact explonation.

Well, the stitching process of 40 mins footage took only 7 hours last night. So I am actually fine! :D
(Let's take it this way. 50 subs do not represent my experience and infrastructure ^^)
Oh trust me... I get sub count not matching experience and infrastructure ;) but 8k kills even the beefiest of setups LOL 7 hours is brutal :joy: Would love to see the final video when its up.

OP
OP
Greneey

Greneey

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Oh trust me... I get sub count not matching experience and infrastructure ;) but 8k kills even the beefiest of setups LOL 7 hours is brutal :joy: Would love to see the final video when its up.
oh trust me... That video is not going to be good. shoot on a insta 360 Pro in a room where all walls are less than 3m away from the camera. Optical-flow-stitching everywhere!! It's like back then when TV-Stations started to use the "morph-transition" to hide jump-cuts :D

So back to On-topic :)

kunicross

TubeBuddy Pro
From having some often watched and some barely watched content I wouldn't say that a single video has much impact at all - you also will sometimes find channels with viral videos making very little out of that on their other content.

It would be suicidal insane if a single video made too much impact, if any creator could kill their channel with one bad upload their wouldn't be many left. (Logan Paul was trying hard without success)
Same on the other side if a single viral video let you take over trends and recommendations only one channel would be left.

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
I personally think it might affect your channel in a minute way, but one video hurting an entire channel? Ehh... Once you post more videos, it barely looks like a dent.

Will @Andrew on this :thinking:
Basically it won't hurt your channel. It COULD hurt how many people are served your next video in subscribe boxes. YouTube's logic, well if a lot of the audience didn't watch this, maybe we should test this, so not to spam them with their subscriptions. That's kind of what causes the "Broken" sub boxes, but it's based on your audiences behavior. Focus on creating content they subscribed for, and you should be fine!

Paul

TubeBuddy Legend
I don't think low watchtime on a video will hurt your channel. I still have my very first videos I uploded on my channel back in 2009 and I'm still growing just fine... You're in the experimental phase of growing your channel. Upload that video and see what it does! Who knows, it could be your breakout video. Or overtime viewers might find this video in search or the more your channel grows subscribers might want to see what other videos you have on your channel.

What I would do, is give a value proposition and and call to action within the first 30 seconds, to let you know in the comments if they enjoyed the video or what they would like to see on the channel in the future ect... Get your audience interacting with you. Good luck! -Paul

OP
OP
Greneey

Greneey

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Forget the algorithms, computers, figures and numbers. Just upload and go. You have to upload and watch what happens over a long period of time. That the only data that can tell you anything. Everything else is a guess.
I disagree. I want to build up a serious channel. If I want to "upload and go" I can use one of my other channels, Vimeo or any other platform. On my current channel, my intent is to do it "right" and not fall for well-known issues.

btw: thx for your inputs everyone.

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
I disagree. I want to build up a serious channel. If I want to "upload and go" I can use one of my other channels, Vimeo or any other platform. On my current channel, my intent is to do it "right" and not fall for well-known issues.

Well, okay, if you already know what's right then why are you asking for advice here? Everyone here is giving you the same advice. You don't even know what's right for your channel yet. That's your first task. You have to find out what works for your channel and your aducience and your workflow. There are no rules. Only you can find what work for your channel and that will require experimentation, as most everyone has told you this in different forms and ways.

There are things that I do that are "wrong" that totally work for my channel and my audience, things that no one has told me. Some things can only gleaned from uploading lots of content, gathering lots of data over long periods of time, thus now I can narrow in on exactly what is working.

My channel is serious. I started as a business first outside YouTube, then added YouTube to my business afterward, and this is what I do for a living. There are others like Paul who have very serious Channels where they have made a living as well, people who's lives depends on what they're doing on Youtube. not to mention andrew who is running TubeBuddy's channel, yet they all went though a period of experimentation because there are no rules or right or wrong. We're doing things that most of the world is afraid to do. That's why we're doing it and they aren't.

If you're just looking for the "right" way to do things, you're really in the wrong industry. This isn't McDonald's or a day job where someone tells you what to do or not to do. You alone have to devise a way to craft, test, observe and build based on what works. It's a much longer and harder path because what works for your, your channel and your audience may or may not comply what what experts say is the "right" way to do things.

That is the way. It may not be what you want to hear, but that is what everyone has told so far. It's up to you to decide what you want to do and why.

Last edited:

kunicross

TubeBuddy Pro

Truth being told when starting out nothing really matters as much as consistency.
Even successful channels by SEO experts usually are just one of many attempts by them.

I think the things that really are to avoid is stuff like sub4sub and spamming, copying other people's (and companies) stuff.

I think in therory if you manage to produce high quality, good original content on a regular basis that will bring success sooner or later - the problem is the later part because it's very very hard spending whole work days making a "perfect" video and then having nobody watching it - it can be emotional and financially crushing as well as not being rewarding.

That's why most people usualy do somewhat lackluster content till they get successful and then improve their quality dramatically. (it's often really funny watching very old videos from successful people if they haven't taken them down.)

Reactions: Paul and Damon

EV Nick

TubeBuddy User
I personally get bored of even the best YouTube videos after about 15 minutes/20 minutes if you don't think its going to engage your audience maybe its a waste of your own time and resources? Unless your going to enjoy making it in which case do it!

I look at my videos from 3 angles if it meets 2 of them i make the video.

Will my audience love it?
Will I enjoy making it?
Will it attract a new audience?

if it doesn't meet 2 of these i won't make the video as even if i enjoyed making it but it ranked so bad the views were super low it would deflate me as a creator, I try ensure every new video i release now ranks better than my last 10 uploads so am always trying to make a top 10 of my last 10. Since this goal my channel subs per day has took a leap from 4 a day to averaging 7 a day.

Its going to depend how you look at youtube and you place within it, your channel is yours and its up to you to make your own decision

kunicross

TubeBuddy Pro
I just had one last, maybe closing thought on the issue:
I think it's one of those situations where the worst thing to do is doing nothing in fright of doing the wrong thing. ;)

Reactions: Paul and Damon

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
I think in therory if you manage to produce high quality, good original content on a regular basis that will bring success sooner or later - the problem is the later part because it's very very hard spending whole work days making a "perfect" video and then having nobody watching it - it can be emotional and financially crushing as well as not being rewarding.

That's why most people usualy do somewhat lackluster content till they get successful and then improve their quality dramatically. (it's often really funny watching very old videos from successful people if they haven't taken them down.)
I love watching old content from original creators! The thing is , YouTube's a search engine first and foremost, and unfortunately some content that's original isn't that search friendly. It's our jobs as creators to find ways to make it that. That's why our creation process isn't done at upload. We have the thumbnail, title, description, keywords. It's difficult, but that's the game and I love playing it.